Is the Imac using a IPS LCD screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SianZronG

Sep 2, 2002
Punggol
www.1stjournal.com
Just wanted to confirm. Wanna get out of the TN world of screens for better colour and accuracy.

Heard from a friend that the 20" IMacs are using the TN Screen but the 24" are running on IPS screens.

Anyone can confirm with me on this? :)

yes, u are right

Yes but please be aware that the LCD is way way too bright for photo editing and if you are unlucky (like me), you'll get bad backlight bleeding or even worse dead pixels. Apple's policy is 5 dead pixels warrant a one-to-one exchange btw. There is no way to bring down the brightness besides having a third party software to layer a black mask. To make things worse, the LCD screen has a bit of yellow colour cast in the middle portion about 1/3 of the screen. It is not noticable immediately but upon colour critical use, I find it very disturbing. Most of them has this 'characteristic' when used with low brightness setting... like WTF Apple. The top part of the screen gets super warm (where the CPU processor is located) after say 2 hours of usage and can go up to 60 deg C if your room is not air conditioned. Other than that, it is a 'nice' machine to play with (and sometimes work with). There are some really quirky flaws that needs to be addressed which Apple won't since most buyers are such fanboys anyway. LOL!.

Nothing is perfect, not even Apple. So there you go. That's all you need to know. Enjoy.

wow that i didn't know. always felt that by paying a premuim i will be getting more than that. -1 point for apple.

I guess this issues arrives in sunny singapore with the heat being quite a issue. And the fact that the CPU is right behind the screen. Looks like if it's a MAC it can only be a Mac Pro.

How about the Dell ultra sharp series? I heard they are IPS screens.
I just saw on dell "Dell UltraSharp™ 2408WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor" $1000. damm.

wow that i didn't know. always felt that by paying a premuim i will be getting more than that. -1 point for apple.

I guess this issues arrives in sunny singapore with the heat being quite a issue. And the fact that the CPU is right behind the screen. Looks like if it's a MAC it can only be a Mac Pro.

How about the Dell ultra sharp series? I heard they are IPS screens.
I just saw on dell "Dell UltraSharp™ 2408WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor" $1000. damm.
I recently bought the 2408. Its a S-PVA panel. Damn shiok! Three thumbs up!

Last edited:
have you consider samsung 245T? it's PVA panel. =)

it set me back by 1035 bucks =) and I bought mine today ...

Just wanted to confirm. Wanna get out of the TN world of screens for better colour and accuracy.

Heard from a friend that the 20" IMacs are using the TN Screen but the 24" are running on IPS screens.

Anyone can confirm with me on this? :)
Hmm. I'm just thinking - is it worth it to calibrate TN panels, with all the problems hazmee mentioned? or would it not really help?

Hmm. I'm just thinking - is it worth it to calibrate TN panels, with all the problems hazmee mentioned? or would it not really help?
It is better to have a calibrated screen than not having one when you are doing photo editing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.