Is the Canon G11 a good buy??

cutyhammy

May 3, 2010
Hi All,

I'm kinna interesting in getting the Canon G11, but I'm just wondering if it's THE camera for me.

Recently, I took some pictures with my friends Canon G10 and it was awesome. the pictures came out great. I love the feature where it can suck the colour from one item and put into another ;).
But one thing it lacked was the ISO settings.

I read the specs of Canon G11 and it has up to ISO 3200, which is one of the thing that drew me to it.

To me the Canon G11 is not a fully SLR camera, am I right to say that?
Do you know if it is as complex as an SLR camera?
Becuz I'm just a newbie at photography...
I would like some features of an SLR, but not fully SLR that i might just give up photography totally :)

Hope you guys can give me a review on the Canon G11
or any of those Semi SLR and Digi Camera available in the market.

P.S Currently I'm into Lomo :D but i'm thinking of venturing to other types of camera

I'll just answer the easy part, nope G11 is not a DSLR.

As for in-depth review of G11.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/

Many more alternative models in that site for you to compare side by side.

Hi All,

I'm kinna interesting in getting the Canon G11, but I'm just wondering if it's THE camera for me.

Recently, I took some pictures with my friends Canon G10 and it was awesome. the pictures came out great. I love the feature where it can suck the colour from one item and put into another ;).

I read the specs of Canon G11 and it has up to ISO 3200, which is one of the thing that drew me to it.

I would like some features of an SLR, but not fully SLR that i might just give up photography totally :)

P.S Currently I'm into Lomo :D but i'm thinking of venturing to other types of camera

You need to understand what is the real meaning behind the term "SLR". SLR= Single Lens Reflex. THis means the camera uses only one lens for both taking and viewing and accomplishes this using a mirror inside the camera. When a picture is taken, the mirror will flip up, and a shutter open. In the modern age, DSLR, works just the same, just that a digital sensor sits behind the shutter instead of raw film. The other strength of a (D)SLR system is that the lens are interchangeable for different scenarios/uses.

So knowing this now, G11 is nothing close to a (D)SLR. Why?

• G11 cannot change lenses.
  • G11 does not have a mirror.
  • G11 does not have a mechanical shutter.
  • G11 has an optical viewfinder, but it is not viewing through the actual lens of the camera. This means you cannot see the effect of the lens on the picture in the viewfinder. You can use the LCD to view that, but you will will be using up battery power a lot faster.
  • G11 gives you some manual controls like Manual, Aperture priority, Shutter priority and Program modes. But you may not get the range of apertures and shutter speeds compared to (D)SLR.
  • Sensor in G11 is a lot smaller than (D)SLRs. Making G11 inferior (generally) in High ISO performance, image quality, and subject isolation ability with background blur.
  • G11 gives you a lot less direct controls to some settings.
Overall, G11 is a good camera. You do get a smaller size and weight, and easier operation with good image quality. But it is quite far apart in performance compared to even an entry level DSLR at the same price.

Last edited:
The Canon G Series used to hold the status of Point and Shoot for the professional photographers when they are not carrying their two ton equipments.

However, the game has changed since the arrival of micro 3/4 and APS-C sensor size in a point and shoot camera (ala Oly EP and Sony NEX). For a little bit more money you could get a micro 3/4 interchangeable lens camera which will perform more like a dSLR compared to the G10/11. Still G10/G11 might be worthwhile if you can get a good price.

Last edited:
I can see why the seniors run out of patience eventually....

Here's a thread asking very similar question (on page 2 no less): http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723105

Hope you get a camera you're happy with hammy. (Your nick reminds me of my ex-hamster) :)

Thanks for the link to the other forum :)

I think i'll choose the prosumer type of camera becuz i'm just starting with photography ^-^
I'll be testing it out soon.... my friend has one ^-^

Thanks for the link to the other forum :)

I think i'll choose the prosumer type of camera becuz i'm just starting with photography ^-^
I'll be testing it out soon.... my friend has one ^-^

Hmm, just because you just started on photography doesn't means u have to start with a prosumer.
With the price of G11, you can get a brand new entry level DSLR at a price cheaper or similar.

Since you are starting, consider a second hand dslr first. Once you get the basics right, then you can opt to purchase your desired camera.

Because right now, you might not know what kind of photos you take, night photography? For that, sometimes you require a higher ISO and some bodies cannot handle higher ISO w/o noise.

Sports photography? You need non-existent shutter lag, IS/VR and fast operation.

Etc, etc.

Once you know what photos you take and what body is for you, then you sell off your 2nd hand and decide whats best for you.

