Is the world coming to an end for computer shops?

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
After a couple of years of not having shopped at Funan Mall, I was surprised that so many computer shops have disappeared from Funan Mall! Instead there are no less than 15 "camera" shops :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:
Also there are crowds at these shops and the stocks are quite impressive with models and items.
As for computer shops, most of them have no customers while I was there this afternoon.
Is the world coming to end for the computer shops? :dunno:

After a couple of years of not having shopped at Funan Mall, I was surprised that so many computer shops have disappeared from Funan Mall! Instead there are no less than 15 "camera" shops :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:
Also there are crowds at these shops and the stocks are quite impressive with models and items.
As for computer shops, most of them have no customers while I was there this afternoon.
Is the world coming to end for the computer shops? :dunno:

Tablets are killing the computer market.
Same in KL, we have a place called Low Yat Plaza which is the equivalent of Funan here.
Went there about a year ago only to find most shops have converted to selling cameras.

It is probably more profitable to sell smartphones and padblets.

Except for gamers who probably DIY and graphics pple who probably uses Mac, who else want to buy a computer nowadays.

It's the shifting of lifestyle, our products are getting smaller, slimmer, mobile & powerful. Then of course the media as well. People are now using apps & so influential that websites are becoming boring.

Cameras have a huge appeal & easily sold to tourists so market is far bigger than PCs. My friend is a Mac dealer in Malaysia & with 20million vs our 5mill population, to my surprise, he said that Singapore's market for Apple is 5 times bigger due to exports.

For DIY-ing your own PC... most of us would be going to SLS anyway... not so strange that Funan is losing their old computer shops... higher shop rental at prime location isn't helping... :sweat: