Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Good news for those who want to make Singapore a cycling nation.
You can find more information in today's Straits Times
(30th April, 2009) in a Special article on "The Dutch and the Bicycle" by Philip Lee

Though there are many with negative thoughts of using the bicycle as another way
of commuting, it is very enlightening to know that the authorities are going ahead
to make Singapore a paradise for cyclists. Read all about the "Thrills and spills on
a bicycle", "Two wheels better than four" More often than not Csers Matthew did
make some awakening...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472352&page=23

:thumbsup: :)

I am all for cycling but I feel it might take longer to turn sg into a cycling nation considering how most singaporeans have their asses perpetually glued to their carseats.

hi,

certainly it is a good activity and idea to turn Singapore into a cycling paradise. but educating the cyclist is needed. how often did we see/experience cyclist cyling on the walkway n barging ppl on foot out of their path. they posed substantial danger to users on foot especially children. it is impt to give them reminders that cyclist should remain on the roads as they are categorised as a vehicle and need to obey traffic rules.

Hope the govt tackle this problem as they turn Singapore into a cycling paradise

Cheers
Shaz

hi,

certainly it is a good activity and idea to turn Singapore into a cycling paradise. but educating the cyclist is needed. how often did we see/experience cyclist cyling on the walkway n barging ppl on foot out of their path. they posed substantial danger to users on foot especially children. it is impt to give them reminders that cyclist should remain on the roads as they are categorised as a vehicle and need to obey traffic rules.

Hope the govt tackle this problem as they turn Singapore into a cycling paradise

Cheers
Shaz

Asking the cyclist to ride on the road and face the traffic?? Err... Singapore roads are not safe for cyclist. If gov wants to do this, then a designated cyclist lane is better or widening the walkway to include a section for cyclist.

hi,

Cheers
Shaz

I disagree with that. I believe both parties should be educated.
If you take a look at some cycling threads and a backdated article from stomp you would see the mentality most drivers have about cyclists on the roads. They feel that cyclists should not be even cycling on the roads at all as they don't pay road tax, and because of that they sometimes refuse to give the right of way to the cyclist because of this bias but I'm digressing here.
To reiterate a point both parties should be educated.

I am all for cycling but I feel it might take longer to turn sg into a cycling nation considering how most singaporeans have their asses perpetually glued to their carseats.

my colleague said 5min walk to lunch is too far...someone must drive!

If you take a look at some cycling threads and a backdated article from stomp you would see the mentality most drivers have about cyclists on the roads. They feel that cyclists should not be even cycling on the roads at all as they don't pay road tax, and because of that they sometimes refuse to give the right of way to the cyclist because of this bias but I'm digressing here.
hi.

hmm. my bad. both parties should be educated. thanks for correcting me there. and if im not mistaken. i've seen on a police roadshow abt cycling and states that cyclist should be cyling on the road. but then again. a point brought up by a bro above. drivers arent vy aware of drivers. but would making a new pathway for cycling justify the amount of money needed to lay those cement?

Cheers
Shaz

I agree to a certain extend. Yes. Both parties must be educated. I have no complains about cyclist cycling on the road, as long as they keep to the extreme left, and not veer out occasionally, or cycling in the middle of the lane, as if the whole lane belongs to them, or not giving way at the give way line, or even zebra crossing, or beating the red light. Cyclist do not have the right to beat the red light, be it if got traffic or not.

As part of the road user, cyclist must obey all traffic signs and regulations.

hi.

hmm. my bad. both parties should be educated. thanks for correcting me there. and if im not mistaken. i've seen on a police roadshow abt cycling and states that cyclist should be cyling on the road. but then again. a point brought up by a bro above. drivers arent vy aware of drivers. but would making a new pathway for cycling justify the amount of money needed to lay those cement?

Cheers
Shaz

well we wouldn't know until thats been done I guess. Perhaps it might work, maybe it might be a flop. If they do lay a new pathway beside the roads specially for cyclists, would there be a raised lane separator? Or would it just be another lane? My concern for this is because there are impatient drivers who drive on road shoulders when they're caught in a jam. Would this happen when a new lane for cyclists is made? What if a driver were to take advantage of that lane as well? It would definitely compromise the safety of the cyclist.
Sometimes I feel that cyclists are caught in the middle. They are neither welcome on the pedestrian paths nor roads.

