Is the Slik Sprint Pro good enough for a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technospaz

Sep 13, 2006
Hi there,

I got myself the Slik Sprint Pro Tripod about a year+ ago when I first got my 400D. I sorta lost interest in photography since then but have come back with a vengeance! Aside from the 400D + kit lens, I've also got the Canon EFS 10-22 (my brand new baby). I'm now wondering whether I should upgrade my tripod. Any suggestions? If an upgrade is necessary, suggestions on which tripods (+ heads) would be useful. Please bear in mind that I'm very new so I'm not entirely familiar with the brands, models, prices etc

For those who don't know, the Slik Sprint Pro Tripod can be viewed at http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss2.html

Help/suggestions are appreciated!

TIA,
T'spaz

more than

it still can take your combo on paper.

but i do not expect it to last long - so use it until the head goes, then you can choose to either replace the head (if your legs are still intact, anyways).. or just get a totally new one.

Thanks night86mare! I appreciate your feedback :)

Looks like a good tripod.... maybe i should get one of these...

Using one for about 4 years. Add in a stronger cheapo ballhead less than $50 and serve me well.

Use it for travelling around. Already got it checked in with AirAsia, Tiger, SQ, JAL, KLM.....etc but NEVER BREAK. :bsmilie: Best for it lightness and cheap. No worry about it getting lost, nobody wants to steal it even if I left it unattended. Lost also no heart pain.

i think this is a good tripod.
If u dun like ball head, u can always change and replace to those quick release plate.

Using one for about 4 years. Add in a stronger cheapo ballhead less than $50 and serve me well.

Use it for travelling around. Already got it checked in with AirAsia, Tiger, SQ, JAL, KLM.....etc but NEVER BREAK. :bsmilie: Best for it lightness and cheap. No worry about it getting lost, nobody wants to steal it even if I left it unattended. Lost also no heart pain.
when traveling you hand carry it? or is there a bag where u can slot it in?

when traveling you hand carry it? or is there a bag where u can slot it in?
It comes in a nice bag with one of those pull-type covers (I don't know how to explain it) which keeps it secure. I check it in with my luggage and it's been really sturdy. It's pretty solid and not too heavy which is why I thought it was good when I bought it. Thanks to your replies, I'm quite happy with this one :)

a friend of mine use this tripod with manfrotto 486rc2 for his 30D c/w grip and 17-35 f2.8.

i bought this tripod too.... no more backache for me (as i used to having a 1.5m tripod)

just bought one myself yesterday. needed a light tripod to go with my g2 when travelling light. but will be changing to a giottos mh 1004-320 ballhead. 1/2 the wgt of the original sbh100 but can load capacity is the same as sbh120 (2kg or 4.5lb), which btw, weighs 130g.

the sbh 100 takes 1.6kg, a g2 with battery is 510g. but the tripod mount is off the centre of gravity. a 430ez with battery is about 460g (not directly ontop of the tripod mount also).

What's the price for Slik Sprint Pro right now and at which shops? Also, from the specs, Slik Sprint can handle more load than Slik Sprint Pro, are both available in SG? Guess I should drop by some shops or look at B&S.

What's the price for Slik Sprint Pro right now and at which shops? Also, from the specs, Slik Sprint can handle more load than Slik Sprint Pro, are both available in SG? Guess I should drop by some shops or look at B&S.

I bought mine in Cathay @ Peninsula. About SGD90. I changed to ball head to a Benro BH-0 quick release ball head which cost me another SGD50. Very sturdy for its size n weight. Good for travelling. With everything fully extended, it's marginally OK for my 40D + kit lense.

bought mine at TK Foto at beach road shaw house for $70. change the original sbh 100 to giotto mh1303 (5kg) instead of mh1004 (2kg) as in my previous post. sbh 100 is on flash bracket which gives me lots of adjusting freedom for flash.

had been using it for about 1 week, i m lovin it.:heart::bsmilie:

tip : leave about 1 inch unextended for each section.

is the slik pro good for a 6 footer like me? 181cm tall.

ok for 400D with kit lens? adding in the ballhead will allow the tripod to withstand more weight right?

bought mine at TK Foto at beach road shaw house for $70. change the original sbh 100 to giotto mh1303 (5kg) instead of mh1004 (2kg) as in my previous post. sbh 100 is on flash bracket which gives me lots of adjusting freedom for flash.

im using almost the same setup, sprint pro with mh1002, but curious, why leave 1" unextended?

Hi anyone knows whats the market price for it now? I went to CP a few weeks back and the sales lady had the gall to quote me $150 for it.
When she realized that i thought that it was way overpriced, she even had the audicity to show me her price book and said that it was very cheap already the original price is more than $200!

Does TK still sell this at $70?

Excellent tripod for its price.
Good enough for most purpose & definitely very usable for travelling light.

Can be dismantled further to be placed inside a back pack (eg compurover). That's what i did in a recent trip to France.

Used it confidently to take self shots with D80 with 17-55mm lens by opening up the legs a little wider & weighing it down with a bag.

The only draw back is the original ball head -> it does not have a quick release. So you either add a quick release plate or change to a different ball head that has this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.