is the Nikon SL 168 tripod better than other 20-30$ random tripods?

daineax

Apr 13, 2010
:)

I noticed it has the hook thing for adding weight, and a quick release plate, and it extends to a decent height(although yeah shouldn't extend it all the way, but in case!) The Nikon tripod is the one that came free with some dslr purchases I think, but some people are selling theirs at around $30 as they're upgrading/have their own tripods probably.

I was just wondering if it had any particular areas in which it was worse than 20-30$ random tripods from Sim Lim/Mustafa :)

Its better then not having one and for $30 why not...

it will serve until you find out what you are looking for in the tripod.

Mine is a free gift from Nikon...might be the same model as yours...I'm a lazy guy who seldom use tripod unless for fireworks...so to me, it serves me very well...

hi dianeax, when choosing a tripod, consider the following:
1) What camera & lens do you expected to put on the tripod. if you're just using compacts, you don't need something very heavy-built. But if you're going to use the tripod to hold a pro DSLR and a telephoto lens for instance, you're going to need a stronger tripod.
2) Next is the tripod 'head'. Again the build depends on your camera/lens combination. I'll NEVER go for any of these plastic swivel heads and quick release stuff. They are prone to cracking and then you see you precious body and lens tumble onto the floor.

Final note: I'd rather buy a good tripod second hand than to buy a 'cheap' tripod new.

Hope this helps.