Is the Black Rapid Strap safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monochrome1

Sep 29, 2007
Hi. Has anyone here had a bad experience with the Black Rapid camera strap? I have one but never actually used it. I don't quite feel that my DSLR is safe when connected to it. :dunno:

It's pretty safe. Used it on my 40D + EF 24-105 (with hood) + BG-E2N + 580EX (with DFD Pro) and no issues whatsoever. To feel even safer, probably best to check if it still hangs in tight every once in a while (nope, it didn't loosen in my case).

BTW, you can refer to a similar thread here.

:Later,

Definitely safe. Holds a 5DmkII with 24-70 or even the 70-200 2.8 IS very securely. Those are my 2 most used lenses and both are very heavy.

safe safe.. i hang a 1D MKIII with 70-200 IS n flash. and run with it. safe.

Hi monochrome1,

I've tried it on my D90 with 18-105 & 55-200. On occasions, I may have my SB600 attached. So far so good. Our DSLR is dear to us so it's normal for you to be paranoid. I was paranoid too initially but I guess we need to take the first step.

Frankly, my fear is not about the connection becoming loose, it's more about passerby rushing & knocking onto my DLSR... :p

Thanks a lot for the input guys! I'll start using my strap now. :thumbsup:

those of u using it with BG, any problems with gripping?

Consider this modification for use with your vertical grip. :)

I'm using mountain climbing rope to replace the FastenR, and it ties onto the strap point below the vertical grip.

I have no problem using my DIY 'Black Rapid System'... my 2 most heavy setup is 40D + Battery Grip + EF-S17-55mm f2.8 IS + 580EX MkII or 40D + Battery Grip + EF 70-200mm f4 IS.... of course, the FastenR is fasten on the 70-200mm tripod collar to better balance the camera. :sweat:

what if i'm using 2 cameras at hte same time? will the R-strap work? cos the straps will be crossed across the chest..maybe i'll go DIY one. heh

Tried that also when I'm on solo photo assignment - 400D with 70-200mm & 40D with 17-55mm + 580EX MkII.... both camera with battery Grip. Since my strip is DIY.... it is slim and without any pocket (like the 1st GEN Black Rapid). It doesn't take up too much space on my chest.

Looks abit silly.... but it will work. I put on the 400D 1st (keeping the camera on the LEFT side) and the 40D 2nd (keeping the camera on the RIGHT side) Just remember to lengthen the strip of the camera on the LEFT, as it will be 'held down' by the 2nd strip, the extra length would enable the LEFT camera to be move to eye level without pulling too much on the 2nd strip. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
There're the new Couple-Rs that'll be out in a while. For use with 2 Rstraps at 1 time. Yea it does look very Rambo-ish. Just saw the Couple-R at the BlackRapid site.

http://www.blackrapid.com/

For 2 cameras, you need to be alert when squatting down. Not recommended for those using R strap rarely or beginner. For those using them day in day out, not an issue with 2 straps. Usually my left side is shorter as I am a right hander.

There're the new Couple-Rs that'll be out in a while. For use with 2 Rstraps at 1 time. Yea it does look very Rambo-ish. Just saw the Couple-R at the BlackRapid site.

this one seems tedious in putting on and off. I dont like the design...very "luan"-"messy"

Very Interesting.... :think:

But no pics on what the 'Front' looks like.... like VEST or what ?? :sweat: Will check on the website again a few weeks from now.... maybe can DIY my own again !! :bsmilie:

I attach it to a tripod plate D ring. In my experience, it is more secure, safer, ergonomic, and faster to shoot, than the normal camera straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.