Is the standard of Beauty Contestants Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
I just came back from an dinner invitation to the 2008 Ms Singapore International Pageant, and I must say, if that is the cream of the crop in SG, we will have difficulty winning on an international front.

I reckon about a grand total of 3 contestants were in the very pretty category and perhaps one capable of top 20 in the world.

I mean no disrespect to them, if I had a GF who looked like most of them, it would be a good thing, but objectively, they did not shine. I mean, I can see at least half a dozen helpers and volunteers from the Singapore Women's Assoc. who organised this who looked better...

No pics to share.. I brought my camera, but there was a ban on photography ( I tend to heed their instructions). Beside you can easily see their faces online and for those looking for Mei Mei shots, there are enough of the typical shots in the portraits section...
Quite dissapointing and I left before they announced the winners...

Last edited:
Started dropping long ago, by now, must dig deep hole if dropping is to be continued!

maybe those females were protesting the lack of male pageant to drool over, in the name of equality... :think:

I just came back from an dinner invitation to the 2008 Ms Singapore International Pageant, and I must say, if that is the cream of the crop in SG, we will have difficulty winning on an international front.

I reckon about a grand total of 3 contestants were in the very pretty category and perhaps one capable of top 20 in the world.

I mean no disrespect to them, if I had a GF who looked like most of them, it would be a good thing, but objectively, they did not shine. I mean, I can see at least half a dozen helpers and volunteers from the Singapore Women's Assoc. who organised this who looked better...

No pics to share.. I brought my camera, but there was a ban on photography ( I tend to heed their instructions). Beside you can easily see their faces online and for those looking for Mei Mei shots, there are enough of the typical shots in the portraits section...

You can see beauty in every woman.

It's not them who are not beautiful.

It's you who don't have the eyes for beauty. :bsmilie:

32213510_434x600.jpg

You can see beauty in every woman.

It's not them who are not beautiful.

It's you who don't have the eyes for beauty. :bsmilie:

32213510_434x600.jpg

I think we have to be able to separate true beauty in that sense compared to what a Beauty Contest is about and historically beauty is almost always about less then skin deep with contest like this. It is a meat market show...as glamorous and intellectual as they want you to believe. I have been involved in these productions previously and I am not so in favour of such events anymore as it is becoming more demeaning to women more then it actually helps celebrates them.

And like you say beauty is beyond skin deep on a intellectual and philosophical level. But we have to sometime call it what it is.

And by the way, the picture you show to me does not represent beauty entirely in my VIEW as you put it. For men to make verbal accessment or just withint their own mind about whether a woman is beautiful or not...it should only be restricted to just that...opinion and words but no further. But FOOT BINDING as in that picture depict. That is just cruel act to make generations of women starting from when they are little baby girls to endure life long years of painful and limb deformation just so they are able to wear those small dainty shoes as they are viewed by men to be beautiful. The practice has stopped thank goodness and hopefully one day ...all those pageant will too as they are nothing more then glorified meat market shows. But hey...since it is still here...let's really talk standards here. Maybe we can offer some passports to ladies in Venezuela to come represent us too...since we are going down the path of politically incorrectness :sweat::devil:

Last edited:
yah, talk about winning at all costs! :thumbsd:

I think we have to be able to separate true beauty in that sense compared to what a Beauty Contest is about and historically beauty is almost always about less then skin deep with contest like this. It is a meat market show...as glamorous and intellectual as they want you to believe. I have been involved in these productions previously and I am not so in favour of such events anymore as it is becoming more demeaning to women more then it actually helps celebrates them.

And like you say beauty is beyond skin deep on a intellectual and philosophical level. But we have to sometime call it what it is.

And by the way, the picture you show to me does not represent beauty entirely in my VIEW as you put it. For men to make verbal accessment or just withint their own mind about whether a woman is beautiful or not...it should only be restricted to just that...opinion and words but no further. But FOOT BINDING as in that picture depict. That is just cruel act to make generations of women starting from when they are little baby girls to endure life long years of painful and limb deformation just so they are able to wear those small dainty shoes as they are viewed by men to be beautiful. The practice has stopped thank goodness and hopefully one day ...all those pageant will too as they are nothing more then glorified meat market shows. But hey...since it is still here...let's really talk standards here. Maybe we can offer some passports to ladies in Venezuela to come represent us too...since we are going down the path of politically incorrectness :sweat::devil:

Sammy, as usual, you depth and insight garnered from being involved in several 'glamarous' and 'desirable' careers past, shed light onto oft glossed topics.