I agree to a certain extend. Yes. Both parties must be educated. I have no complains about cyclist cycling on the road, as long as they keep to the extreme left, and not veer out occasionally, or cycling in the middle of the lane, as if the whole lane belongs to them, or not giving way at the give way line, or even zebra crossing, or beating the red light. Cyclist do not have the right to beat the red light, be it if got traffic or not.

As part of the road user, cyclist must obey all traffic signs and regulations.

agreed :thumbsup: most of them do keep to the left and most do adhere to road rules.
What scares me the most are still foreigners who cycle against traffic.
They seem to have complete disregard for traffic laws.

i believe the new path wouldnt be as big as the lanes on the road? and have you not seen those designated cycling path like those in east coast park? im sure the govt if they are gg thru with the idea is gg to do smth similar where the cycling path is next to the footpath and not on the road itself.

agreed :thumbsup: most of them do keep to the left and most do adhere to road rules.
and i would say they are the ones that poses danger to foot path users. speeding ( if i may) on footpath n ringing the bell at the vy last minute shocking ppl. elderly and children may nt react in time.

To touch on what you had mentioned, most cyclist hobbyist in singapore (Those who keep cycling, be it racer or dirt track) are the best. They really do obey all rules and regulations.

For the others, especially foreigers and children, they ride like the whole word and road belongs to them. Those are the ones that need to be educated, or otherwise suffer an accident and pulling drivers down with them...

To touch on what you had mentioned, most cyclist hobbyist in singapore (Those who keep cycling, be it racer or dirt track) are the best. They really do obey all rules and regulations.

For the others, especially foreigers and children, they ride like the whole word and road belongs to them. Those are the ones that need to be educated, or otherwise suffer an accident and pulling drivers down with them...
i agree on this.

cheers mate
shaz

i believe the new path wouldnt be as big as the lanes on the road? and have you not seen those designated cycling path like those in east coast park? im sure the govt if they are gg thru with the idea is gg to do smth similar where the cycling path is next to the footpath and not on the road itself.

That would be quite an amusing thing to watch then. Sammy might be able to back me up on this.
The designated cycling path in east coast, although wide and well paved, is not only filled with cyclists and bladers; but also choked with pedestrians at times who sometimes give cyclists dirty looks as if we're not supposed to be there.
So this is another problem posed. Pedestrians taking their own sweet time to stroll on the cycling path.
which kinda evens things out since cyclists like to cycle on the pedestrian path at times and we have pedestrians who somehow like to stray onto the cycling path. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
it is simple isnt it? those on cycling path by foot is wrong and vice versa. then again as usual. u need the govt to step in to fine the one in wrong. just like Jackie Chan says. we lack self respect.

Why bother? already so KS on the roads already, now become more ks on the walkways also?

this is a good direction, cycling nation. The dutch are actually mostly very fit, coz they cycle everywhere. :thumbsup:

firstly, education. I can't stress enough on how asinine some drivers can be, regardless of whichever country they come from. they have the whole holier than thou attitude, especially when it comes to lesser beings in lesser forms of vehicular transport, be it human powered or powered by mechanical pistons. the same goes to bikers, some of whom are so proud of their efforts that it clouds their sense of judgement and perception. they somehow think that the ability to cycle to and fro work, through rush hour and hail/wintery showers imbues them with the invulnerability of being knocked down by a car.

what I'm trying to say here is, if we're going to have an increased amount of cyclist on the roads, start from the grass roots level. educate the public (both drivers and non-drivers alike, and bikers/non-bikers alike) about the pros and cons of it. also, enforce traffic rules onto both parties with a fair and firm hand. in Melbourne, the cops pull bikers over if they do not wear helmets, or do not observe traffic rules if they are cycling on the bitumen instead of the pathway (even if the bitumen is dedicated bike lane, they will still pull you over if you decide to cut a red light in front of them).

Have been waiting for this day to come since long ago. I think in order to educate drivers, make it compulsory to have them pass cycling tests on road. They will be more conscious of the harm from wreckless or inconsiderate driving can do to cyclists. I think the strange behaviour from foreigners could be due to their government policy in favouring pedestrians if accident occurs. Not everyone can afford a car but many can afford bicycles which I believe will help sustain economy better.

Status
Not open for further replies.