Is the latest cam body that worth splurging on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmaeda

Dec 16, 2007
www.flickr.com
Hi all

For the benefits of the newbies like myself, who are on a tight budget, but still want a DSLR badly, I would like to ask if the latest cam body is worth spending money on?

Mayb I will explain my situation further.

I am on a tight budget of say $1000. I have been comtemplating whether or not to buy a 2nd hand Nikon D70 which has been in the market for abt 4-5 yrs (I guess) or shld I actually save up more and buy a 1st hand Nikon D80 which is still relatively new. But seems like my budget only can allow me the 2nd hand D70

Some of my worries would be that in any case if I bought the D70 and it dies on me aft abt 2-3 yrs of use. Would there still be spare parts at Nikon to repair the cam body for me? Or would Nikon phase out the model and no longer produce parts for the D70 which would have been in the market for abt 7-8 yrs.

I also would like to what are other factors that I shld take into consideration when making the decision.

Cheers

You can choose to go with PENTAX like i did, totally because of value-for-money and quality if u don't mind that PENTAX ain't as major as canon or nikon. K10D costs cheaper than D80, yet has features that par with 40D and D200 range albeit still weaker, but thats a sub $1500 cam(kit) fighting with $2000+ bodies...

Good choice on the Nikon D80 though if you can shell out abit more and interested in NIKKOR lens.

If you want a DSLR badly, u should bite the bullet and do a good choice so it lasts, no point wasting for a 2nd hand, since u are already prepared to pay some big bucks for a camera. Anyone with no experience in photography would say siao, buy camera "cheng wah kor"(thousand plus dollars)!

Good luck, and thats only my opinion, get one that suits u most, find out ur needs! :D

If the latest cam body is worth spending money on?
Do u want those better or newer features?

Whether or not to buy a 2nd hand Nikon D70
Why not, if u can find a good one. D70 (or maybe u should get the D70s) is a good camera.

Would there still be spare parts at Nikon to repair the cam body for me?
Hard to say. Although I think you might upgrade b4 it spoils....

Other factors that I shld take into consideration when making the decision.
Would u consider Olympus or Pentax cameras?
2nd Hand Nikon D50?
What lenses you want?

I would suggest save up and get a 1st hand D80.

A word of caution, photography is quite an expensive hobby.
Camera body aside, you still need some budget for lens, flash, bag, dry box & etc, and lastly never ending upgrading.

Hi all

For the benefits of the newbies like myself, who are on a tight budget, but still want a DSLR badly, I would like to ask if the latest cam body is worth spending money on?

I am on a tight budget of say $1000. I have been comtemplating whether or not to buy a 2nd hand Nikon D70 which has been in the market for abt 4-5 yrs (I guess) or shld I actually save up more and buy a 1st hand Nikon D80 which is still relatively new. But seems like my budget only can allow me the 2nd hand D70

Some of my worries would be that in any case if I bought the D70 and it dies on me aft abt 2-3 yrs of use. Would there still be spare parts at Nikon to repair the cam body for me? Or would Nikon phase out the model and no longer produce parts for the D70 which would have been in the market for abt 7-8 yrs.

I also would like to what are other factors that I shld take into consideration when making the decision.

Cheers

with your budget, why don't you consider the D40/D40X?

If you don't have $$, I suggest you don't buy. Because it won't stop with the latest DSLR.... you'll then want the latest lens, the latest flash, the latest tripod, the latest....

Hi all

Cheers

D300. Isn't much of a splurge. A splurge would be a D3 :D
Hi johnmaeda,

The above-mentioned is not a joke, $2600 for D300 is not a splurge, that is the price tag for this hobby.

In a few years time, you will be spending 10 times of the current budget for upgrading. :sweat:

Cheers

Forget the second hand D70 route (advise from an ex-owner of 2 D-70s). Aside from it already being discontinued, the shutter count is probably pretty high plus the picture quality from the newer generation of cameras is definitely better.

As a Pentax user, I can suggest the K100D Super that goes for below S$1K locally. The in-body shake reduction is a major feature as it allows stabilization with every and any lens past or present. If you can get someone to buy from the US, the award winning K10D now retails below US$600. :bigeyes: It is an excellent camera that is weather sealed and feature laden. You can get worldwide warranty as well.

If you are really serious on photography, nothing can stop you.
Personally, I will not go for the lastest unless you have that spare cash.
If you have friends who are experience and familiar with DSLR, go with them
to a 2nd hand shop for purchase. If you afraid it will break down, ask the shopkeeper to
give you at least 1 month shop warranty. Usually if it breaks, it will be in the 1st month.
Get to know the shutter counts. The shutter is the mechanical part that will usually fail first.
Check the battery compartment, lens mount and hotshoe for any sign of corrosion. Try out every buttons of the camera.

Start out with a D70 with the 18-70 kit lens. Then slowly upgrade as you save. Polish your
skill first.

The B&S forum is also a good place to hunt for 2nd hand item. Though most people here are very honest, but as anywhere else there are blacksheep. So if you decided to buy from the B&S forum, go with someone who are experience with DSLR and check thoroughly before purchase.

With a $1000 budget, you can get a very decent setup... 2nd hand of course...

