Is there a cheaper option for Nikon Flash SB600 for D50 DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tengcc

Jul 31, 2006
Hi Bros,

I am a newbie and I am really very tight on budget regarding getting a flash for my Nikon D50. I was told the cheapest Nikon flash is SB600. Can any bros advise me whether is there a cheaper alternative flash that can be used easily on my D50 without doing much adjustment?
I went to Alan Photo at Sim Lim and one of the salesguy told me there is one, about S$100+ flash that can be used on D50 but they currently do not have stock.

Thanks for advice. in advance.

tengcc said:
Hi Bros,

I am a newbie and I am really very tight on budget regarding getting a flash for my Nikon D50. I was told the cheapest Nikon flash is SB600. Can any bros advise me whether is there a cheaper alternative flash that can be used easily on my D50 without doing much adjustment?
I went to Alan Photo at Sim Lim and one of the salesguy told me there is one, about S$100+ flash that can be used on D50 but they currently do not have stock.

for nikon own brand theres only 2 option if you want ttl which are either sb600 the cheaper one or sb800 the superior one. for 3rd party, do look at sigma 500dg super, its features is close to sb800 but at slightly higher than the price of sb600. :thumbsup:
if im not wrong those $100+ flash doesn't have i-ttl.

ExplorerZ said:
for nikon own brand theres only 2 option if you want ttl which are either sb600 the cheaper one or sb800 the superior one. for 3rd party, do look at sigma 500dg super, its features is close to sb800 but at slightly higher than the price of sb600. :thumbsup:

Thanks ExplorerZ for yr help. I am not too familiar with TTL, kindly advise. I have checked several place for SB600 and the cheapest I enquire was about SGD330. the 2nd hands one are selling around SGD240-250. As mentioned, my budget are really tight. Is there any other options that I can have? Thanks.

ExplorerZ said:

absolutely right.

there is a reason why, whichever brand u are on, they recommend using original flash cos only then u are using ur cam's features fully, in this case iTTL.

dun scrimp on the short term and end up spending more on the long term. if u can't afford the SB600, save first and chiam see tong with the on-cam flash first.

i used to use sigma 500DG flashes on my ex-canon system. not dat they dun work. however, the end effects are somewhat erratic.

The versatility of Nikon Flash Photography is one of the many reasons why many chose it (Nikon) as their system.

Don't compromise. Either the SB600 &/or the better SB800.

If not ready, save for it.

yyD70S said:
The versatility of Nikon Flash Photography is one of the many reasons why many chose it (Nikon) as their system.

Don't compromise. Either the SB600 &/or the better SB800.

If not ready, save for it.

Ok noted all yr advice. BTW, where can I get a good price for SB600? I was at Sim Lim this morning, the cheapest quote I've got was SGD330/-. Is that a good price? Thanks.

tengcc said:
Ok noted all yr advice. BTW, where can I get a good price for SB600? I was at Sim Lim this morning, the cheapest quote I've got was SGD330/-. Is that a good price? Thanks.

yes...the price of this flash is at this price, no need to walk so much and find...

tengcc said:

try the usual haunts instead - CP, TK Foto, Mscolor etc. just a personal pref - i never trust shops from SLS.

nightwolf75 said:
try the usual haunts instead - CP, TK Foto, Mscolor etc. just a personal pref - i never trust shops from SLS.

Ok, thanks. But what is yr opinion regarding used flash, ie SB600. The cheapest I've got quoted is about SGD240/- with 6mths guarantee. I am really desperate and I am trying to find ways and means to cut corners.

tengcc said:
Ok, thanks. But what is yr opinion regarding used flash, ie SB600. The cheapest I've got quoted is about SGD240/- with 6mths guarantee. I am really desperate and I am trying to find ways and means to cut corners.
a 2hand sb600, $240 is a pretty good price for one with 6mths warr. for flash i would go for new 1 with warranty... got pretty bad experience cos my flash ended up in Nikon "chalat" twice in just 3mths :cry:.

