is qualification important to be a good photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, a background in the arts would be an advantage, but not a neccessity.

there are photographer's out there that don't have an "art" background.

check this list out

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=140680#post140680

Having an understanding of your subject would be very good, for example, a background in Sociology. This pips your basic interest in the subject first, photography is a way to express the photographer's feelings.

for me, there are 2 basic "requirements" for being a good photographer

1) direction
2) "having something to say"

my friend once (or more than once) said "if the picture tells nothing, don't click the shutter"

to be a "professional photographer" you just need good marketting :p

rgs
rueyloon

You just need a good eye, and if you shoot people/wedding, a good personality. If you shoot events, you must be able to anticipate well. All these you can't learn in school/whatever.

Regards
CK

You have probably seen photogs. with numerous suffixes to their name. Example (no offence to Mr Ong Swee Huat):-

ONG SWEE HUAT
PSA Galarxy, Hon.FPAS, Hon.EHKCC, Hon.EYMCAPS, APAS, Hon.ECPA, FPSM, EFIAP, MHFCBA, MHPFR, S.E.HKCPAC

To the credit of the photog. getting these accreditations are not easy as there are very stringent rules. But, really, how important are they?

Darren Lau
CS CTM, BaLD, Po0R, BA Hons, NPS

According to the topic....from what i feel.....seems like its true. At least you need some form of qualification to get somewhere....if not it will mean im wasting my time and money getting a diploma at a art school now...haaa. :D

personally, IMHO, don't think you need any qualifications to be a pro photog lor. it's the quality of your pictures that counts, really. you can have all the papers in the world and if you can't produce a decent pix, it's all useless. unless you're looking for a photo journalist position or something similar, then mabbe.

certification is just to arm you with the basics, then you gotta prove yourself, more so with arts and photog. end of the day, if someone stops to admire your picture, then you're ready.

but that's just my own 2 cents... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.