Is the Nikon D200 worth buying @ $2800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovemuffin

Sep 18, 2004

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the NiKon D200. The Market Price right now is about $2800 incl GST. Does anyone think it's the best time to buy Now?

there is never a best time to buy, you only buy when you NEED it, if you want to wait for the cheapest, wait until its been replaced or buy used 5-10 years from now.

Do you need the D200 camera or just want the camera?:think:

i think probably the price is about 2,750 rite now....but like the rest said....buy only when you need it....... :)

Get it now u lose a few grand!

Get it later u lose millions of precious moments... :think:

If you had to ask this then I'll say don't buy it at all. Since when is there a best time to buy a DSLR? You end up losing. Only redemption is to make full use of it afterwards.

Zenten said:
Do you need the D200 camera or just want the camera?:think:

I guess in my case is NEED .. that's why i pay more at 3200.. but by CC interest free instalment.. no cash to pay in full but NEED to make money. Spend money to MAKE money i guess...:D

hazta said:
Get it now u lose a few grand!

Get it later u lose millions of precious moments... :think:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: .... that moment that you miss, might not come back again....

buy one or two years later or buy a used unit. or get an used D100, which costs less than half the price of a D200 now.

it reminded me of Michael Lum, corporate trainer, who went looking for a new car. he eventually settled for a test drive unit which save him $3,000.

ilovemuffin said:

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the NiKon D200. The Market Price right now is about $2800 incl GST. Does anyone think it's the best time to buy Now?

if you have not tried the D200, it is unreal to tell you based on specs if 2800 is worth it.

F5 was at about 2800 during film days and it was the BEST.

D100 was 3800!!! when 2st released, same as s2pro

s3 was 3000+ too when 1st released.

all that said, try going to a shop and use play w it for a while. logic says ex, but thats how i ended up w a a D200 x MB-200....the feel is .....WOW!

forget about needs...wants...you only live once...get it and enjoy it! but don borrow/steal. only if can afford it then you will enjoy it! ( otherwise you will start to wan to sell when you are busy and camera is doing nothing in hte dry cabinet)

surge said:
if you have not tried the D200, it is unreal to tell you based on specs if 2800 is worth it.

F5 was at about 2800 during film days and it was the BEST.

D100 was 3800!!! when 2st released, same as s2pro

s3 was 3000+ too when 1st released.

all that said, try going to a shop and use play w it for a while. logic says ex, but thats how i ended up w a a D200 x MB-200....the feel is .....WOW!

forget about needs...wants...you only live once...get it and enjoy it! but don borrow/steal. only if can afford it then you will enjoy it! ( otherwise you will start to wan to sell when you are busy and camera is doing nothing in hte dry cabinet)
:thumbsup: D200!!!! :thumbsup:

ilovemuffin said:

There is no such thing as best time to buy (check out KRW site), only which is the best shop to buy from.

HeWolf said:
There is no such thing as best time to buy (check out KRW site), only which is the best shop to buy from.

actually got bad time to buy. Like right b4 a MAJOR price cut.... Like say you bought a 20D right b4 30D was released....

So if you want to take pictures with such a system, dun wait liao... go get, then keep taking pics... then it's worth it.

wind30 said:
actually got bad time to buy. Like right b4 a MAJOR price cut.... Like say you bought a 20D right b4 30D was released....

Before a new model is released, rumours will be floating around, and the price of the old model will be dropping and dropping.

So it's still a good time to buy the older model (old doesn't mean no good) at a bargain. Unless one is not informed of the upcoming newer model, then that's another story (bad buy because of asymetric information, not because of timing).

At 70% functionality near D2X, but less than 50% of the D2X cost and with inbuilt flash. Of course it's a good buy :thumbsup:

I assume you are dead set on getting the D200, with enough reasons not to waver :)

Then it depends on

1. consumer / photographer mentality
consumer - wait till IT Show fairs, hope to grab more freebies
photographer - buy when you have need

2. Price guesstimation over the next 6 - 12 mths
How much you think it will drop, 6 mths later ? 12 mths later?
How much of a drop that you won't feel pain ?
If it drops 300 bucks, some people may feel :bheart: but some still :vhappy: . It's up to you.

3. Product revision
This one is really subjective but some people actually nitpick this much sometimes with good reason though. Cameras rarely have revisions but they do differ a little from batches to batches although insignificant. Getting the revision changes is very difficult. In the good old days, things were mechanical, materials used practically stay the same. Now with electronics, components change all the time. Buffer ram, LCD screen, controller chip etc..

Buy later, you may get cheaper components that are sometimes not as good(eg. slower) or even better(eg. material change). You'll never know.

That said, there is a price depreciation curve for products for which there is a sweet spot. But most of us here are photographers not market analysts :bsmilie:

get it! weather its $2750 or $2800 makes no diff as ur already forking out big bucks, what is $50 or $100 more as compared to the quality ur paying for? :) fyi i paid $2950 just awhile back and i've not regretted ever since. :p

Hi Guys...thanks for all the advice!! I finally gotten my D200 @ $2750 and the 18-200 VR lens for $1280 @ Lord's Camera ( now i'm BROKE:cry: ) . The folks there are pretty friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.