Is something wrong with our education system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chin

Oct 31, 2006
Singapore Central
Singapore has always been proud of the achievement by students excelling in maths and sciences in many international competitions and its education system is said to be envied by many other countries. On the other hand, students in USA have always fared poorly but once it reaches tertiary level, USA does so much better and it is an undisputed fact that most of the top universities in the world are in USA. If Singapore has been able to produce students with very good results going into our universities, why are we lagging so far behind compared to the American universities.

I don't have an answer to this but it is clear something is wrong with our system that is over emphasizing the importance of academic results. I know of someone whose kids had average results but he had the money to send them to good high schools in USA and they are now studying at Harvard and MIT. Perhaps, our system is good up to ''O" level but wonder how many of our "A" students actually qualify for places in top American universities. In my opinion, it is about time our Education Ministry should do some soul-searching to revamp our system but for a start, it must find out what makes American universities tick when its schooling system prior to that level can't even compete at international level.

Why do we have to be dependant on our education system?

If a person is intelligent and creative, under whatever system, he also can excel.

Under rigid system, he can find other ways to improve himself. The things he learnt outside will not be counted into his results but this things he learnt for himself will be useful when he graduated.

If a rigid system teaches only A, B and C subjects, he himself can pick up D, E, F subjects himself.

One is not confined to whatever educational system he is in.

Why do we have to be dependant on our education system?

If a person is intelligent and creative, under whatever system, he also can excel.

everybody has a different 'maturing' rate n some only 'get smarter' much later on in life, maybe late teens.

under the so-called 'right education system', we are all more or less restricted n confined and some might get left behind but it doesn't mean they are not smart nor are they less academic inclined.

i dun agree with the "If a person is intelligent and creative, under whatever system, he also can excel. ".

Under rigid system, he can find other ways to improve himself. The things he learnt outside will not be counted into his results but this things he learnt for himself will be useful when he graduated.

If a rigid system teaches only A, B and C subjects, he himself can pick up D, E, F subjects himself.

lost u there.

One is not confined to whatever educational system he is in.

this is only at the later stage of our life when we actually can think n plan for ourselves. of cos, it depends entirely on one's own mindset as well as matureness.

of course there is something wrong with our education system.

we have no ppl who are willing to serve our country and our ppl.
according to our gahmen, we need to attact ppl with million dollars salary so that they will come and serve our country and our ppl.

of course there is something wrong with our education system.

we have no ppl who are willing to serve our country and our ppl.
according to our gahmen, we need to attact ppl with million dollars salary so that they will come and serve our country and our ppl.

:bsmilie:

everybody has a different 'maturing' rate n some only 'get smarter' much later on in life, maybe late teens.

under the so-called 'right education system', we are all more or less restricted n confined and some might get left behind but it doesn't mean they are not smart nor are they less academic inclined.

i dun agree with the "If a person is intelligent and creative, under whatever system, he also can excel. ".

lost u there.

this is only at the later stage of our life when we actually can think n plan for ourselves. of cos, it depends entirely on one's own mindset as well as matureness.

what I mean it, now I am studying design, but I am learning what my current educational system hasn't taught me - photography, life skills, finance management. I think what I learnt outside the circumlum is more useful for me in my later life. What I study is to get me a cert, period.

I think at the university level, independant thinking is very important. Perhaps, our education system have somehow crippled them before entering into the universities. I think the MOE is trying to address that in the recent years.

An intelligent and creative person will confirm excel, if he didn't excel, it means that he is not really wise and smart enough. Wise persons will not be bounded by a system, but find ways to go beyond the system because his intelligence has superpassed the system.

what I mean it, now I am studying design, but I am learning what my current educational system hasn't taught me - photography, life skills, finance management. I think what I learnt outside the circumlum is more useful for me in my later life. What I study is to get me a cert, period.
yes, it is good that you follow other courses outside the normal curriculum, but see it as a start from which you need to follow up.......do not just learn method of how to do things only, but use what you learn to solve problems in new situations.