You can always sell off your gear and fund for your next hobby.

i dun think it will be a wise choice to invest on G11..althought it is not lousy...

because the price is already close to DSLR such as 500D or jus get 550D..;)

However, the game has changed since the arrival of micro 3/4 and APS-C sensor size in a point and shoot camera (ala Oly EP and Sony NEX). For a little bit more money you could get a micro 3/4 interchangeable lens camera which will perform more like a dSLR compared to the G10/11. Still G10/G11 might be worthwhile if you can get a good price.
It's the 4/3 format (Four Thirds, according the image aspect ratio). 3/4 sounds like a DSLR with something chopped off :bsmilie:

i dun think it will be a wise choice to invest on G11..althought it is not lousy...

because the price is already close to DSLR such as 500D or jus get 550D..;)

pardon me.. but I dun agree that the price of G11 is close to DSLR...

I got my G11 at slightly over $700.. now the price has drop to $600+..

DSLR like 500D / 550D is over $1k..

it's at least a $400 difference... not to mention the other accessories needed..

jus my 2 cents worth...

however, I do agree that T.S. should get a DSLR if really interested in photography (looking at long term) & dun have a budget constraint..

else.. get a 2nd hand G11 then...

it's at least a $400 difference... not to mention the other accessories needed..

jus my 2 cents worth...

Sony A230 is selling for $600 street price only and while A230 IQ is not as good as some of the more advanced DSLR, its IQ is way better than G11.

Pentax K-x is slightly more expensive at 700+ but it has pic IQ comparable to A500, D90, 550D.

Small sensors are still great for the immense DOF needed for Macro and will continue to benefit flower shooters.

Hi All,

I uses both DSLR and G11.

since you are into Lomo, IMHO is go ahead and try a DSLR. Most DSLR have a Program mode to help you out in yr shooting.

Go and tryout Sony A850 at their showroom as well as go Canon's one at vivocity to try out the G11 and the range of PnS to DSLR over there.

Enjoy the fun of using the camera that suits you and shoot whatever you want.:)

Hi All,

I had a G10 once so can comment some. My wife has a Canon S90. Two of my friends has the other great camera Panasonic LX3 and also the Samsung EX1 (least familiar). I'm using the GF1 now and thinking of moving to Pentax K-x or maybe Canon 550D. I had a film Ricoh SLX in 1980. I have no brand loyalty so can comment freely and honestly.

Anyway, Panasonic LX3 has the nicest picture clarity indoors as it has a fast F2.0 lens (EX1 too). But colorwise S90 tops it easily. But S90 controls are a little messy and too sensitive - drives me nuts.

Do you like to change lens? If you do, Pentax K-x is the answer in that price range. Also the EPL1 and GF1.

If you shun DSLR, then your options are G11, LX3, S90, EX1. Of course there are others... But these are the highly rated ones that I'm familiar.

THe LX3, S90 and EX1 gives you sharper PIX indoors. But G11 with better zoom options make you wanna take more pictures that are of different focal length - gives you variety in your shots.

Colorwise again S90, G11 tops. I Struggle alot with Panasonic colours - always increase saturation and decreasing - tiring.
LX3 and G11 are very easy to use. Maybe LX3 iso control is better - does not jump to ISO800 so often like G11/ S90).

More sharp pictures indoors/ low light - LX3, S90, EX1
Zoom and variety (and great battery life) - G11

I shoot with GF1 now and miss the zoom creativity of my Canon G10. That's why looking at PEntax k-x with the 55-300mm zoom. But I dislike carrying lenses.. it's tough decision even for me....

Last edited:
Hi, i'm new to clubsnap (and a newbie to photography too). I just got G11 (as a gift) and am enjoying using it. I was previously using 'very basic' Canon Ixus 80 (which still works well).

G11 does have some useful features which i like : swivel lcd screen for tight shooting angles (and for self protraits), dedicated controls to adjust EV & ISO speed, better zoom range & battery life compared to S90, LX3. I'm still learning as this is my 1st "pro" camera with all the manual functions.

But if my G11 wasn't a gift & if i could afford to top up abit more ($100 - $200), i would buy olympus E-PL1 (abt $890~) for its better image quality. ;p

Having said that, I'm happy with what i have & hope to make the most of it. (then again, i can't choose my gift, so i have to be contented... ;p)
Whichever your decision is, i feel we shld appreciate what our camera can do & maximise its potential.

Btw, i hope learn more from everyone and look forward to valuable guidance. Thks. :)

jus my 2 cents worth...

which shop selling G11 at $600+ ??? care to share???
MS color quote me $720 ... i'm planning to get next mon for my wife birthday ...
Any lobang that sell G11 less then $700 would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

which shop selling G11 at $600+ ??? care to share???
MS color quote me $720 ... i'm planning to get next mon for my wife birthday ...
Any lobang that sell G11 less then $700 would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

I'm referring to the Privilege Program. 20.5% off RRP.

See:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717208
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509763