Is post processing that important

Status
Not open for further replies.

enyu

Dec 28, 2005
sometime just wondering is post processing really that important :dunno: invested so much on a DSLR, it should be able to take 'correction-free' pictures isn't it ?? why do we still need software to correct the pic ?

honestly speaking, no.

enyu said:
sometime just wondering is post processing really that important :dunno: invested so much on a DSLR, it should be able to take 'correction-free' pictures isn't it ?? why do we still need software to correct the pic ?

where did you get that idea from? :rolleyes:

The simple reason is everyone can now be a cameraman, as long as he owns a camera.
U need to have something else to stand out.

eikin said:
where did you get that idea from? :rolleyes:

what is wrong with that idea? THAT shoud be the correct idea. please do no use the old school "the man behind the camera bla bla" concept to dismiss the thread starter's idea.
in the past when i was using my 1D, i tweaked some settings and loaded a custom curve. and truly enough, i really enjoyed 99% correction free pictures straight out from the camera itself

and there is no need to be so sarcastic as to post the roll-eyes icon to dismiss the threadstarter's ideas.:thumbsd:

catchlights said:
You want perfect images straight out from the box?
That would be only happen in advertisment.

sorry. i did it with my 1D in the past. dont be so quick to dismiss this notion

user111 said:
what is wrong with that idea? THAT shoud be the correct idea. please do no use the old school "the man behind the camera bla bla" concept to dismiss the thread starter's idea.
in the past when i was using my 1D, i tweaked some settings and loaded a custom curve. and truly enough, i really enjoyed 99% correction free pictures straight out from the camera itself

and there is no need to be so sarcastic as to post the roll-eyes icon to dismiss the threadstarter's ideas.:thumbsd:

I got flamed for saying that I dun need to post process as I sent it to the lab straight away. The lab does the colour correction for me as every photo definitely needs colour correction. However, your reading must be accurate or close or else photo definitely needs your own touchup in photoshop to get a closer reading. Of course, the lab must be reputable enough

I also happen to tweak my camera according to the result of my initial test photos like what User111 did. However, certain pp said it is very unorthodox. I also dun know whether I right or wrong. But it has never failed me.

I'd sure love to see some works done without any form of Post processing(not D.I) In the digital or analog darkroom, isn't some form of post processing needed at least, however minimal?

user111 said:
sorry. i did it with my 1D in the past. dont be so quick to dismiss this notion
That's great, you should sell the custom curve that you tweaked, so you can be rich, or should I say canon should pay you big $$$ so they can use the custom curve install in all the canon cameras.

Imagine all the canon cameras of the world, installed a custom curve tweaked by you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even the famous photographers in the pass will spend hours in the dark room to burn or dodge their masterpiece.

I guess it is ok to do Di for the photo we take. I took alot of events photo. Believe me, sometimes you really need Di to help you get back the image that you do not have any time to slowly tweak ur settings to get it to a perfect exposure.

enyu said:

For your information, every camera no matter how high end also need colour correction. U may see it correctly on the screen is because your screen is not calibrated.

Question are

1. Are u so accurate in your settings until that you dun need colour corrections?
2. Who is the doing the post processing for you? The lab or yourself? Either way, also need colour correction.

As what i say before, the lab must be reputable enough. I ever had one set of photo that was developed very badly and I say gdbye to that shop. However, there is a limitation to what the lab can do. I frequent Kodak lab and they have use RGB values to adjust. If the photo is very bad, there is a limit on what they can do. I once have a badly exposed picture due to my flash not firing and I need to have that photo badly. The lab tried and could not get the correct value. I adjusted it photoshop first and then he adjusted it in the machine later and the photo came out.

However, certain pp use photoshop to enhance their photo. It really depends on what u want.

If u need to put your photo in an album and your photoshop not gd, then let the lab do it. Reason is that u may not get consistency in tone and colours. The 4 per page or 6 per page may look very odd as they are not consistent. It is not so obvious on a 1 per page album though. The lab has six photos on their screen concurrently and therefore they can adjust it properly.

