Is RECIPROCITY FAILURE applicable to Digital photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Verre Vrai

The reciprocity law states that Exposure = Intensity X Time. “Intensity” is the amount of light, and “Time” refers to how long that amount of light is allowed to act on the film’s emulsion. Intensity is generally controlled by the aperture and time is generally controlled by the shutter speed. The reciprocity law therefore means that an exposure provided by ƒ8 and 1/250 sec will gave the same results as ƒ11 and 1/125 sec., or ƒ16 and 1/60 sec., and so on. If one choice of settings provides proper exposure, then the others will as well. The law “fails,” however, when slow shutter speeds change the film’s apparent speed characteristics, making it seem to have a slower speed and produce color shift.

What about digital photography where no film is used. So far, I have not encounter RF yet though I do a lot of night photography.

Originally posted by Verre Vrai
What about digital photography where no film is used.
I doubt so, because all the available exposure settings are electronically adjusted and calibrated for the particular sensor that the digital camera is using. I suppose that if someday we have the freedom to "change" the sensor as we please (like what we do for rolls of film now), a similar problem may appear due to the different light response curves of different sensors.

haha I think it applies but uses a totally different curve...
just like a resistor follows this recipro law, except it's called ohm's law...
there's a range where anything operates in a nice linear fashion, with two cutoffs...

too bad got so much filter circuitry... else wd be quite interesting to see how well they push... or if got all those colour shifts and R G and B performance under lowlight and super light...

Status
Not open for further replies.