I was working in research here for 10 years, and I noticed that the (young) techincians and students were good at doing what they learned (as a skill) up to a certain point. They can do things only how they were taught to, but when there were problems they have no clue how to solve it. It all boils down to the individual if he/she can think in a different way when there are problems, or try to find out from the literature how things work and think of a solution......

The older technicians though were quite good at finding practical solutions, makes you wonder if in the old days education here was better :)

I also talked to a taxi driver one day and he told me that he was appalled at the attitude of university students, they ar eposted at hogher positions and had to tell older (more experienced workers) how to do things (according to the books), although they know from their experience that it would not work in that way.......and that person just told them they had to do it the way he told them (perhaps thats the way he was taught to do it).

Sometimes, the books/schools don't teach you the right practical way.......

HS

An intelligent and creative person will confirm excel, if he didn't excel, it means that he is not really wise and smart enough. Wise persons will not be bounded by a system, but find ways to go beyond the system because his intelligence has superpassed the system.

sounds like u shud work in the government sector. :bsmilie:

yes, it is good that you follow other courses outside the normal curriculum, but see it as a start from which you need to follow up.......do not just learn method of how to do things only, but use what you learn to solve problems in new situations.

I was working in research here for 10 years, and I noticed that the (young) techincians and students were good at doing what they learned (as a skill) up to a certain point. They can do things only how they were taught to, but when there were problems they have no clue how to solve it. It all boils down to the individual if he/she can think in a different way when there are problems, or try to find out from the literature how things work and think of a solution......

The older technicians though were quite good at finding practical solutions, makes you wonder if in the old days education here was better :)

I also talked to a taxi driver one day and he told me that he was appalled at the attitude of university students, they ar eposted at hogher positions and had to tell older (more experienced workers) how to do things (according to the books), although they know from their experience that it would not work in that way.......and that person just told them they had to do it the way he told them (perhaps thats the way he was taught to do it).

Sometimes, the books/schools don't teach you the right practical way.......

HS

I honestly admit I got this problem!

this is call 'opening-up to other possible avenues n in-roads'. :bsmilie:

some are simply termed 'life-skills' n comes with experiences n age.

The scariest thing I've seen is parents doing homework for their primary school children. When asked, their reply was "Everyone does it. If I don't, my kid will lose out in class" :bigeyes:

So before we get philosophical with tertiary education, I think we ought to take a long hard look at the primary education system.

The system here is all based on academic and basically it's the paper that you get (PSLE,O &A level) that counts. Here's a good example: I've brought an American guest with her 6 year old daughter (1st grade) to the recent Chingay Parade. After the parade, she asked me for the tickets, flyers and even collected the conffetti on the floor. I asked her why and the mother says she wants to write a paper on her visit to the Parade with all the stuff she collected and it seems this is what she also do whenever she goes on special outings. She's been doing this since she was in kindergarten. I don't think any of our 4 or 6 years old will ever be doing that unless they are forced to do so. Most of our kids will probably be spending time with all kinds of homework instead (no time for such project).

Its not about beating the system its JUST THAT Sgean are too Passsive to Go against the Flow ( kai su , kai sei )

Well in Sg we Don't get the Chance to have a mild pace life like America

we are force in a world where everything is fast pace and don't even take time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the view .

the paper chasing and croperate ladder climbing has made us in such a way that " i want to get it if not my future is not secure ect

And Note Singaporean are not really experience to the issues of life ask them what is hunger they'll say not eating for a meal where actually real hunger is not eating for days.

Ask them what is a broken family they'll say father and mother divoce where america Fathers reject their children mothers run away Even Pimps are killing prositudes children they face a hardship far more then our fairy lifes can create

Well. The system has taught most people to follow the rules, be spoon fed, and if you're not sure, just follow the rules and stick to what's safe.

In today's days, even if we find ourselves stucked at problems, there's always google. BUT many people still prefer to be spoon fed/change topic/ignore the problem instead of trying to solve it.

Oh well.

Europe & US: "Explore and discover".

Singapore: "We must multi-task".

It kills the spirit liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.