ExplorerZ said:
a 2hand sb600, $240 is a pretty good price for one with 6mths warr. for flash i would go for new 1 with warranty... got pretty bad experience cos my flash ended up in Nikon "chalat" twice in just 3mths :cry:.

Thanks bro for yr good advice. That was what I was more worried about, ie cannot know whether 2nd hand flash was dropped or damaged before. Gees, so difficult to get a flash. I was praying hard to win something for tonight's 4D. Life is really about choices!!!

ExplorerZ said:
...for 3rd party, do look at sigma 500dg super, its features is close to sb800 but at slightly higher than the price of sb600...
noob question: in creative lighting, can those sigma (super) flashgun be used as wireless remote commander (main) for nikon SB800 (slave) and vice versa?

manila gorila said:
noob question: in creative lighting, can those sigma (super) flashgun be used as wireless remote commander (main) for nikon SB800 (slave) and vice versa?
not very sure for this, since i don own a sigma, all i have is just a sb600. good enough for me but just wish the flash power could be slightly stronger

the thing to worry is the bulb.

YMMV
haha 1st was becos of bulb, but 2nd time was becos of some unknown reason my LCD blinks non-stop while shooting 1/2 way... does everything but still the same, so ended up going NSC and was told some circuit borad was replaced (all the function still up and working tho). :what: (good thing still under warr)

actually, there is no need to get a sb600 or sb800.
They make for mindless shooting because they syn very well with the new system. Of course,sometimes, this mindless shooting is needed because of the fast pace nature of the work or photography subject.

In the old days of film and auto flash, the flash usually work independently of the body. The photographer have to learn how to compensate/adjust in order to get good exposure ( or desired exposure).
Nowadays, with ittl etc and what, photographer have it easy and complained that a flash is lousy because it gives them erratic exposure. I say that the photographer is lousy instead.

Get a sb28 with ur budget( it should be about $150 second hand) and learn how to use it.
btw, shops in sim lim is okay. You just have to know what is the market price before you go.
I frequent edison and alan photo. Cathy and Ms color will not cheat you because of their reputation but they do not give the LOWEST price in town.

cosycatus said:
They make for mindless shooting because they syn very well with the new system. Of course,sometimes, this mindless shooting is needed because of the fast pace nature of the work or photography subject.

In the old days of film and auto flash, the flash usually work independently of the body. The photographer have to learn how to compensate/adjust in order to get good exposure ( or desired exposure).
Nowadays, with ittl etc and what, photographer have it easy and complained that a flash is lousy because it gives them erratic exposure. I say that the photographer is lousy instead.

Get a sb28 with ur budget( it should be about $150 second hand) and learn how to use it.
btw, shops in sim lim is okay. You just have to know what is the market price before you go.
I frequent edison and alan photo. Cathy and Ms color will not cheat you because of their reputation but they do not give the LOWEST price in town.
true, but you will not be using the powerful i-ttl which is also one of the best features across all brands of dSLR. I know some canon user envy this feature like what Nikon user envy their sensor. :bsmilie:

cosycatus said:

Bro, thanks for yr advice which is what I am trying to get at, ie must I really need a SB600 to take pictures? yes, I am on budget and if SB28 can do the work to take a decent photo, I am alright with that. Thanks for yr help. :thumbsup:

tengcc said:
Bro, thanks for yr advice which is what I am trying to get at, ie must I really need a SB600 to take pictures? yes, I am on budget and if SB28 can do the work to take a decent photo, I am alright with that. Thanks for yr help. :thumbsup:
Got another option - SB-800. But it isn't cheaper :bsmilie:

tengcc said:
Hi Bros,

Use your built in flash....if you know how to use it properly...it also can preform well...

if you die die want external flash...get a SB600 lor...

Same with westwest1. use internal flash. if die die must buy then buy SB600 else dun waste money buying SB600. Save more and get SB800 instead. Maybe from B&S section you can get for $500+ is really worth in the long run. Else you will one day say "Aiya shall get SB800"

Status
Not open for further replies.