Is Pelican 1510 the largest case with wheels that fit airlines overhead compartments?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Also just to check for SIA, these cases even if meet carry on criteria is there a chance they would be considered as "large" luggage and need to be check in?

Last edited:
so heavy. of course if meet the carry on criteria u have to check in.

the luggage alone is already 6+kg

eleveninth said:
so heavy. of course if meet the carry on criteria u have to check in.

the luggage alone is already 6+kg

Plus the case is so distinctive the counter staff one look sure know over the carryon weight limit. I had to empty out my 1510 case to get on my flight...

It meets international carry on size standards.

It does not meet weight standard. BUT even with other photo roller bags, they also do not meet the weight standard after loading up with gear.

If it looks nondescript, it won't attract trouble.

If it attracted attention but it looks light and small, it also won't attract trouble. If you are a big sized guy, it will look small beside you. If you are small boy size, its going to look huge. Think "Lobster bigger than small girl" Strange Seafood restaurant advertisement years ago.

Also probably a good idea to remove those Pelican words stickers.

The only plus point is that if they force you to check it in, you at least knows its a hard case and your gear won't be crushed when they throw other bags on it. But if they throw it, it might still be ok if you pack in a way that gear does not jerk around inside.

It meets international carry on size standards.

It does not meet weight standard. BUT even with other photo roller bags, they also do not meet the weight standard after loading up with gear.

If it looks nondescript, it won't attract trouble.

If it attracted attention but it looks light and small, it also won't attract trouble. If you are a big sized guy, it will look small beside you. If you are small boy size, its going to look huge. Think "Lobster bigger than small girl" Strange Seafood restaurant advertisement years ago.

Also probably a good idea to remove those Pelican words stickers.

The only plus point is that if they force you to check it in, you at least knows its a hard case and your gear won't be crushed when they throw other bags on it. But if they throw it, it might still be ok if you pack in a way that gear does not jerk around inside.

dun check in if using dividers. lol

sponge inserts pls. but u should be pro enough to know.

Sponge insert cannot put a lot of gear. If you are traveling you will have clothes with you so squeeze in another T shirt or towel to make it snuggier, or socks around your lenses!

Just brought mine to Jakarta and came back, no check in and surely more than 10kg.

Can anybody tell me where is a good place in Singapore to buy a Pelican 1510 case. Has anybody tried using it as a carry-on flying on a budget airline? Thanks

Can anybody tell me where is a good place in Singapore to buy a Pelican 1510 case. Has anybody tried using it as a carry-on flying on a budget airline? Thanks

Marvid International Pte Ltd is the exclusive distributor for Pelican Products.

I was looking at getting either the 1510 or the ThinkTank Airport Commuter but chose the latter.

While the 1510 was nice and rugged, have had another pelican for 20 years to transport my firearms when away shooting, they do attract attention.

A friend whom goes offshore alot with sensitive electronics, uses a 1510 and has had trouble on some airlines especially smaller planes A319/320 Boeing 737 etc getting it into the overhead lockers. Some planes slightly vary in dimensions. So hes always had to check it in. Empty its 6kg so you are on the limit.

The ThinkTank, I find very versatile, will fit into any overhead locker, AirAsia, Lion Air, plus all the other major Airlines, in the 3 years I have this bag, have had no problems at checkin, never been asked to have it weighted, normally with all my camera gear plus laptop, its over 10KG's but fits in the overhead lockers.

Cheers ....

Thanks for your comments Deyeno,
The last thing you want is to attract attention to your luggage. I prefer something that doesn't say "rob me". Cheers

Thanks for your comments Deyeno,
The last thing you want is to attract attention to your luggage. I prefer something that doesn't say "rob me". Cheers

I don't agree that the 1510 says "rob me" since its black, butt ugly.
If you are using a Rimowa on the other hand...;p

When someone is desperate, it doesn't matter if you're wearing giordanos or True Religion Jeans.

They'll still rob you

I use the HPRC 2550W. It is less army like.

For commercial and less attention... on flights do think of Think Tank Airport International.

The dividers with lens cases worked as enough protection for check in

Honestly I never let my camera in the luggage better handcarry with small camera bag due to worry

:)
index.jpg

The dividers with lens cases worked as enough protection for check in

Risky.

They throw your box and it lands with a Phomm!

Pelican box is of course ok, but the gear inside takes a nasty jerk if the cushioning inside not enough.

So far I never have any problem with a fully loaded Crumpler Brazillion bag. It is usually packed with 2 DSLR bodies, 1 medium format film body with 1 lens, 2 DSLR zoom lenses, 1 DSLR prime lens and a laptop. BUT.... it is freaking heavy to carry it around!!!

Therefore I am seriously considering the Thinktank international... looks like a small handcarry baggage.

Pelican case always reads "heavy" and "valuable" no matter how beat up it is. lol else why you want to pack your stuff in a Pelican?

SIA only allows 7KG maximum for handcarry for all their flights.

The thing about roller bags is that they all weigh in around 4+ kg empty. So if you are really pressed for the weight limit, you are also pressed against a wall.