If your photoshop not gd, you may have different tones and different colours on a six page album because your photoshop has shifted the colour during the editing process.

user111 said:

i don't even need a custom curve i shoot with my mobile phone and my grandma said very nice photo.

correction free photo is in the eyes of the beholder.

don't post wrong info - do you really understand what a curve does? are you saying that your custom curve can handle all lighting and scene condition?

enyu said:

I would say no.

Digital cameras have their flaws which software can reduce/remove/rectify but most of the time, images straight out from the camera still look like what we see with our eyes. With generally good sensors, imaging algorithms and optics of this modern day, how grossly bad are digital images coming straight out from say, a 5 or 6 megapixel camera?

Some photographers don't bother post-processing their snapshots or event shots. Post-processing is often motivated by perfectionistic nit-picking, and perhaps the obsessive desire to outdo each other. (No wonder we spend so much time on Photoshop and so little time dating, romancing, sexing, marrying, conceiving, etc :) )

Perhaps like the controversial Da Vinci Code movie, we need someone in this world to be brave enough to "expose" one of the greatest cover-ups in the history of photography, that digital camera manufacturers have conspired with software makers to sell the idea that digital images must have post-processing software. :bsmilie: Hey, it's a win-win situation for them.

Don't take me too seriously on this one but I hope you all get the idea.

catchlights said:
You want perfect images straight out from the box?
That would be only happen in advertisment.

I am with catchlights with this one.

I spend as much time on PS as I spend on shooting. In fact shooting is the easy part. PSing in areas like tonal control, colour correction, retouching etc require skill.

I do believe that the more care you take while shooting you may reduce works in PS later. However if I use my images straight from the box, they would be flat and lifeless.

Because all DSLR images are inherently soft due to the anti-aliasing filter, sharpening has to be applied to the images at the minimum to make the image look good. In this sense, post processing is important. Here are 2 images, one straight out of the camera and the other with USM applied:

forsree1.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg

Sion said:
I am with catchlights with this one.

I spend as much time on PS as I spend on shooting. In fact shooting is the easy part. PSing in areas like tonal control, colour correction, retouching etc require skill.

I do believe that the more care you take while shooting you may reduce works in PS later. However if I use my images straight from the box, they would be flat and lifeless.

What do u mean by flat and lifeless?

I know of a studio who use their DI-artists as their photographers. These DI people come in knowing nothing about photography. The photographer teaches them some basics, throw them some digital backs, and they started shooting assignments and subsequently work on the post processing.

Some people will tell you it's important. Some people will tell you it's not. It depends on the photographer and the end user. If it's for casual shooting, photos to be admired by friends, it probably isn't that important. If it's for selling to clients, and clients are the average end users who don't bother to discern the differences, it probably isn't that important. If the clients can tell the subtle differences, or appreciate the dramatic differences post-processing can do, then yes, I believe it's important.

shinken said:
I know of a studio who use their DI-artists as their photographers. These DI people come in knowing nothing about photography. The photographer teaches them some basics, throw them some digital backs, and they started shooting assignments and subsequently work on the post processing.

Some people will tell you it's important. Some people will tell you it's not. It depends on the photographer and the end user. If it's for casual shooting, photos to be admired by friends, it probably isn't that important. If it's for selling to clients, and clients are the average end users who don't bother to discern the differences, it probably isn't that important. If the clients can tell the subtle differences, or appreciate the dramatic differences post-processing can do, then yes, I believe it's important.

Agree on that. My friend was working on a big poster. Client was really colour sensitive. This apple not that colour, this orange not that colour, etc, etc. In this scenario, photoshop becomes very impt

enyu said:

It doesn't hurt to learn, so my suggestion would be: pick up some post-processing techniques, try them out and decide for yourself. Otherwise, all this discussion is just on paper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.