Call a 'spade' a 'spade'?

OK.

It's a damning meat market and flesh parade, regardless of the pretense and socio-psychological emollients rubbed into it and so clicquishly re-packaged as 'XXXXXXX'. At the very least, our country COULD set certain 'healthier triangle passed bla bla bla standards (political correctness employed, please note :rolleyes:), but THE SIMPLE FACT is, as you may already know, such events are organised by the greedy rich ... to get even richer whilst exploiting the vanity and naivette of, oh well, we all know who. :dunno:

It DOESN'T MATTER What quality or qualities is/are represented, as long as there are willing sponsors, and willing consumers willing to exchange currency. That is the basic nature of 'Free-Trade', which is both practiced, as well as encouraged here.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take two hands to clap. One twists, or shall we euphemistically say, 'markets', 'sells', 'promotes' or simply, 'compels' ... while another 'accepts' and collectively, they 'guide' the hands of many others.

THINK... but try not to get too cynical! After all, we need to reconcile, at least within ourselves, our future purchases of iPhonies and D3s and 1D MkVs! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Sammy, as usual, you depth and insight garnered from being involved in several 'glamarous' and 'desirable' careers past, shed light onto oft glossed topics.

Call a 'spade' a 'spade'?

OK.

It's a damning meat market and flesh parade, regardless of the pretense and socio-psychological emollients rubbed into it and so clicquishly re-packaged as 'XXXXXXX'. At the very least, our country COULD set certain 'healthier triangle passed bla bla bla standards (political correctness employed, please note :rolleyes:), but THE SIMPLE FACT is, as you may already know, such events are organised by the greedy rich ... to get even richer whilst exploiting the vanity and naivette of, oh well, we all know who. :dunno:

It DOESN'T MATTER What quality or qualities is/are represented, as long as there are willing sponsors, and willing consumers willing to exchange currency. That is the basic nature of 'Free-Trade', which is both practiced, as well as encouraged here.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take two hands to clap. One twists, or shall we euphemistically say, 'markets', 'sells', 'promotes' or simply, 'compels' ... while another 'accepts' and collectively, they 'guide' the hands of many others.

THINK... but try not to get too cynical! After all, we need to reconcile, at least within ourselves, our future purchases of iPhonies and D3s and 1D MkVs! :bsmilie:

Oui...go get some sleep lah...go firework shooting and drinking beer and talking kok whole night in town not enough har? heheheheheheeh....:sticktong ... superficial nonsense like this you also kapor and burn your precious braincells heheheh...

Oui...go get some sleep lah...go firework shooting and drinking beer and talking kok whole night in town not enough har? heheheheheheeh....:sticktong ... superficial nonsense like this you also kapor and burn your precious braincells heheheh...

Burn? Nope, the sleep deprivation as well as very marginal intoxication heightens perception and perhaps, alters perspectives a bit. You should be familiar with ... the theories and applications of which.

CENSORED! BLIP! BEEP! HEE! TEE! HEE!

SIGH Sammyboi, my dear boi boi ... SIGHZZZ!

Last edited:
reply to ur thread title..

"Yes"

and flipping today's straits times.. when u look at the f1 girls....

a even more sadder case.....

so..... in conclusion.. is the standard of beauty contestants / people involved in the selection, really dropping ?

"Big Fat Yes"

GG :thumbsup:

Standard was NEVER there to begin with.

It basically started with a 1 out of 10, now it's about a -5 out of 10.

So to answer your question, yes, the standard has dropped.

The thing is, the good looking ones don't need to go take part in a pageant to boost their self esteem, usually they are already confident about their looks. It's the ho nasty ones which go take part because they need some sort of validation that they are "good looking"'. So it's not to say there are no good looking women in Singapore (though there are few and far in between), but the good looking ones don't take part in the pageants.

Last edited:
Bro, I tend to agree...
There is little effort put into the preparation, I guess also we can never be a beauty factory like Brazil, Peurto Rico etc where it is a whole factory line of beauties each year.

A few could not walk properly, others were definitely comfortable.

BUT

They are sweet, they are pretty, ok, just NOT winners at an international forum.

