Is that true DA*50-135's sdm motor is very broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasha

Aug 26, 2009
Heard from friend that they say the sdm motor of DA*50-135 is very easy broken? Is that true? How many of Pantexians have this lens and how many got broken?:):)

Heard from friend that they say the sdm motor of DA*50-135 is very easy broken? Is that true? How many of Pantexians have this lens and how many got broken?:):)

Used mine since July with no problems, the previous user used it for 1 year+ with no problems either. I think it's just a vocal few that tend to make a lot of noise, while the majority of happy users aren't on forums or don't voice out.

I'm selling mine, are you thinking of buying? :devil::devil:

Heard from friend that they say the sdm motor of DA*50-135 is very easy broken? )

aiyo.. very easily broken different from very broken.. your thread title made me come in.. if not i won't since i don't have 50-135 da*...

Used mine since July with no problems, the previous user used it for 1 year+ with no problems either. I think it's just a vocal few that tend to make a lot of noise, while the majority of happy users aren't on forums or don't voice out.

I'm selling mine, are you thinking of buying? :devil::devil:

Pentax LBA poison being let loose here . . . :devil: :devil: :devil:

Mine has no problem since the day I bought it. Touch wood.:)

not just SDM, other brand AFS, USM, all will have potential problems after some time, just a matter of time, its electronic motor, bound to have failure like any electronics equipment...some use for 5 yrs without problem, some use 5 days already problem... so depends on luck...

i for 1 try to avoid lens with built in motor, firstly they dun focus any faster, 2nd as mention, electronic parts vs pure mechanical, which 1 last longer ?

We had a thread about this earlier this year, you can read about it here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482188. Based the little bit of info on this thread, that would be 2 50-135s and 1 16-50 SDM motors having been replaced.

If Kevin (our very friendly and helpful Pentax service man, now with Emjay) is right, it was mainly the early batch of 50-135 that had SDM problems. After changing the motor, my 50-135 is still performing wonderfully now.

So I think maybe you can say that only the early batch DA*50-135's SDM is "very broken", but in general SDM motors are just about as hardy or fragile as any other built-in AF motor out there, "not really easily broken". But modern electronics are modern electronics lah.... :dunno:

Try your hands on those lenses without SDM like me if you are afraid of SDM being very "cui".

Status
Not open for further replies.