is the same question newbies ask, which one to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydreamcamera

Dec 12, 2007
Hi pple out there!

Just join CS, been reading all the forum to find answer, but i thot maybe i should ask the question myself.
My camera is my mobile phone with 2mp, and a sony cybershot at 3.5mp, so i think is time to buy new one.
AM thinking to invest in a dSLR, but which one? Currently staying in aust, so will probably buy one here.
Went to do some research, common attraction is canon eos 400d and nikon40x or d80.
The salesman from one shop says that since i m a newbie, should consider Lumix fx-50, semi SLR, will do the work. Selling at A$899 with tripod, 2GB, case. Almost buy it, but i put it on hold.
Went to another camera shop, the saleman recommend d80, which is abit too expensive for me, 18-55mm and AF70-300mm G twin lens kit is A$1799 or canon eos 400d with 18-55mmIS and EF-S 55-250mm IS twin Lens kit at A$1449.
The last camera shop recommend me Sony alpha100, 75-300mm, 18-70mm, HVLF36AM flash, 2GB and a bag for A$1599.

Basically the grip to me are all okie, just which brand to buy. Can give me some ideas and also is the price ok? Thank you very much.
:)

i think u need this thread from zoosh.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=245883

those price in AUD seems a little high though. u can take a look at the buy and sell section here too...

And if you're looking for the price there's all in their "brand" forum :) here's for canon and nikon...

Canon : http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=184322
Nikon : http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=292045

u can find it in the main page...

Also a word of advise... read up on the reviews... and the most important question is what do u want to take? each brand has its pros and cons... no one size fits all :)

what are the things you're looking for in your DSLR and such... and also whether u really should get a DSLR... as i shared with another fellow CSer.... buying a DSLR is only the start... there's more buying to come... :sweat: more lens, bags, filters, batteries, grips, diffusers, flash, tripod... blah blah the list goes on :)

Well... Welcome to CS! :bsmilie:

Thanks Viewwing.
Basically i think i m rushing to buy one before my oversea trip so i counld start fulfilling my dream.

To me, nikon, canon, sony are all good, just not sure which one to start off. Been reading all the reviews of the 3, feeling it and etc, but i still couldnt decide, unless i m really going with guts feeling.

I read those thread by zoosh. I just wanna start off with photography and do hope can expand my kit in future, just need a body n lens...

The pros n cons doesnt affect me too much, bcos no camera is perfect right...

Do u like sony alpha?

:)

i'm using a olympus :p

but i fiddled with the alpha 100 and 700... not really my type :p

Hi,

I'm using Olympus too E510..same situation as you 4 months back..went thru the C, N and S..did the research on 4/3. Played with these models for a few days and looked up the picturs posted in the 4/3 and was hook.

Give it a try. Very nice kit lens too.

Have fun and do bring the manual along for the holiday. It will help specially if new to dslr.

Go to the shops, try out the various ones that meet your budget and requirements.
You can get a fairly accurate gauge of pricing by looking at the various price guides here in CS.

Starting as a newbie, my choice was highly influenced by friends, all my close friends are Nikon users, so it was easy for me to seek advices and borrow lenses and accessories.

If in the end you still find it hard to make up your mind, just get one from the CS buy and sell forum. Find one that still has warranty so you can have a peace of mind. They play around for some time to find out what are your likes/dislikes. When u have made u your mind months later, you can still sell off the cam at minimal loss.

Dun worry, choosing a cam is not like marrying someone. Not a life or death case. So just choose one that you like and can afford, and kick start the hobby.

By the way, you cannot go far wrong with any of the dSLR currently in the market. Each have its strength and weakness. With built in anti-shake, Sony is value for money ;)

hello.
Thank for the advice. After reading so many reviews and thread, it doesnt bring me a conclusion, but thinking that prosumer wasnt a bad idea to start with after reading nightmare thread.
Prosumer vs dSLR... At this point i have few option, a: buy a Dslr(for serious photography) and a super cheap compact camera(for holiday) or b: buy a prosumer.
Option B is definitely going to be cheaper.
I m going for holiday as well as mission trip(assigned photographer), thinking that prosumer i still can take video, dont need to buy another camcorder, still can hand on on manual setting.
Have friends that are into photography, 50% using nikon, 50% using canon, this make me really hard to decide which one. My budget is around AUD$1500, so i can buy canon or nikon or sony. The thing is only which one... i have tried holding the 3 camera, canon seems to be lighter for me, but pple say the built not as good as nikon.
oh my goodness. Although is different from marrying, but i just wanna buy one and dont regret u see... took me a while to save $1500. heehee.
so... i m still arrived nowhere... hope to buy before xmas...
hai....

You should get a DSLR, can last very long time :)
Just think which brand you are comfortable with.

If you ask me it'd be a Pentax, not because im a Pentax user, reason i bought a pentax is just because of its cost-effectiveness :) best bang for the buck.

But it won't be as user-friendly to a beginner. I feel that the Nikon D40X is really awesome at being very user-friendly and it might just be a good one for you, heard that its kit lens is pretty good.

Just remember, its just a tool, its the picture that matters. You most probably won't go wrong with any choice :) You simply have to make a compromise since every camera has its own pros and cons.

Allow me to share some of my experience with u :bsmilie: i've :bsmilie:been through ur path... only that i have already walked through it....
a: buy a Dslr(for serious photography) and a super cheap compact camera(for holiday) or

bad idea... why? cause when u see the picture QUALITY of the DLSR you'll never bring that cheap compact... not saying the picture is better but it will be sharper when u open it. compacts are usually more noisy unless its a closeup picture.

so in this case i rather u buy some gear instead of another camera.

b: buy a prosumer.
Option B is definitely going to be cheaper.
I m going for holiday as well as mission trip(assigned photographer), thinking that prosumer i still can take video, dont need to buy another camcorder, still can hand on on manual setting.

a better idea if you're going on a mission trip and holiday. why?

A prosumer say panasonic FZ18, Fuji S8000D, canon S5 IS.... just to name a few... are great prosumers.

they do macro, wide angel and SUPER TELEZOOM. you will never get that with 1 lens with a DSLR... and also the weight is perhaps 3-4 times more with a DSLR...

And it is a great camera to practise snapping away... you don't have to worry about settings and such and concentrate on the framing of the pictures first. settings will come later. And prosumer also allows u to play with manual settings. Some even allows u to shoot in RAW format.

as for the video... its ok for short clips for memory sake... it will never make it to a presentation material... the quality is too poor... at most u'll get vcd quality...

when i travel... its either my E-510... or its my fz5+sony dv cam. btw... the latter is still lighter.... :bigeyes: yes lighter. video cam takes videos and camera takes picture. i may be wrong, but there isn't really any that can do very well at both... not even those with >6 Mega pixel CCD.

End of the day... if $1500 is your budget... a prosumer would be more sensible... with DSLR... its always buy buy and buy...

so.... think about what i said. if it makes sense and feels right. End of the day we're just trying to help u decide. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.