Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually if u go overseas to shoot, it won't be easy also.. u dunno the place.. the cost is so expensive...

i agree that landscape photographers spend alot of $ travelling to remote places to shoot... but they can sell the images.... and recover the costs...

so for us, it is better to shoot where u live... die die make the best out of it.. never say die!

if the same shots keep emerging, then it just points to less creative effort, not a lack of places to shoot. 600+ square kilometres is not that small.

Not really expensive. I've discovered that some areas in Malaysia have very good landscape to shoot, like Malacca, Mount Kinabalu, Sekinchan padi field, Ipoh old town etc. Not to mention Indonesia, I believe there are more places to shoot there too.

actually if u go overseas to shoot, it won't be easy also.. u dunno the place.. the cost is so expensive...

i agree that landscape photographers spend alot of $ travelling to remote places to shoot... but they can sell the images.... and recover the costs...

so for us, it is better to shoot where u live... die die make the best out of it.. never say die!

singapore, you go all the reservoir, all the beaches, and cityscapes, you have no more than 30 location to shoot, and you can shoot sunset, sunrsie, afternoon.. = 3X30, total maybe 90 combinations.. and you will try very hard to compose your photo, different framing.. maybe you will get 3 nice one at each location + timing.. then you will get 270 nice photos..

:bsmilie:

if you do once a week you can do it for 5 1/2 years....

singapore, you go all the reservoir, all the beaches, and cityscapes, you have no more than 30 location to shoot, and you can shoot sunset, sunrsie, afternoon.. = 3X30, total maybe 90 combinations.. and you will try very hard to compose your photo, different framing.. maybe you will get 3 nice one at each location + timing.. then you will get 270 nice photos..

:bsmilie:

if you do once a week you can do it for 5 1/2 years....

way more than 30.

just city hall area alone, there is:

1) merlion park view, that alone can provide at least 3-4 viewpoints
2) suntec city + fountain of wealth (2-3)
3) shenton way from esplanade waterfront (1)
4) marina bay sands (4, at the very least)
5) the bridge near funan (forgot what it's called) (1)
6) collyer quay view of city (2)
7) esplanade itself (4)
8) various misc views of city hall, padang, st andrew's cathedral, various churches... (at least 10)

please do the math. :bsmilie:

way more than 30.

7) esplanade itself (4)
8) various misc views of city hall, padang, st andrew's cathedral, various churches... (at least 10)

my math failed.. :devil: but i know Singapore is boring.. because everyone in singapore want to go for tour every year.. NATAS show forever crowded.

No need to go NATAS fair...just drive north and you have varities of landscapes to shoot. I'm wondering why there are not many Malaysia landscape photos here. Are the locals afraid of going to Malaysia?:dunno:

my math failed.. :devil: but i know Singapore is boring.. because everyone in singapore want to go for tour every year.. NATAS show forever crowded.

No need to go NATAS fair...just drive north and you have varities of landscapes to shoot. I'm wondering why there are not many Malaysia landscape photos here. Are the locals afraid of going to Malaysia?:dunno:

fact is, yes. i am too.

unless you have a friend to bring you around, after all the horror stories you read about in the news, it's a bit hard to just think that it is as simple as galloping about the place on a horse. :bsmilie:

i don't think they go there to shoot landscapes, as far as my facebook tells me.

most people go there to take pictures of themselves in front of different things. buildings, shops, little shrubs...

way more than 30.

7) esplanade itself (4)

WK... when you free? I bring you to this new place.. not sure nice.. but got potential..

a lot of mozzies though... need to bring insect repellant... I think Bryan also wants to go...

WK... when you free? I bring you to this new place.. not sure nice.. but got potential..

a lot of mozzies though... need to bring insect repellant... I think Bryan also wants to go...

weekends only... sadly.. :)

fact is, yes. i am too.

unless you have a friend to bring you around, after all the horror stories you read about in the news, it's a bit hard to just think that it is as simple as galloping about the place on a horse. :bsmilie:

not all places in Malaysia are hotspots for crimes. You just have to know where. There are many places that are actually quite safe, common sense included.

