Is the $99 auto-electric dry cabinet a good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drafting88

Feb 17, 2002
Woodlands
Visit site
As advertised by Carrefour (ST, 16/02/02).
Model: DIGI-CABI ED-030 30L

The original price was $168.

Am wondering whether anyone here is using the same thing. BTW, what to look out for when buying electric dry cabinets?

Thanks for any feedback.

Originally posted by drafting88
As advertised by Carrefour (ST, 16/02/02).
Model: DIGI-CABI ED-030 30L

The original price was $168.

Am wondering whether anyone here is using the same thing. BTW, what to look out for when buying electric dry cabinets?

Thanks for any feedback.

I am using the Nikon-branded version of this (got it free with my F100). Works pretty well, and looks and feels reasonably well built.

Regards
CK

ckiang,

roughly, how much electricity bill will the use of the dry cabinet incur?

Thanks.

Originally posted by drafting88
ckiang,

roughly, how much electricity bill will the use of the dry cabinet incur?

Thanks.

Should be quite insignificant. Don't really know, coz my parents are paying. :p

I run 2 dry cabinets, a 50L Tropic Dry and the 30L Nikon. My parents have not complaint of high bills yet. :p

Regards
CK

it comes with 5 years warranty, remember to get the warranty card from the counter.
have been using it for 3mths liao, pretty good
do take note it does not have a thermometer.
was in carrefour 2 weeks ago and saw a similar AM-PRO 30L model selling for $80++ only.
actually all these dry cabinet are distributed by the same company Celestar

Hi ckiang,

Just to check with you, are the hygrometers in your dry cabinet accurate? I have 2 Akarui 56L dry cabinets which I bought from CP during a sale, and both hygrometers are out by as much as 15-20%. Looks like they were never calibrated properly in the factory, and I have to calibrate them myself using my digital hygrometer.

Really?! :eek:
I also bought the Akarui 56L from CP some time ago
anyone else have this problem?
I don't have any hydrometer to check, and even then, dunno
how to calibrate that thing... :(

..NuTs..

Originally posted by ziploc
Hi ckiang,

Just to check with you, are the hygrometers in your dry cabinet accurate? I have 2 Akarui 56L dry cabinets which I bought from CP during a sale, and both hygrometers are out by as much as 15-20%. Looks like they were never calibrated properly in the factory, and I have to calibrate them myself using my digital hygrometer.

Hi nuts,

I think the problem is that most people do not have a seperate hygrometer and hence there is no way for them to find out whether the one on the dry cabinet is accurate.

To calebrate them is easy as long as you have a handheld hygrometer. I bought mine from HomeFix for $39 (? i think, can't remember). At the back of the cabinet hygrometer there is a hole to allow you to stick a screw driver in, and there is a screw slot inside. Just use a flat blade screw driver to turn the slot until the indicator matches the reading on the handheld meter. Be careful not to touch the smaller screw inside the slot or you might affect the spring and hence the sensitivity of the meter. You need to calibrate at least once for high %RH, and at least once for low %RH.

Have fun calibrating. ;)

Hi ckiang,

Both my cabinets are about -3 to -5% off. Good enough for me. :) Either I am lucky, or that digital hygrometer is off as well... :p

Regards
CK

Hi nuts,

I think the problem is that most people do not have a seperate hygrometer and hence there is no way for them to find out whether the one on the dry cabinet is accurate.

To calebrate them is easy as long as you have a handheld hygrometer. I bought mine from HomeFix for $39 (? i think, can't remember). At the back of the cabinet hygrometer there is a hole to allow you to stick a screw driver in, and there is a screw slot inside. Just use a flat blade screw driver to turn the slot until the indicator matches the reading on the handheld meter. Be careful not to touch the smaller screw inside the slot or you might affect the spring and hence the sensitivity of the meter. You need to calibrate at least once for high %RH, and at least once for low %RH.

Have fun calibrating. ;)

good info , Ziploc ... I guess some screenshots will be better explaination .. :)

Originally posted by megaweb

good info , Ziploc ... I guess some screenshots will be better explaination .. :)

Argh!!! Asking for illustration again. I beri lazi one you know. :)

Hi nuts,

yup no hygrometer.... :(
but thanks for the useful info!!

..NuTs..

Status
Not open for further replies.