Is the Pentax distributor distributing anything? Anyone got a DA20-40 from anywhere?

timo

Jun 10, 2005
Serangoon Ave. 4
www.pbase.com
I thought the DA20-40 might be an interesting (although expensive) lightweight alternative to lens-swapping. Not much heavier than an 18-55, about the same as a 50-200.

Orient Photo say they don't have it in stock and don't know when it will be in stock.

SLR Revolution say they don't have in stock and have never ever ordered it.

APD the distributor say they don't have any stock and won't stock it except in response to dealer orders - what is going on here? A chicken-and-egg/vicious cycle/self-fulfilling prophesy situation.

They all sounded on the phone as if I had tried to order something totally unexpected, like a pet elephant.

Does the lens really exist or is it a phantom? Do Ricoh/Pentax actually want to sell anything?

Rant over. For now.

Tim

Last edited:
I think if you are interested, you would need the retailer to place an order with the distributor for you. Do check the price before placing and order.

The last check of the lens price with the distro previously, it is damn bloody expensive. Not even sure if it is worth buying at all.

Ranchy, my point is that even the distributor doesn't stock it. The girl on the phone seemed completely surprised by the enquiry and couldn't even give me a price. How not to sell products.

Ranchy, my point is that even the distributor doesn't stock it. The girl on the phone seemed completely surprised by the enquiry and couldn't even give me a price. How not to sell products.

The girl on the phone is just the receptionist. Always looked shocked even if faces to face inquiry of Pentax product

I think if you are interested, you would need the retailer to place an order with the distributor for you. Do check the price before placing and order.

The last check of the lens price with the distro previously, it is damn bloody expensive. Not even sure if it is worth buying at all.

whats the price quoted? Based on my knowledge of lens prices in Japan and Singapore, i expect it to be about S$14xx?

Hi Timo, i do get your point. During my last chat at the distro, I got the impression that they did not even bring or place any order to stock up at their side for the DA20-40. As shared by Felix, I think the girl could be the receptionist.

whats the price quoted? Based on my knowledge of lens prices in Japan and Singapore, i expect it to be about S$14xx?

Yama, I really can't remember the price, i remember he was mentioning above $1.1K or more..

Hi Timo, i do get your point. During my last chat at the distro, I got the impression that they did not even bring or place any order to stock up at their side for the DA20-40. As shared by Felix, I think the girl could be the receptionist.

Yama, I really can't remember the price, i remember he was mentioning above $1.1K or more..

1.1k is ok then..same price as Japan..

to be fair to the distributor, it did brought in a demo unit here but i guess response wasnt very great then and maybe tats why they do not want to bring in the lens

to be honest i did not expect myself to buy this lens..it was only after i have a chance to try the lens in Japan that i decide to buy it..Is $1.1k a fair price? i am not so sure since the cheaper the better right? but i am glad that i bought it because its good enough for me that i can bring just this lens out instead of DA21 and FA31

i am not sure if there is another copy in Singapore but if there is enough interest, i am ok to do a small gathering for people who want to try the lens..just need to buy me coffee...

Last edited:
Hmm. Not sure If it is really 1.1k. I cannot remember on the pricing. Hope what I say is not wrong. Lol

Ranchy, yes I think the price that Orient Photo said it would be IF they had it was something like $1128 - didn't note down the number but it was in that area. So I think you are about right.

Tim

Last edited:
1.1k is ok then..same price as Japan..

to be fair to the distributor, it did brought in a demo unit here but i guess response wasnt very great then and maybe tats why they do not want to bring in the lens

to be honest i did not expect myself to buy this lens..it was only after i have a chance to try the lens in Japan that i decide to buy it..Is $1.1k a fair price? i am not so sure since the cheaper the better right? but i am glad that i bought it because its good enough for me that i can bring just this lens out instead of DA21 and FA31

i am not sure if there is another copy in Singapore but if there is enough interest, i am ok to do a small gathering for people who want to try the lens..just need to buy me coffee...

I would be very happy to fund a coffee or even several coffees. It would be great to try it out - hate buying lenses 'blind'. Actually I am not sure it is that expensive when you compare it to the alternative ways of covering that range - the big question is whether it is any good. If it's just half a step up from the 18-55 then it wouldn't be worth it (I would the put Sigma 17-70 in that category). The 16-45 would make an interesting comparison - I sold mine years ago, probably stupidly ...

Tim

Give jimmy teo a call and see if nuphoto can bring in the lens you need nine8777eightnineeight. If I got any flash or sigma lens I go thru them because service was good and fast and got a mini pentax showroom. You want the HD 560mm they also can bring in hahaha and I also got my HD teleconverter from them too

I would be very happy to fund a coffee or even several coffees. It would be great to try it out - hate buying lenses 'blind'. Actually I am not sure it is that expensive when you compare it to the alternative ways of covering that range - the big question is whether it is any good. If it's just half a step up from the 18-55 then it wouldn't be worth it (I would the put Sigma 17-70 in that category). The 16-45 would make an interesting comparison - I sold mine years ago, probably stupidly ...

Tim

i think everyone has different expectations when it come down to whether is it worth it..for me, i had the tamron 17-50 first then the DA*16-50..after comparing the 2, i sold the DA*...then i got the DA20-40 and sold off the tamron..the thing that swing it for me is that the lens is sharp enough for me wide open..a constant f2.8 is nice but after travelling to Japan and Vietnam with the tamron 17-50, i realise i still prefer a smaller normal zoom lens even if its not a constant f2.8

are you free this sat? we meet at funan at about 2pm? if you ok then i will start a new thread for the mini gathering

some recent pics from the 20-40

15660096472_58bb114fc5_c.jpg

15656584251_e02d64e838_c.jpg

15659268975_4644321f90_c.jpg

Last edited:
With the prices from overseas stockists like Adorama and B&H plummeting, it doesn't make sense to buy local anymore.

Example: Pentax K5IIS with battery grip and 64GB SD card going for just US$599/-......... :O

With the prices from overseas stockists like Adorama and B&H plummeting, it doesn't make sense to buy local anymore.

Example: Pentax K5IIS with battery grip and 64GB SD card going for just US$599/-......... :O

Well depend on how you look at it, I compare prices between new in adorama and B&H for example on upcoming 16-85 which is set at 750 us dollars but local distro could bring it in lesser at around 800+ below 900 dollar range. Their sigma 50mm f1.4 price is attractive though hahaha

i think everyone has different expectations when it come down to whether is it worth it..for me, i had the tamron 17-50 first then the DA*16-50..after comparing the 2, i sold the DA*...then i got the DA20-40 and sold off the tamron..the thing that swing it for me is that the lens is sharp enough for me wide open..a constant f2.8 is nice but after travelling to Japan and Vietnam with the tamron 17-50, i realise i still prefer a smaller normal zoom lens even if its not a constant f2.8

are you free this sat? we meet at funan at about 2pm? if you ok then i will start a new thread for the mini gathering

Mini gathering at? I can go to learn more about past present on lens from your point of view though, best if we can spot some XMM and try diff lens snapping

I agree with bro yamasaki...i tried b4 at apd when i sent in my cams for cleaning...i was in a rush that time and stayed abt 5-10mins...the lens is quite sharp wide open and feels is good when holding...i lov the takumar design hahhaa....if i could i will meet up with u bro but this sat i work till 4pm so may not....haizzz :(

Enjoy the lens....:)