1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

Or see here

What do you intends to use the ibook for ??

Photo editing the 256MB RAM will not be enough ... :)

Not only that. The LCD is definitely not good enough for editing too :) But as a carry around, mobility, usability, functionality I think it's good enough :)

The downside is the 12" doesn't have superdrive, only the 14" model. Apart from that it's pretty ok. :)

Do note that upon arrival it's only 17GB free space (estimated), so 30GB might be a bit daunting if you use it for editing etc. So if you intend for a larger HDD and bluetooth, do build-to-order instead. :)

What's a superdrive?

Hmm...I'm no pro like you guys so I prob won't have that much editing to do...

I just need it for everyday leisure/ personal use...:embrass:

Then go for the iBook G4. :)

Superdrive = DVDRW + CDRW, Combodrive = DVD ROM + CDRW.

Do upgrade your RAM with another 512MB. Also get a keyboard protector too!!! :)

espn said:
Not only that. The LCD is definitely not good enough for editing too :) But as a carry around, mobility, usability, functionality I think it's good enough :)

The downside is the 12" doesn't have superdrive, only the 14" model. Apart from that it's pretty ok. :)

Do note that upon arrival it's only 17GB free space (estimated), so 30GB might be a bit daunting if you use it for editing etc. So if you intend for a larger HDD and bluetooth, do build-to-order instead. :)

Hi espn,

can you kindly elaborate on the "LCD is definitely not good enough for editing". Really so bad ah?

It's not bad, but the contrast, colour depth everything isn't what I'd call 'true color'. It uses dithering to achieve it's millions of colours. :) So that's why I said, if you're intending to do serious photo editing off the iBook, get the PB instead. The PB has '16.7 million colours' stated on the website, as compared to the iBook, just 'millions of colour'.

In short, I'd still get the iBook for travelling, moving around, mobile yet versatile since it's a lot of features built in. USB 2.0 x 2, IEEE 1394, Ethernet, Modem, BT(optional), Wireless (built-in) and best, approx 5 hr battery life depending on usage. Screen at near full brightness can last about 4 hours off the battery.

BTW, if u're a rugged person, the iBook is good on the go. Made out of polycarbonate plastic, I believe its tuff enuff to stop bullets. :)

The powerbook is definitely not made to withstand knocks.

Well the ibook is small enough to view/casual editing + nice presentation.......
i just got my...

espn said:
It's not bad, but the contrast, colour depth everything isn't what I'd call 'true color'. It uses dithering to achieve it's millions of colours. :) So that's why I said, if you're intending to do serious photo editing off the iBook, get the PB instead. The PB has '16.7 million colours' stated on the website, as compared to the iBook, just 'millions of colour'.

In short, I'd still get the iBook for travelling, moving around, mobile yet versatile since it's a lot of features built in. USB 2.0 x 2, IEEE 1394, Ethernet, Modem, BT(optional), Wireless (built-in) and best, approx 5 hr battery life depending on usage. Screen at near full brightness can last about 4 hours off the battery.

I see..... I don't think will be doing serious editing off the ibook... more for casual use and displaying slideshows maybe....

Thanks for the info........ :)

what is a keyboard protector?

It's a piece of plastic that covers the keyboard of the iB, PB, Mac has them, it helps to keep dust out and finger prints/oil marks etc.

TRiShnDaisy said:
Specs as follow:
1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1.2GHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

Or see here
What G4 has that a similar (but assuming cheaper) PC notebook does not have, to justify the difference in cost? Is it the "cool" factor that you are paying for?

In any case u are wondering....

No shared memory. Dedicated RAM, Dedicated Video RAM.
Built-in wireless. Try finding a cheaper Wintel Notebook that carries it.
Combo Drive. U'll be lucky if u can get it with a cheaper Wintel notebook.
Processor power. Nuff said.
Cool factor? U want can put it in oso.
Weight factor.

Go and find a PC notebook cheaper den $1,800 and tell us abt it.

Actually, it's not that light at 2.2+KG, but the form factor is flush and I can easily carry it around in a haversack.

The main difference is not the form factor, rather the OS ;p

They (iBook, PB) don't require shutdown too. Just close the lid and in seconds the sleep light is activated and you're ready to go. Need to use it? Just open the lid and start using. I never shutdown my iBook ;p Battery drain whilst in sleep mode is very negligible. 3% per night.

Command line interface is also much better than what Dos (aka command prompt) can provide. Mac OS X Tiger's Dashboard provides a totally way cool means to do a lot more than what windows has to offer (language translation, flight tracker, weather [yes, I use it to track SG's current weather], stickies etc). They call them Widgets ;p

Installation is also a breeze, just drag the application into the Application folder and it's installed, to delete just drag the application to the Trash Bin. No messy registries and whatever.

And much more, better stop before somebody accusses me of being a Mac advocate. :bsmilie:

espn said:
Actually, it's not that light at 2.2+KG, but the form factor is flush and I can easily carry it around in a haversack.

The main difference is not the form factor, rather the OS ;p

They (iBook, PB) don't require shutdown too. Just close the lid and in seconds the sleep light is activated and you're ready to go. Need to use it? Just open the lid and start using. I never shutdown my iBook ;p Battery drain whilst in sleep mode is very negligible. 3% per night.

Command line interface is also much better than what Dos (aka command prompt) can provide. Mac OS X Tiger's Dashboard provides a totally way cool means to do a lot more than what windows has to offer (language translation, flight tracker, weather [yes, I use it to track SG's current weather], stickies etc). They call them Widgets ;p

Installation is also a breeze, just drag the application into the Application folder and it's installed, to delete just drag the application to the Trash Bin. No messy registries and whatever.

And much more, better stop before somebody accusses me of being a Mac advocate. :bsmilie:

yup yup .. since when you become MAD ... :bsmilie:

eric69 said:
What G4 has that a similar (but assuming cheaper) PC notebook does not have, to justify the difference in cost? Is it the "cool" factor that you are paying for?

?? I don't think one can get a PC notebook for 1.8k....is there one?

And yes, espn, I saw a presentation on the new OS, Tiger, and was really impressed with the new features e.g. widgets etc. Months ago, I was vomitting blood all over my Mac in the office. Now I'm totally won over. I think Mac is so much more refined. The people behind it have certainly put a lot of thought into it's design...

KNIGHT ONG said:
yup yup .. since when you become MAD ... :bsmilie:
Since I touched your 21" PB? ;p

TRiShnDaisy said:
?? I don't think one can get a PC notebook for 1.8k....is there one?

And yes, espn, I saw a presentation on the new OS, Tiger, and was really impressed with the new features e.g. widgets etc. Months ago, I was vomitting blood all over my Mac in the office. Now I'm totally won over. I think Mac is so much more refined. The people behind it have certainly put a lot of thought into it's design...
There probably are, but the form factor is really small and probably not able to get everything-in-one.

Oh yeah, you don't need to worry about virus as compared to Windoze ;p

Tiger is way cool IYAM. Comparing with 10+ years ago when I first touched a Mac, the newer versions are much easier to use and configure too. iLife 05 comes with purchase of iBook too. The power adaptor is something I believe you'll grow to love too. The design of Apple is cool, but you pay for it.

You'll be needing the keypad protector too, that's going to cost another $20+ the accessories are the killing factors IYAM.

Umm...is the keypad/ board protector a piece of plastic that goes over when not in use?

Is it also absolutely neccessary to up the RAM to 512mb?

Oh, and is it possible to upgrade the iBook? Does it have any trade-in value? What happens if it breaks down? Is it more expensive to have it repaired than a pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.