Is there a lifespan for Wedding photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Hi Guys,

Just meet a 15 yrs veteran wedding photographer/videographer who told me that a wedding photographer career can at most last till he/her is 45 yrs old. By then, our bodies cannot take the strain of the workload anymore and young couples will also think that our style is too old fashion. What's next for wedding photographers after they have past their prime?

lifespan? when God thinks Death shall invite him , he will die i'm afraid.:bsmilie:

excuse my lame humour. anyways, my dad has been an avid wedding photographer in his yesteryears and it is very exhausting. he retired eventually after 2-3 years when he was still in his 20s.

when the couples start calling you uncle, it is the time you should exit the wedding photographer industry.

there are many things that a mature professional photographers can excel in, so not to worry to much if you are a professional.

btw, good luck to you if you only know how to shoot weddings.

Hi Guys,

Just meet a 15 yrs veteran wedding photographer/videographer who told me that a wedding photographer career can at most last till he/her is 45 yrs old. By then, our bodies cannot take the strain of the workload anymore and young couples will also think that our style is too old fashion. What's next for wedding photographers after they have past their prime?

After 45 years old most wedding photographers are filthy rich enough to retire and to shoot XMMs for fun in their lesiure. :bsmilie:

I'm 26 this year doing wedding photography very actively + approx 20% of my time allocated for commercial photography - interior, architecture and food.

I plan to recruit associates photographers into the company, so by the time I'm 30, I will market the bulk of wedding assignments for my associates. As for myself, I'll probably just do 10-20 weddings a year, and the rest of the time dedicate to commercial works.

Lifespan for anything depends on the individual.

Wedding photographers must be presentable, move fast, uptodate with the latest needs and constantly evolve. Like every other company.

That said, wedding photography like every other company can grow, or not. If you are entrepreneural, whats stopping you from opening a wedding studio, training new associates and take up more of a managerial role. If you operate a one man show, you will always be a one man show. I asked a veteran with 25 years experience and he told me he does not shoot anymore because it is "sai kang" **** work. He only does the post production and the meeting of clients. But he still shoots for his mega important clients.

Also if you are a photographer today it does not mean you will always be a photographer. Did you know the current director of the Singapore Flyer was a press photographer when he was young, then went on to co-produce Ternimator Movies, then now he owns all the "flyers" world wide.

So my answer is yes, no and maybe.

Is there a lifespan for soccer players?

For me, since I love doing what I do, I will do till my neck breaks.:)
We all live life only once yah!

The term to use is 'shelf-life', not 'lifespan' :p

I think the only factor that affects our lifespan is stamina. Try taking 3 weddings in a row at the age of 45 years old compared to 25 years old.

Some wedding photographers are so passionate about their profession that they come back to shoot even after you bury them. :)

err....7th month now ....

The lifespan is when u dun have the passions for weddings, some 1 mth, some 10 years.

Like in anything, there is a lifespan.

If you freelance and when all your peers have gotten married, you will realise the number of assignments you get a year can hit a big fat zero.

Nothing is forever. Case in point - Even the Olympics have to end after 2 weeks. Life goes on and you move on to do other things.

When people think your shooting style is "lao pattern". Or, if you price yourself out of the market.

Hi Guys,

Mate, there's a lifespan to EVERYTHING...

The point is that whatever you do, you have to stay relevant. Upgrade, read, practice, do whatever it takes to be the leader in your chosen field. What I see a lot of wedding photographers is to be like everyone else - walk to any of the wedding shops and you see the same stuff, same pose, etc. Where's the breakthru? Where's the art? Where's the uniqueness that people want to pay you to get their lifetime memories?

My wedding was shot by a well known guy like 9 years ago. Until today, his works continue to WOW. I take my hats off him...

If you start thinking about "lifespan" then you should not do it 'cos you lost half of the battle already. If you are worried about the bodies can take the pounding, then maybe a more "relaxing" field should be the choice. Then again, is there ever such thing as a "relaxing" work?

When you are in the business, naturally you will think about the next move because money and interest will bring you there.

Go with the flow mate...!

Cheers.

Haiz, this thread remains me of.... one of my teacher....James Ho. SOB SOB...

Haiz, this thread remains me of.... one of my teacher....James Ho. SOB SOB...

who is James Ho? Was he a famous wedding photographer? What happened to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.