Is OZ$1000 enough for 1 month in OZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirowen

Mar 30, 2006
Tampines
www.friendster.com
Hi all,

I need some help here. 23rd April i will be leaving to australia sydney with my camp for parachute jump. We going there for 1 month, I need to know whether S$1200 is enough for the food expenses cuz they wont be providing 3 meal? I am intending to buy nikon d50 and sb-600 before going there, so i need advice urgently. ;)

hmmms. should be enough but the food there ain't cheap alright. but if just going there and not getting any expensive stuffs for friend/family, 1k should be enough. most important gotta enjoy the trip mah. lodging provided right?

$1000 - $1200 should be enough, but don't expect top quality.

If you're going to Sydney, get yourself a book called "Cheap Eats" (It might cover all of Aus, but not sure) highlights places where you can get good food at reasonable prices.

yes they provide us to stay at some motel. haha. what i am most worried now is whether it's enough.. my enjoyment of the trip is to take picture with my D50 and Fz5 there.. haha!

cyber_m0nkey said:
$1000 - $1200 should be enough, but don't expect top quality.

If you're going to Sydney, get yourself a book called "Cheap Eats" (It might cover all of Aus, but not sure) highlights places where you can get good food at reasonable prices.

No need top quality! :D I even planning to buy bread and ham or cup noodles there to eat,.. haha.. can save how much is how much..

if that's the case, i think 1k would be more than enough already. get some cheap gifts and souvenirs. you can't like spend about 40 bucks a day on food right? i don't think it's that expensive. enjoy your time there and eat grass when you wanna take photos =D

Actually it's about A$33 a day - that's not a lot for 3 meals a day in Australia, especially in the east capital cities, but it certainly can be done... Unfortunately there's no such thing as a hawker centre where the food is both good and cheap.

Koelsch said:
if that's the case, i think 1k would be more than enough already. get some cheap gifts and souvenirs. you can't like spend about 40 bucks a day on food right? i don't think it's that expensive. enjoy your time there and eat grass when you wanna take photos =D

haha! I am just hoping they wont go expensive places in the weekend! :bsmilie:

but pubs and everything? entertainment? that... hmmm might not be able to cover your costs already. lol. just bring a lil' more just in case? if not borrow from some of your friends or something when nessasary.

hirowen said:
Hi all,

I need some help here. 23rd April i will be leaving to australia sydney with my camp for parachute jump. We going there for 1 month, I need to know whether S$1200 is enough for the food expenses cuz they wont be providing 3 meal? I am intending to buy nikon d50 and sb-600 before going there, so i need advice urgently. ;)

Should be alright. Many illegal immigrants live on less for food per month. Food court prices are approx. $7-9 per meal. More elsewhere. Kebabs are not too expensive and can be filling.

Bring your own water for meals and you'll save a bit. Soft drink prices are ludicrous in Oz. Talk about price gouging......

depends on where you are... actually 1k is enough.
For a normal meal it will cost you around $8-$10.

Think should be enough, unless you want to splurge yourself with caviar and champagne lor.

Hope this help,

Famous Vietnamese noodles or porkchop broken rice is around Aud$7.50 per dish. While Chinese tea is normally free.

McDonald Value meal is under Aud$8

Large Pizza is generally under Aud$10

Fish&Chips is about Aud$6-7

Large Roast Chicken from supermarket is Abt Aud$9

Best is cooked the meals urself......Coz porterhouse steaks from the butcher is under Aud$10 per kg.
Korean noodles(Kimchi Ramen) in a box of 20 packet generally sold for Aud$14.
A can of 400g Tuna is abt Aud$3-4
A loaf of bread is abt Aud$2.50
Even a bottle of cheap wine cost mostly around Aud$8-10

Worst come to worst, find where the nearest soup kitchen is located lor.

Have Fun!:bsmilie:

hirowen said:
haha! I am just hoping they wont go expensive places in the weekend! :bsmilie:
Well, they go is they go what.

Why concern urself so much abt where your peers are going? :dunno: If they are going to King Cross St to buy poultry, are u going there as well? :dunno:

Get ur own programme and walk loh. Its quite an interesting place. Why follow ur peers?

hirowen said:
No need top quality! :D I even planning to buy bread and ham or cup noodles there to eat,.. haha.. can save how much is how much..

If you are not aware, Aust does not allow to bring in food items of all kinds into the country.
So dont bother bring any.

Here's some guidelines:

Breakfast: A$5 (you can get small coffee and rasin toast with butter)
Lunch: A$10 (get yourself a basic meal from the foodcourt. Depending on how much you eat, you can get a can drink within that budget)
Dinner:A$15 (easily get a meal from Macs, Ramen, Congee from Chinatown)

Well, the stuff in Sydney is not cheap (if you cannot cook in your motel). Of you are a small eater, that's no problem. I used to buy a pizza for $12 and keep half of it for my lunch the next day.

But the above budget does not include train rides or ferry rides. The cheapest transport is A$2.20.

Enjoy your trip

remember transport aint cheap too

It's enough for meals.

i suggest if you have credit cards, bring along just in case. Do not even think of exchanging sgd to oz in oz. Coz they will charge you handling fee plus the rates there sucks big time.
I suggest if you can, bring alittle bit more. say 1.5k to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.