is the 18-200mm lens sufficient for a noob ?

The 18-200 is a little more than sufficient. Get it if you want it.

Any good camera (including pns) is sufficient for you now. What you need is lots of practice and reading and aim to reach the stage whereby it's no longer sufficient for you.

It is a very general type of lens that allows you to explore what kind of photography you prefer without the need to keep buying/changing lenses.

please advice as i would like to do general photo taking including fireworks

When I first got my 1st DSLR. I thought 1 lens and it is enough.

I was wrong. But during the learning curve, I used D300 and 18-200 VR1 a lot. I can only use them because it's the only body and lens I have.

What I like about it is, I do not need to change lens and it's quite portable, although not as portable as a PnS.

What I don't like about it is:
- Images only sharp at f/8, at bigger aperture, it is not so sharp (worse than the images I seen on some PnS)
- That means it's quite hopeless in low-light situation because my body doesn't have very good ISO performance
- That means at events, I have to somehow work around the limitations and has a great chances of missing out at some moments or motion blur on my images
- That means for portraiture, I might not have the wonderful bokeh that I like
- That means for streets, I might get motion blur because I have to shoot at f/5.6 to f/8, unless the sunlight is very bright.

However, for landscape (take note of distortion at wide angle), architecture (distortion because no tilt-shift) and fireworks, they are fine because for landscape, architecture and fireworks, you generally shoot at small aperture and on tripod.

So eventually, I got 2 more bodies and up to 10 more lens... I still have my 18-200, because I can't sell it off at an acceptable (not talking about good) price.

Therefore, my advise is 18-200 is sufficient if you are new and still learning as it will take some time for you to out-grow it (it took me 6 months or so). You will know if it's not enough when you are ready to do more and wanted to do more. But just to start from somewhere, this is a good place to start.

thanks for this

When I first got my 1st DSLR. I thought 1 lens and it is enough.

I was wrong. But during the learning curve, I used D300 and 18-200 VR1 a lot. I can only use them because it's the only body and lens I have.

What I like about it is, I do not need to change lens and it's quite portable, although not as portable as a PnS.

What I don't like about it is:
- Images only sharp at f/8, at bigger aperture, it is not so sharp (worse than the images I seen on some PnS)
- That means it's quite hopeless in low-light situation because my body doesn't have very good ISO performance
- That means at events, I have to somehow work around the limitations and has a great chances of missing out at some moments or motion blur on my images
- That means for portraiture, I might not have the wonderful bokeh that I like
- That means for streets, I might get motion blur because I have to shoot at f/5.6 to f/8, unless the sunlight is very bright.

However, for landscape (take note of distortion at wide angle), architecture (distortion because no tilt-shift) and fireworks, they are fine because for landscape, architecture and fireworks, you generally shoot at small aperture and on tripod.

So eventually, I got 2 more bodies and up to 10 more lens... I still have my 18-200, because I can't sell it off at an acceptable (not talking about good) price.

Therefore, my advise is 18-200 is sufficient if you are new and still learning as it will take some time for you to out-grow it (it took me 6 months or so). You will know if it's not enough when you are ready to do more and wanted to do more. But just to start from somewhere, this is a good place to start.

Everyone has different needs and wants.

Some noobie think it is enough, some not. Some experienced photographers think it is enough, some not.

This lens has definitely helped me learnt alot in the beginning and still learning with this lens now, good general purpose lens. :cool:

Actually, I've used this lens on a few occasion.
To me, it's a versatile lens to have. Landscape, portrait to close-ups all are possible.

In fact, most people use this lens when they travel. ;)