Most looked best in the sportwear section, in long jackets, and tee-shirts. Only a couple were comfortable in their swimwear and looked good in them. I won't put them under the microscope, thats rude, (I look like turd compared to Brad Pitt anyway) but there was a Japanese video showing winners from other countries before the show (big mistake) and they were miles ahead!

Standard was NEVER there to begin with.

It basically started with a 1 out of 10, now it's about a -5 out of 10.

So to answer your question, yes, the standard has dropped.

The thing is, the good looking ones don't need to go take part in a pageant to boost their self esteem, usually they are already confident about their looks. It's the ho nasty ones which go take part because they need some sort of validation that they are "good looking"'. So it's not to say there are no good looking women in Singapore (though there are few and far in between), but the good looking ones don't take part in the pageants.

reply to ur thread title..

"Yes"

and flipping today's straits times.. when u look at the f1 girls....

a even more sadder case.....

so..... in conclusion.. is the standard of beauty contestants / people involved in the selection, really dropping ?

"Big Fat Yes"

GG :thumbsup:

So low that even a Yan Dao guy here puts on a skirt can win? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

So low that even a Yan Dao guy here puts on a skirt can win? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

maybe can send NikonSiao in and still win hor ? :devil: i think he is not looking so nvm. muhahahhahahahhaa................

The Singtel F1 grid girls, most cannot make it.:confused:

i am glad someone shares similar views with me.... and u sure its most ornot. not ALL ? :sticktong

I think the standard is there, we not talking about xmm again right?

As we age, we grow fond of xmm every day we log into CS.

So, blame the society for making us feel young and yearning for MO shoots.

Maybe you were right, none could really shine on the international platform. But how often is it that you see girls who can in Singapore? Even if you saw a couple few, why is it that they are not in the pageant itself? Being in a beauty pageant is a lot more than just looks because the organisers, image consultants and judges are looking for one that would bring honour to the nation and to themselves when the queen can carry herself well to the world BEHIND the spotlights which is much more important than just being able to make it to top 20 in the beauty pageant. Furthermore, Miss Singapore International is held in the name of charity, so there are no prizes for the contestants. So the contestants are basically just partners in the whole events, how pretty girls are you expecting when something smaller such as Cleo Cover Girl Search can easily fetch the contestants thousand dollars worth of prizes. It really aint easy to start on stage to be scrutinized for beauty and poise and if prettier girls are up to it, they should just take part in the pageant instead of whining about the pageant quality. I am not being defensive just because I am a contestant, I used think likewise. But being a contestant sure has gave me new insights that you probably didn't and can't see that really answers pretty much a lot about why the quality of beauty contests has dropped.

I am glad you got something out of it, and as I said, I don't mean to disparange our local girls, who on the average are still lovely, just on an objective level, it was hard to give points away to some of your fellow contestants.

I am sure you had lessons on poise, speech etc, but some really looked uncomfortable on stage. One looked distinctly unhappy up there, and another wore heels too high for her. I noticed 3 who had the calm poise and charisma to carry on, and would be happy to pm you my opinions, even not knowing which of them you might be.

I give kudos to those brave enough to step on stage, is not easy especially since Singaporeans are one critical lot.

Anyway, I had fun, meeting up with my friends from SWA who asked me to come along to enjoy the night and catch up with them. The pageant was simply a bonus.

PS: wow your post and on such a matter! I believe some of them mentioned they were into cameras and were quite tech savvy, kudos again and I hope you won

Cheers

Maybe you were right, none could really shine on the international platform. But how often is it that you see girls who can in Singapore? Even if you saw a couple few, why is it that they are not in the pageant itself? Being in a beauty pageant is a lot more than just looks because the organisers, image consultants and judges are looking for one that would bring honour to the nation and to themselves when the queen can carry herself well to the world BEHIND the spotlights which is much more important than just being able to make it to top 20 in the beauty pageant. Furthermore, Miss Singapore International is held in the name of charity, so there are no prizes for the contestants. So the contestants are basically just partners in the whole events, how pretty girls are you expecting when something smaller such as Cleo Cover Girl Search can easily fetch the contestants thousand dollars worth of prizes. It really aint easy to start on stage to be scrutinized for beauty and poise and if prettier girls are up to it, they should just take part in the pageant instead of whining about the pageant quality. I am not being defensive just because I am a contestant, I used think likewise. But being a contestant sure has gave me new insights that you probably didn't and can't see that really answers pretty much a lot about why the quality of beauty contests has dropped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.