Is there a big diff compare being a singaporean, a pr, or a foreigner

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiki

Sep 16, 2004
weekee.fotopic.net
Is there a big diff among the 3? Just feel that although I am a Singaporean (pink ic), i am not sure about my rights or privileges. Any comments?

wiki said:
Is there a big diff among the 3? Just feel that although I am a Singaporean (pink ic), i am not sure about my rights or privileges. Any comments?

Yep there is a great differance with the 3 status you mentioned above.

Are you looking for the small prints on the pink card that says:
"Membership has its priviledges. Terms & conditions apply."?

Lots of differences when it comes to employment matters, such as income tax, opportunities, rights of residence in the country, work permit etc etc.

Pro Image said:
Yep there is a great differance with the 3 status you mentioned above.

pls tell us leh.

Prismatic said:
Lots of differences when it comes to employment matters, such as income tax, opportunities, rights of residence in the country, work permit etc etc.

Sad to say not much difference between Pink IC and PR.
PR already have right to work (that's why PR). When comes to employment, there isn't any advantage having Pink IC unless the interviewer makes it a personal agenda to do so. I should know 'cos I was involved in interviewing potential new staff. I want to limit interviews to just locals but co policy (& maybe MOM) doesn't allow for "discrimination". How sad. :cry:
There's a cheeky saying .... many Singaporean wants to upgrade to PR status. ;p It isn't funny if you read it against the back drop of having to serve/"waste" 2-3 years of NS to protect Singapore just so foreigners & PR and work here 'cos they couldn't find jobs in their countries 'cos their gov isn't efficient enough or taking care of them. gezz. :angry:

nova_nebula said:
It isn't funny if you read it against the back drop of having to serve/"waste" 2-3 years of NS to protect Singapore just so foreigners & PR and work here 'cos they couldn't find jobs in their countries 'cos their gov isn't efficient enough or taking care of them. gezz. :angry:

hoaah, such a harsh comment. i suggest that you try improving yourself to be more competitive instead of complaining :nono:

ust so foreigners & PR and work here 'cos they couldn't find jobs in their countries 'cos their gov isn't efficient enough or taking care of them. gezz.

I think it is very dangerous to generalise to such a ridiculous extent. I choose to work in Singapore for many reasons but none of them relate to my inability to find work in my own country or because the government wouldn't take care of me.

Let's not get into a 'foreigners are bad because they come here and take our jobs, money and women' debate as it simply isn't true and I would like to think that members of this community are more intelligent than that. It's bad enough having to put up with all the 'Ang Mo' comments in threads, which in many other countries, including where I am from, would be considered racist and inappropriate. Maybe some people could learn from our tolerance?

Phildate said:
I think it is very dangerous to generalise to such a ridiculous extent. I choose to work in Singapore for many reasons but none of them relate to my inability to find work in my own country or because the government wouldn't take care of me.

Let's not get into a 'foreigners are bad because they come here and take our jobs, money and women' debate as it simply isn't true and I would like to think that members of this community are more intelligent than that. It's bad enough having to put up with all the 'Ang Mo' comments in threads, which in many other countries, including where I am from, would be considered racist and inappropriate. Maybe some people could learn from our tolerance?

I find your comments interesting. What would your reasons be for working in Singapore?

I don't get what you mean by "Maybe some people could learn from our tolerance?" Who would you be speaking on behalf of?

Reasons for working in Singapore: safe, clean, low corruption, low tax, low GST, central for travelling in the region and beyond, good salaries, good climate (if you like the warm!) to name a few.

Guess I am speaking on behalf of all the Causcasians who are on CS - if they are anything like me they brush off the 'Ang Mo' comment but if you think about it, we are really quite tolerant of this. I don't think I have ever seen in this forum or any other photography forum a case where a particular race of people are given a nickname. In the West we would be harshly criticised for doing such a thing. Therefore I am suggesting we are quite tolerant whereas the poster of the quote seems to be very intolerant of foreigners in Singapore.

reachme2003 said:
pls tell us leh.

Just step into SIR (Singapore Immigration) to ask any of the officer in charge about the differance.

or alternatively you can go to this website....

http://app.ica.gov.sg/index.asp

and send them an email about your question.

Guys.....let's not get too hot over this topic.

Phil, if they only know you well enough. Phil you are not speaking on behalf of just the Causcasians only but also those who are working here as a foreigner.

Coool down.....Phil when you free for a Pint?

Generally Citizens are entitled to more "goodies" from the government as compared to PRs. For example, if a child is to be entitled to claim child care subsidy, and if the child is a PR, one of the immediate family member must be a Citizen to qualify.

nova_nebula said:
There's a cheeky saying .... many Singaporean wants to upgrade to PR status. ;p

I don't see what's preventing you from renouncing your Singapore citizenship and applying for PR status.

Guys if you have the opportunity, you should try working in other countries as well.....to experience the big differance from Singapore.

I have work in Australia before. I am a Malaysian who works in Malaysia too. Now I am PR in Singapore. The best is to try out and you will feel the differance.

Alhough I do not get the privelage as a true Singaporean but I have too say that it's nice to work here as I have made many good friends.

Pro Image said:
Coool down.....Phil when you free for a Pint?

To quote Samuel L Jackson, "I'm Cool and The Gang". Going to be really busy for next few weeks as have a production to do stuff for at The Esplanade. After that off to Cambodia for a week to do some charity work but will be around after that. We'll catch up and put the world to rights :)

I am also a foreigner working here. The reason I came here is because Singapore is a safe country and the $ gets me further than my own currency, and also I enjoy the experience living overseas. My PR status allows me the flexibility to change employer. Are those the previleges that some people have been talking about?
Apart from those, I do not enjoy other benefit. I pay my taxes, make some small investments from my savings, make 'donations' to Great Singapore Sales.

Some of us here are Singaporeans working in other countries. Perhaps their experience is not too different from ours but I hope they are welcome in their adopted countries.

Phildate said:

Without being defensive, "Ang Moh" has been used in two other local photo forums for more than 5 years. A long-timed poster who is a westerner has been so used to it that he even used it.

There are similar or worse terms for Asians in the western world too. I hear them in a regular basis.

If there are sufficient Westerners taking the stand against the term Ang Moh being used here, I think most CSers would endeavour to respect their wishes.

nova_nebula said:
PR already have right to work (that's why PR). When comes to employment, there isn't any advantage having Pink IC unless the interviewer makes it a personal agenda to do so. I should know 'cos I was involved in interviewing potential new staff. I want to limit interviews to just locals but co policy (& maybe MOM) doesn't allow for "discrimination". How sad. :cry:
There's a cheeky saying .... many Singaporean wants to upgrade to PR status. ;p It isn't funny if you read it against the back drop of having to serve/"waste" 2-3 years of NS to protect Singapore just so foreigners & PR and work here 'cos they couldn't find jobs in their countries 'cos their gov isn't efficient enough or taking care of them. gezz. :angry:

Finally, someone who understands singaporean's sufferings! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.