Is the Gorillapod good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpo

Apr 1, 2009
Hi,

I will want to get the Gorillapod tripod.

But I am not sure whether it is good or just pure gimick.

Any comments.

>>> Photo of gorillapod

Thanks.

Good for the proposed intent , work within the weight limits.

The issue is if you are doing fine adjustments on the camera position, cause the legs can be abit stiff on making adjustments, and thats where having a small ballhead helps.

Ryan

there are quite a few version of it. the SLR zoom is the better ones IMO.

within its limits its pretty good, beats lugging out a tripod out but then you'll need to find a suitable place to mount it on..

Hello there, Cp has a gorillapod, gold in color, capable of carrying DSLR 5DM11 but it costs
$228/-. Nice to look at. If your height with camera matches the height of the pod, it may suit your purpose.

i saw the functions of Gorillapod first hand, a friend of mine has it, and i must say, i was quite impressed with it. I was actually thinking of purchasing one in the near future. So if you do decide, maybe we can go together? HAHA. ;p

if you know how/when to use...fine as the price can get quite an okay tripod setup.

Hello there, Cp has a gorillapod, gold in color, capable of carrying DSLR 5DM11 but it costs
$228/-. Nice to look at. If your height with camera matches the height of the pod, it may suit your purpose.

I believe it's called the Gorillapod Focus. Tempting, if not for the huge jump in price over the next lowest model. But I might just get it anyway for my next travel vacation. :sweat:

I got the SLR version with the LX3 I bought second hand.

It is very sturdy for the LX3, but I would not put my D200 with batter grip and 18-200mm on it.

I like the flexibility it provides in positioning the camera almost any where. Would have been a great accesory to carry along while travelling. Furthermore it is very light and small (10 inches long for the SLR version)

My major concern is the durability of the joints. The ball and socket design relies on friction to hold the position, and after repeated usage the material will wear and result in a loose joint. Not sure how Joby tested the reliability and life of the joints.

I got the one that can take the heaviest load.
Like it very much....very ideal for travelling.
Get a ball head too. Make adjustments easier....:thumbsup:

Just gotten a new SLRzoom cheap from a forummer.
My setup is pushing the weight limit at 2.2kg, probably due to my ballhead from another tripod being already 400+g.

My review is for normal tabletop standing position,which is probably not what is meant for, but great nevertheless for occasionally travel group snaps.
It boils down to how u position the legs cause at certain positions,eg the normally seen curved down 'C', it may not hold...

The main weakness is the joints nearest the plate.
The solution I found is
1. Keep the legs straight, like normal tripod legs, and it'll hold a lot more weight.But the leg must not open more than 40degree from vertical. Indoor no wind is fine.

2. Which I recommend. I bend the legs to wide V or L position,1/2 way around the legs.
Main idea is to again keep the top 1/2 of the legs straight and rather close together. In this position, its very strong even with my arms pushing down on it.

I'll take a photo tonite.:)

HIH:)

Last edited:
There are so many types. Which is the best? I was pretty sad that i couldn't take photo of me and my wife during travel. Any recommendation?

There are so many types. Which is the best? I was pretty sad that i couldn't take photo of me and my wife during travel. Any recommendation?

Hello dannytomato.
Like yourself, I find it very useful to dig up old threads because they often contain very good information.
Perhaps you would find this thread useful too. Here it is:
Gorillapod
CLick on it and scroll down to posting #11 and start reading from there. It contains all that is embodied in your question and perhaps even a little bit more.
Hope this would help.

Hi,

I will want to get the Gorillapod tripod.

But I am not sure whether it is good or just pure gimick.

Any comments.

>>> Photo of gorillapod

Thanks.

Bought one for my GF for the PnS... and it's a good tool when used within the weight limits and correctly.

Here's a fun shot showing how it could be used... :bsmilie:

MIC_0311-edit.jpg

Bought one for my GF for the PnS... and it's a good tool when used within the weight limits and correctly.

Here's a fun shot showing how it could be used... :bsmilie:

MIC_0311-edit.jpg

Nice one, :thumbsup:

Dog's eye view...Lol.

I've been using the Original Gorillapod with my compact camera for a year already, and I'm loving it :)

It's extremely versatile and very useful in real-life situations. All my friends are somehow amazed whenever I take it out (for group shots).

Here's my evaluation:

Pros
1) Small and lightweight, easy to carry around.
This is especially important because I use it with a compact camera and the whole point of using a compact camera is so you carry less. This compliments that.

2) Extremely versatile.
Table, chair, window grille, branch, sand, railing, bicycle- It's been there. You can place it almost anywhere. A normal table tripod is not as useful and the gorillapod outperforms conventional tripods in certain situations. I've seen a tourist place his compact on a tripod- think about it, a gorillapod weighs less and takes up less space(point 1).

Cons
3) Inherent mounting limitations.
In practical usage there are no real drawbacks. However, do note that there are inherent limitations. You can place a gorillapod anywhere, but- what if there isn't a suitabe position? So, you are limited by the availibility of mounting points. Case and point, say you are shooting on a huge grass patch, and there are no poles or railings, you would have to concede to placing it on the ground. Also, some railings may be too wide to work with the gorillapod. But this is really not a big deal, accept that it is a fair compromise.

4) Risk.
It may fail.
So mount it carefully. Not such a big deal with smaller cameras.

Here's my reccommendation. If you have a compact camera, get one. If you have a DSLR, I would say it depends. (I have not used a gorillapod with a DSLR, neither do I own a DSLR, but here are my views.)

Take note that with a big camera, point 4(risk of it falling) becomes a greater issue. But, they are rated by load capacity, so take note of that.

A Gorillapod(for compact camera) is good because it's small, but a Gorillapod for a big camera isn't exactly compact, so weight and space are less relavant issues. And if extra weight isn't a concern, get a proper tripod. With that, you overcome point 3(Inherent mounting limitations) and get the benefits of a tripod.

Bottom line is- the Gorillapod is meant to provide camera support while keeping weight and space minimised. When we talk about larger cameras, this becomes less significant, since a large Gorillapod is almost a big as a tripod.

As a general guide, if you have a smaller DSLR and/or you don't need camera support as often, a Gorillapod would be a useful addition. But, If you have a larger camera and need to rely on camera support often, get a tripod. And, if you rely on camera support, point 3(inherent mounting limitations) may get in your way.

That being said, the may be times where a gorillapod is more suitable- say, you want to mount it on a bicycle- No way can you use a tripod.

At the end of the day, you have to consider the camera, size and weight, situation, and other pros and cons mentioned- you've got to assess your needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.