Is the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G for you?

henavs said:
Yup, I know how value for money Nikon f/1.8G lenses are.

I got the 85/1.8G instead of the f/1.4G because for f/1.4G price, I got myself a 85/1.8G & a used 70-200VR1. So I'm thinking of selling D700 + 24/1.4G to get D800 + 28/1.8G. :lovegrin:

I dont mind losing the 4mm as I can get a 20mm to fill in for tight space or landscape.

Ok, at the moment you can reviews some of my shots with it setup on D800 + 28/1.8G at 28mm f1.8G thread..

Ok, at the moment you can reviews some of my shots with it setup on D800 + 28/1.8G at 28mm f1.8G thread..

Ok, thanks

The only bad thing when you stay at passage or balcony at the small space you can't backward on 2 more step an you miss out the 4mm different.

All the rest on 28mm f1.8G should be not much diff on 24mm wide and f1.4 aperture..

When you felt your pocket money has been overfall, even buy leica just like peanut,
Why not you have no reason to own both :)

Ha ha. I like this. Still waiting for my peanuts to overfall. Actually I prefer the sugar coated ones from the Kachang Puteh Man :bsmilie:

do note that theres more of a difference btwn 24mm and 28mm than just angle of view. the whole perspective changes and you will achieve a very different presentation of the same scene with 2 lenses; stepping forward or backward will not change this. im my work, the 24mm perspective gives more pleasant artistic results than the 28, especially for env portraits

28mm to 24mm can be quite a fair bit in terms of angle of view. At 24mm, horizontal angle of view is 73° 44', 28mm 65° 28'. That is like 7 to 8 degress horizontally.

As for Bokeh, the only time i find Bokeh is noticable is when the view is 1:2 or greater at the full mega pixel or printed. Otherwise, is when the Bokeh are highlight Bokeh.

I'm reading the posts here and wondering about the added value to the larger aperture. In my recreational expereince, i would not choose to use a 20 / 24 / 28 for portraits, but rather for landscape, buildings etc. Hence, i don't see the need for bokeh and in fact I want a bit more depth of field...

So, I have never had the dilemma of 1.4 vs 1.8 as my 2.8 is usually set to 4.0 :)

Enlighten me?

ballwackers said:
I'm reading the posts here and wondering about the added value to the larger aperture. In my recreational expereince, i would not choose to use a 20 / 24 / 28 for portraits, but rather for landscape, buildings etc. Hence, i don't see the need for bokeh and in fact I want a bit more depth of field...

So, I have never had the dilemma of 1.4 vs 1.8 as my 2.8 is usually set to 4.0 :)

Enlighten me?

I agree with you.
Just like you buying branded bag such as LV.
He he

henavs said:
Is the bokeh really obvious? Because for 85mm, although on paper the f/1.4G is so much better, not many people can spot the difference in actual usage.

It depend on ur expectation really, for me the bokeh difference is obvious, and i need the 1.4 to shoot makeup session in hdb room.

I do agree 85mm 1.4 vs 1.8 is quite hard to spot the different, but we are talking wide angle here, where it is more obvious to see the difference, at least in my opnion.

24mm 1.4 is harder to use in my view, cos its easy to miss focus if you dun focus properly.

Miao said:
It depend on ur expectation really, for me the bokeh difference is obvious, and i need the 1.4 to shoot makeup session in hdb room.

I do agree 85mm 1.4 vs 1.8 is quite hard to spot the different, but we are talking wide angle here, where it is more obvious to see the difference, at least in my opnion.

24mm 1.4 is harder to use in my view, cos its easy to miss focus if you dun focus properly.

That's why I settle with sigma's 24mm F/1.8 at the moment. The bokeh might not look as pleasing as the 1.4 but it enough for ppl to be wowed.

Agreed.
I'm currently using both 24 and the new 28mm. Wanted to replace my fav 24mm with the cheap 28mm.
After a few tries, i'm really hesitated to sell the 24mm.
As Ben Ang has said, 24mm f1.4 is the best environmental portrait lens. There is no other lens can give you the same perspective and the unique bokeh. It's much more tricky to use 24mm for portrait compare to other lenses. You need to consider the background, the distortion and composition.

Very nicely shot, Brian. Any of the photos cropped?

Thanks!

Well obviously the 16:9 pics are cropped, but all except the second pic are cropped beyond that to adjust the composition. Not quite pro enough to get it right SooC everytime haha...

Those are great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thinking about depth of field, i am guessing that the first photo was shot with a narrow dof / larger aperature. The last ones were not...??

Thanks!

All taken wide open. Can't expect much bokeh once you go beyond a half body crop, since this is a 24mm after all.

Lovely photos