Is remote cord important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scann

Nov 11, 2004
Hi,
I have a Fujifilm S7000 and I have an option to use the remote cord and I used it for night portraits. I was thinking of upgrading to Nikon D50 and I realised that there isn't the option to put the remote cord. Why is this so ? Is it because more pro photographers have more stable hands and therefore do not need to use the remote cord?;p Thanks!

Regards,
Scann

scann said:
Hi,
I have a Fujifilm S7000 and I have an option to use the remote cord and I used it for night portraits. I was thinking of upgrading to Nikon D50 and I realised that there isn't the option to put the remote cord. Why is this so ? Is it because more pro photographers have more stable hands and therefore do not need to use the remote cord?;p Thanks!

Regards,
Scann

Have you ever consider maybe..just maybe....the D50 uses a wireless infra-red version like the D70s or the D70 ....blah blah... and that maybe...just maybe remote cord is old technology? heheheheh

And also...as an after thought....migth be subjective but"pros" will not use a D50 lah.

I think there is a cord release for the D50 which nikon aren't promoting. not too sure abt that. But the remote control shutter release so cheap, dun need to think twice.

Hi scann,

No matter how steady the hands can be, one can never replace the tripod.

A remote cord is necessary if you want to trigger the shutter instantly when on a tripod. If you don't need that, setting the timer to trigger will do the trick. Usually, remote cord is useful when you take fireworks.

Not really necessary IMO, but it really depends on what kind of pictures you're taking.

scann said:
Hi,

Regards,
Scann

thanks for the replies!
I used to use the remote cord for taking fireworks and they turn out great. And of course i cannot use timer to take fireworks cos they will be gone by the then..hahaa:)
for the remote control, how much is it? can it only be used when u are facing the front of the camera? then it will be quite weird if i am trying to take a picture of fireworks and trying to point the remote at the front of the camera..
and i am not a pro so ...my hands are still shaky..;)
thanks!

For fireworks, you'll need a cable release or an IR cable release. Of course, the timer won't work in this case.

I'm not sure about the price of an IR remote or cable release. Bought it long time ago; you may want to do a search for the exact model and pricing.

If you're using the IR remote, it depends where is the receiver on the camera. If it's built in front of the cam, then you need to point your transmitter to the front of the camera.

scann said:
thanks for the replies!
I used to use the remote cord for taking fireworks and they turn out great. And of course i cannot use timer to take fireworks cos they will be gone by the then..hahaa:)
for the remote control, how much is it? can it only be used when u are facing the front of the camera? then it will be quite weird if i am trying to take a picture of fireworks and trying to point the remote at the front of the camera..
and i am not a pro so ...my hands are still shaky..;)
thanks!

itchy said:
I think there is a cord release for the D50 which nikon aren't promoting. not too sure abt that. But the remote control shutter release so cheap, dun need to think twice.

There is no such cord release for the D50. You can't attach any of the available Nikon remote wired cord trigger as it is only for certain pro and semipro bodies. Not even the D70 which I have could use any of the old remote wired type I still have with me. ( MC-20 & MC-25 ) You need to have certain type of coupling that is either built onto the body(F5, F4, F100, D1X..etc) or the optional battery vertical grip like the D100...for you to attached certain remote cord to them. There is also no such thing as using those old fashion wire trigger type remote anymore as most modern shutter release are electronic and does not have the screw-on hole on it.(Nikon AR-3 )

The D50 like the D70 will only accept a IR remote trigger. The sensor is on the front of the camera. The reason for having that remote sensor in the front and not the back is due two reason....so you can trigger it remotely if you are taking a group picture and you are part of the group you are shooting as well as to aim your IR remote control at the front of the camera to trigger the camera for those long exposure shots. I am not sure why someone here feel 'weird' doing it but I have shot this year's NDP fireworks festival and found it does not effect my shooting. It could be Nikon's economics reasons why they only built one sensor when they could have built two ( one in the back and one in the front). But that is the way it is...if you really want all the bells and whistle..then you just have to buy the more high price camera or buy another camera brand that give that to you. heh.

D70s got the option of using IR remote or wire remote cable.

donchua said:
D70s got the option of using IR remote or wire remote cable.

Yup for the D70s there is the MC-DC1 which interestingly enough uses the USB (?) socket on the body...which I guess is taking advantage of the same triggering connection when you connect the camera to your PC and use Nikon Capture software to actually trigger or take a photo shot and sent it directly to your PC. I use capture to do my product shoot that way too and view it right off my PC monitor. You got me wondering if this cable can be used on my D70. But fro what I could dig up..it is only for the D70s.

381577.jpg

sammy888 said:
Yup for the D70s there is the MC-DC1 which interestingly enough uses the USB (?) socket on the body...which I guess is taking advantage of the same triggering connection when you connect the camera to your PC and use Nikon Capture software to actually trigger or take a photo shot and sent it directly to your PC. I use capture to do my product shoot that way too and view it right off my PC monitor. You got me wondering if this cable can be used on my D70. But fro what I could dig up..it is only for the D70s.

381577.jpg

It is not using the USB port. The USB port is the one near the cam base.
It got a port specially for the MC-DC1 just below the strap loop.
d70s_side_lt.jpg

Pic from Steves Digicams.

so if someone reverse engineer the trigger command that Nikon capture sends to trigger the shutter it would be possible to make a remote cord for the D70

hmmmm.... interesting

donchua said:
It is not using the USB port. The USB port is the one near the cam base.
It got a port specially for the MC-DC1 just below the strap loop.
d70s_side_lt.jpg

Pic from Steves Digicams.
Damn!...thanks for the update.... I am wondering if this was a trial thingy to see if they might put in future models...funny to see it on the D70s and not on the the D50. Might be to just give the d70s abit more "bite" I guess.

But I would rather use the wireless IR control...cheaper for sure. Looking at the cable MC-DC1..it should be almost $100.

ortega said:
so if someone reverse engineer the trigger command that Nikon capture sends to trigger the shutter it would be possible to make a remote cord for the D70

hmmmm.... interesting

nope...false alarm bro...hehe it is another port altogether. I wonder how I managed to miss this when I read the D70 specs just prior to its release.

But again....if we could use the Nikon Capture to trigger the shot via the PC..I am also wondering if all the other models can do it with reverse engineery done by some third party company so they can introduce a wired remote control. I think we would need the SDK kit to find out but alas..that would not be possible. Nikon too secretive about it...I heard Canon is not..they do let others try out their SDK kit to look into creating software to control certain Canon DSLRs.

sammy888 said:
Damn!...thanks for the update.... I am wondering if this was a trial thingy to see if they might put in future models...funny to see it on the D70s and not on the the D50. Might be to just give the d70s abit more "bite" I guess.

But I would rather use the wireless IR control...cheaper for sure. Looking at the cable MC-DC1..it should be almost $100.

IR control is subjected to line of sight.
Tried before and it lying in my cabi since I bought the MC-DC1 cable.
BTW, the MC-DC1 was selling around $35 to $40 only and
I bought mine for <$40.

donchua said:
IR control is subjected to line of sight.
Tried before and it lying in my cabi since I bought the MC-DC1 cable.
BTW, the MC-DC1 was selling around $35 to $40 only and
I bought mine for <$40.

wah that is pretty cheap....one of the cheapest remote cable to come from Nikon heh. Well I am happy with my ML-L1 Infra-red Remote Control. I hate being in the front of a camera and being in group shots hehe...so I have never had a problem with line of sight triggering. For long exposure, it has not let me down once so far. My favorite is still the one I bought to use on my F5 and F100 which is the MC-20. Wish I could still use it with my D70.

Status
Not open for further replies.