IS On + Long Exposure On A Stable Tripod = Camera Shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9V-Orion Images

Apr 1, 2009
Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
I'm still a greenhorn in the field of digital photography, and would like to seek some clarifications from the lao jiaos in clubsnap.

I realised that if i would to take a long exposure on a tripod, with the IS enabled, there will be a certain degree of camera shake in the image. Is there any reason that the lens should moved on a stable platform? If not, should i send the lens in for servicing? Please advice.

Images taken at a shuttle speed of 30 seconds (ISO-100), with mirror lock-up enabled, and no PP (other than WB adjustment).

3424444088_1491b300d3_b.jpg

Shuttle Speed: 30 Seconds (ISO-100).
IS: Disabled, Mirror Lock-Up: Enabled.

3424447952_b4b21392cf_b.jpg

Shuttle Speed: 30 Seconds (ISO-100).
IS: Enabled, Mirror Lock-Up: Enabled.​

The IS is to correct any handshake movement you might make by moving internally in the counter direction.

If you mount on tripod, turn it off as the IS will move around trying to counter nothing.

feedback. just like when u hold a mic near a speaker, than u get those squick noise and echoing stuff.

The IS is to correct any handshake movement you might make by moving internally in the counter direction.

If you mount on tripod, turn it off as the IS will move around trying to counter nothing.
Hmm, i see. Is there any other situations where it is also advisable to turn off the IS? Once again, thanks for helping.

On a side note, it's "shutter". A "shuttle" is owned by NASA and goes into space. :p

Hmm, i see. Is there any other situations where it is also advisable to turn off the IS? Once again, thanks for helping.

depending on the lens, some IS has 2 mode, one for handheld, one for mounted on mono-pod and off when on tripod.

Beside the IS which should be off, how about the trigger? Was it timer, shutter string, or remote control?

Beside the IS which should be off, how about the trigger? Was it timer, shutter string, or remote control?
I was using a trigger + 2 second timer, FYI. You guys have been really helpful in answering mine enquiries even after midnight, really appreciate it.

hi ts

when using MLU, as in ur 1st photo, use it with cable release or wireless remote, else, at min. use with timer. not point u use MLU but still use ur finger to press the shutter button.

That's what i did, using both a remote shutter trigger and the timer. ;)

In that case it is quite clear that the issue comes from the IS, as you have already taken care of the rest of the variables with MLU, remote trigger and timer. :)

there are lots of info on night photography in the Night Photography Sub-Forum

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

also, this thread may give u some suggestion on using tripod

Basic guidelines on selection of tripod and tripod head
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
Thanks for the links, you must have spent quite some time in writing those guides. Will read it ASAP the next morning, after i zzz. :)

the IS function works in a way by it detects slight shake and movement and realigns. so when your camera is suddenly stable on a tripod, it somewhat 'confuses' the IS function and works against your favour by re-aligning something which is already aligned. hope you get what i mean.

one other scenario where you shud off IS would be panning shots. some lenses with IS 1 and 2 could let you switch for panning shots, but for those with just IS on and off, you should off it for panning shots as similarly the IS function could work against your favour again, thinking that your panning movement is a shake movement.

the IS function works in a way by it detects slight shake and movement and realigns. so when your camera is suddenly stable on a tripod, it somewhat 'confuses' the IS function and works against your favour by re-aligning something which is already aligned. hope you get what i mean.

one other scenario where you shud off IS would be panning shots. some lenses with IS 1 and 2 could let you switch for panning shots, but for those with just IS on and off, you should off it for panning shots as similarly the IS function could work against your favour again, thinking that your panning movement is a shake movement.
Got it, thanks. :D

On a side note, it's "shutter". A "shuttle" is owned by NASA and goes into space. :p
Spellcheck dosen't correct words that are spelled correctly. :think:

Thanks for your quick reply.

Is there any reason for this?

yes, the camera is compensating for something that isn't there, i.e. shake.

you are effectively telling it "hey, there will be shake", but there isn't, so it is happily trying to compensate for shake that isn't there.

just think of this way, if the bus driver of the bus you are in shouts, "we are going to take a hard turn right now", and you compensate by throwing yourself to the left, you will effectively fall down if he doesn't turn. simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.