Is there a Diploma in Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
I was checking on some of the major institutions in Singapore. Realized that only NAFA offers a Certificate in Basic Photography course. Does anyone know if anyplace offers a Diploma in Photography? I remember during my uni days in melbourne, they offer diplomas and degree in photography. Not in Singapore?

bumortic said:
yes there is in NAFA

According to its website, there's only the certificate level. Unless they use another name for photography under the diploma course.

I think you're referring to the Diploma in Visual Comms. That's a full time programme. I was thinking of doing a part time diploma.

sbs99 said:
yup theres a diploma for photography in Nafa. i have tat.

Do they have it Part Time? I can't seem to find anything on the NAFA website. Pls help.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
eh lundy, upgrading ar? got more info please share.
Yah, thinking of going to school again to absorb some hardcore knowledge on this field. Heard from fren say that there is a part time Dip in Photography at NAFA, duration about 1.5 years. But I can't find it anywhere. :dunno:

how about a real solid education...plus get paid?

assist assist assist!....
back when im in nafa..all they teach you is technique and a little theory.... never about professional practice marketing or pricing your work..

and you dont need a diploma in photography for photography, trust me clients wont be impressed nor will it be usefull.

chill

zig said:
how about a real solid education...plus get paid?

assist assist assist!....
back when im in nafa..all they teach you is technique and a little theory.... never about professional practice marketing or pricing your work..

and you dont need a diploma in photography for photography, trust me clients wont be impressed nor will it be usefull.

chill

Yeah, I know exactly what u mean. I'm already in this line and have been focusing on marketing, biz strategy and positioning for quite a while. It's been years and I missed the the 4 walls of the classroom. It will be fun.

So far there is NO diploma courses in Photography area in Singapore. BTW, why do you really need a diploma. It's just a piece of paper.

What you need it's pure hands on experience with regular shooting. That is more more valuable than a Diploma/Degree/Masters. Although I have a Degree in Photogrpahy but it's the 3 years experience in overseas plus 10 years working experience is where i learn to better myself to be better photographer.

With someone experience to guide you and motivate you that will lead you to become a better photographer. Critic session is where you learn your mistakes. Not just shooting shooting and keep on shooting blindly.

Just like zig mentioned, your client will not be impressed if your portfolio sucks even if you have a Master's in Photography. Correct?

Pro Image said:
So far there is NO diploma courses in Photography area in Singapore. BTW, why do you really need a diploma. It's just a piece of paper.

What you need it's pure hands on experience with regular shooting. That is more more valuable than a Diploma/Degree/Masters. Although I have a Degree in Photogrpahy but it's the 3 years experience in overseas plus 10 years working experience is where i learn to better myself to be better photographer.

With someone experience to guide you and motivate you that will lead you to become a better photographer. Critic session is where you learn your mistakes. Not just shooting shooting and keep on shooting blindly.

Just like zig mentioned, your client will not be impressed if your portfolio sucks even if you have a Master's in Photography. Correct?

Absolutely. Since I'm in the midst of practicing one, maybe I'll do both.

mmm since you are already in this line for a while.... i really dont see how a photo dip might help you wor... it may even hinder you as you might be slowed down by yer much younger inexperienced peers....

also im not sure if there is a part time course on photography...
you could take a full time visual comm diploma choosing to major in photography in the final year... but still the dip will be visual comm

again being in this line for quite sometime i dont think they can offer you any new technique... the only thing i forsee you will get maybe is a more disciplined way of thinking and conceptualising..

why not think about a cert or pt dip in art history? its gonna discipline your mind very much too! and it will help give your work depth.

think it this way. you know how to play the guitar by ear well...
but you dont know music theory...dont waste time learning grade 1 guitar again...
go straight to music theory lessons.

zig said:
why not think about a cert or pt dip in art history? its gonna discipline your mind very much too! and it will help give your work depth.

That makes sense too. Any more info or links for me to research more on this?

i suggest assisting for real experience than studying. photography is not really an academic subject.

sbs99 said:
i suggest assisting for real experience than studying. photography is not really an academic subject.

eh.......assisting is one way to learn if you can take the punishment...

1) Long Hours.....
2) Sometimes work during weekends.......
3) Have to make good coffee.......!
4) Quick witted.......
5) Have knowledge in basic lighting techniques.....which you need to learn from institutions like Stanley Lim Colour Centre, PSS, Objectives, SAFRA and so on....
6) NO ATTITUDE PROBLEM.....which i get a lot from freelancer assistants
with little or no experience. So will only hire those with experiences.
7) Be early for work or assignments.

And the list continue.....

Although Photography is not an academic subject but it can still be taught and learn as well......a faster and easier way is to get your basic understanding on setting up strobes/flash and knowing what the photographer needs. Not that we expected them to be pro assistance as each one learn differently. As long as you know your basic knowledge in photography, life will be easier for you.

the diploma will only help in the technical knowledge & not the artistic factor.. even learning arts, like drawing, you only learning the technical aspect from the course not how you going to artistically picture your drawing...

Status
Not open for further replies.