Is Sigma 19mm F2.8 consider good prime lense?

davidlomo

Dec 29, 2009
Hi, im just switch from DSLR to M43. Is Sigma 19mm F2.8 consider a good prime lense? intend to get it for my Lumix GF8

I think it's a decent prime, though I would prefer to Pana 20/1.7 ( slow auto focus though, but sharp and it's a small pancake)

IS 20mm f1.7 suitable for portrait only? Cuz i'm kinda lazy to change lense during travelling.. haha.. so intend to use it for all purposes.

Depends on your own shooting style and what you like to shoot. Those who enjoy UWA might find it too tight as the only lens during travel, some will find it okay. What lens do you have now? if it's a kit zoom, set it to the same FOV then see if you can live with it for a whole week of shooting, for example.

Depends on your own shooting style and what you like to shoot. Those who enjoy UWA might find it too tight as the only lens during travel, some will find it okay. What lens do you have now? if it's a kit zoom, set it to the same FOV then see if you can live with it for a whole week of shooting, for example.
Mine is the kit lense 12-32mm F3.5-5.6. the image quality is quite flat... thats why intend to get a budgetary lense, not so expensive type.

It's not really a portraiture focal length, though you still can acheive some blur background. prime (fixed focal length) lenses are hardly all purposes really, the 12-32 kit lens would fit most purposes. But if you can adapt to certain to it's focal lengths only, it can become all purposes. For example, you can try to zoom your 12-32 to 20mm and walk around and see if you can use at that focal length only.