This actually gives me an idea of going up the east coast of west malaysia for a photo shooting trip.

Yeah, it's hard to go oversea to take landscape photos, especially when we are going with family or gf/wife. We won't have much time to wait for the perfect timing to shoot landscape and sometimes we are unlucky to meet rainy days during the travel.

i don't think they go there to shoot landscapes, as far as my facebook tells me.

most people go there to take pictures of themselves in front of different things. buildings, shops, little shrubs...

I just voice out from a viewer's perspective on the local landscape photos posted in this forum. For myself, I haven't really focus on landscape shooting but will strive to make a difference in photography.
However, I believe there are some very good landscape master in Singapore, just that there are too many followers, which make the photos almost the same. Sorry if too harsh, just share my thoughts from a viewer's perspective.

i think u should spread your viewing to flickr and other online photo sharing sites to see if u can find photos of singapore's landscape..

Not really expensive. I've discovered that some areas in Malaysia have very good landscape to shoot, like Malacca, Mount Kinabalu, Sekinchan padi field, Ipoh old town etc. Not to mention Indonesia, I believe there are more places to shoot there too.

I'm ashamed that you find nothing of interest in Singapore. I know the island is no bigger than Perth but it still offers many many interesting places which is why we have millions and millions of tourists visiting each year. Be proud of your island state and what it has to offer. It is the lack of creative imagination and not the lack of places to take that is holding you back.

Some landscapes takes patience and time/effort to get that wow. :cool:

not all places in Malaysia are hotspots for crimes. You just have to know where. There are many places that are actually quite safe, common sense included.

This actually gives me an idea of going up the east coast of west malaysia for a photo shooting trip.

yes, agree, but there are also other limitations.

malaysia is not as well connected as singapore, public transport wise, that is a fact. i don't have a car, and i don't intend to drive cars that aren't mine, and i'm quite sure renting one is not very economical.

so given a choice between a seaside location and singapore , if i'm bored with singapore, why not. given a choice between a location where i have to drive, and singapore... i'd much rather stay here and explore my homeland more thoroughly..

there is something more than just "looking for something nice to shoot", actually. i feel happy here, and i want to show others (and sometimes, ourselves) that singapore is beautiful.

most of the time, i take a holiday to break away, any landscape is a bonus. for a while there, my holidays were planned around photography... but i've since realised that there's more to life than just focusing on that.

Yeah, it's hard to go oversea to take landscape photos, especially when we are going with family or gf/wife. We won't have much time to wait for the perfect timing to shoot landscape and sometimes we are unlucky to meet rainy days during the travel.

Can be done if you put your heart to it.

4304442172_9d56d6f01b.jpg

3556881256_414a55d4bd.jpg

my fiancee is also a photographer.

at first she was like you.

she said, "singapore so mundane", then i brought her around a few times, now she agrees that it is perhaps, in some sense, familiar... but by no means mundane, and definitely not exhaustive for landscape shoots. :)

when we went to paris, we were on the rooftop of tour montparnasse for nearly an hour amidst serious wind.

when we went to bali, we spent the whole day in the sun shooting seascapes, only breaking for rather delightful lunches and enjoying the nights leisurely when the light had died. we walked nearly 2 hours back to our hotel along the beach in the dark because our guide had gone home.

i guess i'm lucky. :)

Last edited:
Singapore is a small island. This is the fact. If Singapore has unlimited landscape shooting, then how about Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan or even China?
Well, since we are living in this tiny island, what we can do is to work around to get different perspective landscape shoots. This is very challenging indeed.
However, maybe we have a HUGE pool of photography hobbyists in Singapore, who shoot the Singapore landscapes day in day out until I see too many of the photos are identical. This is one of the reasons I guess.

I'm ashamed that you find nothing of interest in Singapore. I know the island is no bigger than Perth but it still offers many many interesting places which is why we have millions and millions of tourists visiting each year. Be proud of your island state and what it has to offer. It is the lack of creative imagination and not the lack of places to take that is holding you back.

Some landscapes takes patience and time/effort to get that wow. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.