is Pentax popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

groupwest

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
Is Pentax SLR popular ?

I personally like Pentax *ist D SLR. It is small, light and trendy.
But I will not buy it 'cos Pentax is not so popular. It will be difficult to find used
lens or accessories at a later stage.

Also Pentax lens is hard to come by. Usually sold with Sigma lens.

Anybody share the same opinion ?
I own a film nikon. I hope Nikon will come up with a small Digital SLR like Pentax :D

I've been asking myself the same qustion. Despite good design, performance and picture quality the ist* D don't seem attract enough attention. Surprisingly Pentax maintains the price point at same level as Nikon D100 and Canon 10D, which I think is a mistake.

Lately noticed (in US) that Sigma SD9 price dropped quite a bit, close 300D.

Let me clear your doubt...

Yes, Pentax is not so popular coz u don't see it advertise everywhere in sg. but it doen't meant it is no good... :nono:

Talking about the design, I think it is still within standard.. :think:

The price is same level as D100 and 10D, it's not a mistake.. Coz *istD have the similar spec too. Pentax market in sg is small and yet less buyer.. so they can maintain their price point.. :cry:

I think Pentax Europe is doing quite alrite.
As in Singapore...guess who is their agent? One of the worst name in this distribution business...

groupwest said:
Is Pentax SLR popular ?

No. At least, not in most parts of the world.

But if you're concerned about getting K-mount glass, I think there is no need to worry. The world is your online marketplace (slogan shamelessly leeched from a popular auction site).

Then again, you mentioned you already own Nikon glass. In that case, why not stick to the F-mount?

Even their website has no asian region. Only Japan.
I think they ignore asia. I have a small Pentax Optio 330RS digital.
I like the design so I bought it. One day, I flip a japanese magazine and found out that it is actually famous in Japan. Here in Spore, you hardly see the ads.
Mostly people know IXUS from Canon. Who knows Pentax ? Even if both have close specs. Good marketing and Ads really work.

I haven't seen a local Pentax ad for a long while... the last televison Pentax advertisement I remember seeing was probably in late 1980s. Back then, the voice-over went "Pentax Pentax", together with the screen showing a black background and huge red Pentax word right in the middle, at the end of the commercial. Typical of modern day Japanese advertisements. It sounded silly, but it works for me.

All the major Pentax sites showed similar information, it probably doesn't matter which one you look at. Their film SLRs are named differently for the USA market though.

I have handled the *ist-D. It's a nice cam in a kitshe sort of way. It doesn't feel anything like the EOS 10D in the same price point ... the 10D definitely feels and operates like a better camera. Sad to say, the handling of the *ist-D is really closer to the EOS 300D.

Pentax does not make the sensor ... I think its the same CCD as the one used in the nikon D100 ...? I recall reading something.

I'm not bashing pentax... I am a fan of their glass. But the reality is I think, they are doomed. But do they really care... I think they make their money in compact-type cameras.

groupwest said:
Is Pentax SLR popular ?

Pentax SLR's come in two flavours, 135 format and 120 format.

The 135 (35mm) format are very popular in Australia, USA and Europe.

The 120 format gear is very common worldwide in studios and is a large seller.

Again... nothing is perfect. Every brand and their product have their pro's and con's..
Pentax is more for amateur use, not professional.. If really wants to take a good photo, it also depands on the photographer's skill :devil:

I think Pentax's medium format cameras such as the 645 and 6*7 are doing rather well in pro circles but their 35mm stuff doesn't have the same level of recognition as Nikon, Canon or Minolta eventhough it's technically part of the big 4 for SLRs. And correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the Pentax K mount has even greatter compatibility throughout their MF and AF range than the fabled Nikon's F mount.

I believe you're right on the slightly better K-mount compatibility than the F-mount, justarius. With the exception of the MZ-50, 30, 60 and the *ist film camera, all other cameras can meter with any K-mount lenses.

Even the *ist D, but that requires you to download the new firmware update and use it in hyper manual mode. Yes it uses the same sensor found in the Nikon D100, which carries the Sony label I believe.

But like Keltzer said, Pentax seems to be making more money in compact cameras than SLRs, and definitely they are not after the professional SLR users market. I won't be surprised if Pentax were to shut down their 35mm SLR production line one day, but it is my personal belief that Pentax will likely to stay this way - small but catering to a niche market. I'd love to see them add another lens to their metal-barrel series of Limited lenses.

kelvinang said:
... and definitely they are not after the professional SLR users market.

What you fail to understand is that the term SLR doesn't just apply to 35mm bodies, it is a type of camera and applies to *any* film format that uses a single lens reflex design.

Given the correct context of the term SLR it is pure hogwash to say Pentax aren't after the professional market as they are a major player in professional medium format SLR systems.

Hi all!

I have a pentax mz-6 and i totally love it. one downside is that its hard to find pentax lenses in the shops if you want to get new ones. the cathay photo guy says that the third-party lens makers have limited production of KAF-mount lenses. so pentax owners need to look at the second-hand shops and maybe even look at k-mount manual lenses as alternatives. but as a camera, the mz-6 is a joy to use. i'm just waiting for a nice dslr from pentax which won't set me back by more than $2000. :)

.. Pentax new DSLR is coming soon... heard similar spec like 300D or D70... ;)

Ian said:
What you fail to understand is that the term SLR doesn't just apply to 35mm bodies, it is a type of camera and applies to *any* film format that uses a single lens reflex design.

Given the correct context of the term SLR it is pure hogwash to say Pentax aren't after the professional market as they are a major player in professional medium format SLR systems.

Whoops! Yes, I meant to say "professional 35mm SLRs". Most definitely Pentax has their stakes in the 645 format and 67 format SLRs.

Spyer2 said:
.. Pentax new DSLR is coming soon... heard similar spec like 300D or D70... ;)

... and if one believe the rumours, there will be another model that will up the *ist D in terms of specs. But rumours being rumours... I'll believe it when it gets shipped. Remember what happened to the MZ-D? The prototype was available but it was never in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.