Is Super Hippo DSLR Friendly?

chuicy

Oct 12, 2009
Singapore
I happen to chance upon this old post, right now I am using Getdry Dehumidifier (something like super hippo) and I am wondering if it is okay to use it to keep my camera storage dry. I have a Lock lock box with the Getdry Dehumidifier in it together with all my photography stuff.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178862

Is it safe? or too dry? I need help and I did not really get my answer looking at the above thread :/

And if it is, what are some signs of it damanging my equipment?

Thanks!

I happen to chance upon this old post, right now I am using Getdry Dehumidifier (something like super hippo) and I am wondering if it is okay to use it to keep my camera storage dry. I have a Lock lock box with the Getdry Dehumidifier in it together with all my photography stuff.

Is it safe? or too dry? I need help and I did not really get my answer looking at the above thread :/

Thanks!

You should get a hygrometer and place it in your box to measure the humidity, as long as its around 40-55% RH then should be no problem

thirsty hippo is too dry.. the relative humidity drops to about 20% which is no good. if you want to use thirsty hippo or other dehumidifiers, dont tear away the foil wholly. open 1/5 will prevent it from sucking in too much moisture.

How big is big? If you need to put a lot of things why not get a dry cabinet?

I second that, on the long run have a dry cabinet will cost lesser, and the factor of it being maintenance free is something more valuable too. For now, having a hygrometer is important, a digital one that displays temperature as well will cost about 20 odd dollars at handifix :)

Thanks!

Too dry may cause those rubber to crack. esp those L lens rubber seal.

How big is big? If you need to put a lot of things why not get a dry cabinet?

LOl. i alrready got a 60L dry cabinet for lens and camera(exp stuff). and my other cheapo Accessories is kept under the concern of hippo. ;)

A hygrometer is needed to check the humidity...shdn't trust guessing...my experience is that hippo can easily drop humidity to <40% if use too much...

most DIY shops should carry. a analogue one cost ard 5 bucks while a digital one cost around 20.

LOl. i alrready got a 60L dry cabinet for lens and camera(exp stuff). and my other cheapo Accessories is kept under the concern of hippo. ;)

Haha so you mean you use a gigantic dry box for your accessories?

I use a Thirsty Hippo in my cabinet (not dry cabinet), but the cabinet is not air tight since it is just a part of my furniture so the humidity level is just nice. I use a hydrometer.

i have a spoilt 36L dry cabinet to exchange for some useful items if you have any. The thermometer and hygrometer display is still working. The humidifier itself is not working only. If you throw in 1 hippo, it should work.

hey, for those interested, you can actually get an analog hygrometer from DAISO @ $2, but I don't think all outlets have them.