1. D70/s @ $550
2. Nikon 18-70mm lens - $250

The remaining $200 can be used to get any other accesories, e.g. flash, tripod, etc... or even a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

I helped a friend get a 2nd hand D70 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 at $1050, and eventhough the person had the camera for about 2 years, the shutter count was only about 3100... very under utilized. I upgraded the firmware of the D70... and it had the options of a D70s, but a slightly smaller LCD screen.

Oh... if you are a Challenger member, they sell tripods at a very reasonable price.

So... if you don't mind going the 2nd hand route... I think it is a great way to start (better than getting a D40/x IMHO).

Happy hunting!

If you can, save up and get a D80. Otherwise, just go for Pentax K100D or Sony A100 which comes with a build in stabiliser.

Hi all

Cheers

If you can find a good condition D70,i believe the shutter count would be high as theis model has been out for pretty long. I suggest you save up to get a 1st hand D80 instead. Then when you get your hands on your first DSLR, the BBB virus will begin! :devil:

I helped a friend get a 2nd hand D70 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 at $1050, and eventhough the person had the camera for about 2 years, the shutter count was only about 3100... very under utilized. I upgraded the firmware of the D70... and it had the options of a D70s, but a slightly smaller LCD screen.

pretty good price :)

an alternative to consider would be a used Canon 20D, though the shutter count is probably higher due to the faster burst rate ;p have easily shot probably more than 50k pics with my 20D and it's still holding up well. so, if u happen to come across one that's lightly used, can consider getting it. specs wise, i would say it's comparable to the Nikon D80 and in some areas like burst mode, better.

Hi all

Cheers

If u really can only afford $1000 and u really want a dslr, my advice is either u go for a 2nd hand D70s and Kit lens, if u can push ur budget abit maybe can get a 2nd hand SB-600 and u are pretty much setup...dun worry if it will fail in 2 or 3 yrs time, cos the virus will hit u in less than 2 or 3 months time...:bsmilie:

or u can go for Pentax...best value for money and unique as u will be the only one using it among ur friends...:devil:

You can choose to go with PENTAX like i did, totally because of value-for-money and quality if u don't mind that PENTAX ain't as major as canon or nikon. K10D costs cheaper than D80, yet has features that par with 40D and D200 range albeit still weaker, but thats a sub $1500 cam(kit) fighting with $2000+ bodies...

Thanks guys for your advice. Will take them into serious consideration :)

Kind of considering other alternatives right now aft all the suggestions. Looking at the Pentax K100D and K10D. But seems like the K100D fits nicely into my budget :)

The key word i guess is WANT.

Since you Want a DSLR badly. And i assume that 1k is what you're willing to spend on.

i believe fellow bros have given u the options already.

Now u need to ask urself what you NEED in that new camera body.

Nikon, Canon are the famous brands. But for 1k. They do not really give u alot of bang for the bucks and they have the most accessories... which at this point of time may not be a good thing for you.

My advise to you is to decide what you NEED for this DSLR and get something which will last u for at least 2 years. Shutter counts are what you need to look for if you are getting a 2nd hand.

The rest of the Needs are list here.

IS : Image stabiliser or anti shake (If you have been using a P&S with this function prob might want to have this.)
Live View : Most entry DSLR don't come with this function. (Unlike P&S you have only the viewfinder on most DSLR, no picture on the lcd screen behind)
Dust removal : Most come with this technology recently. But personally i think this is a must have...
Auto-focus: I know the D40/x does not have AF within its own body. So you may want to take that into consideration.
External Flash : Believe me... you WILL get an ext flash. so do include this into your budget.
Tripod: This is a may or may not. But if you're thinking of long exposure or night shots... or even nice landscape shots. But this can wait... and there are some cheaper alternatives here in CS ads :)
Crop factor: This is a little tricky, its more on sensor size, nikon, canon are 1.5 crop, Pentax is 1.6 if i'm not wrong and olympus is 2x. Meaning if you see the lense having 50mm- 100mm it actually means 75mm-150mm for 1.5 crop and for 2x its 100mm-200mm. There is a multiplication factor to these. so its a choice for either WIDE angle or Telezoom.
Lens: most important NEED. Get a good one so it can do most of the job for you. a range from 14-18 to 50-70, depending on the crop factor is good for most shots.

do some search of the items which you are thinking about in the CS forums you will find alot of "gold mines" here which have been discussed and shared by alot of bros here.

Hope this helps you :)

Crop factor: This is a little tricky, its more on sensor size, nikon, canon are 1.5 crop, Pentax is 1.6 if i'm not wrong and olympus is 2x. Meaning if you see the lense having 50mm- 100mm it actually means 75mm-150mm for 1.5 crop and for 2x its 100mm-200mm. There is a multiplication factor to these. so its a choice for either WIDE angle or Telezoom.

Just to confirm that Nikon, Pentax, Sony are all have 1.5X crop, Canon has 1.6X and Olympus has 2X.

note: the D70 / D70s uses a electronic shutter for 1/500s and below
so how to calculate the shutter life?

anyone can confirm?

i'd say go with a D40 or D40X to start, then take it from there

Status
Not open for further replies.