Is Olympus E500 good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffy

Apr 16, 2006
Singapore, Ang Mo Kio
www.clifftan.com
Hello, I have been using my Olympus C750UZ for 3 years, it is my first camera, and still running strong.

I feel now, the time is ripe for me to get my first DSLR. My question is, should I get the E500? actually, I am already biased towards Oly, its just that I need this re-assurance before I get it.

Some pis, to show my C750UZ's performance
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=190506

I like Olympus:)

Any comments or things that you want to tell me?(would appreciate that)

First I just want to say: very nice pictures you show us, except the blurry one, that's just not my taste.

About E-500, yes it is a very good camera. I can not say if it is better than the one you have, since this is my first digital camera. But, if money was not a limiting factor, I would not have bought one. If I would have had unlimited budget, I would have bought a N**on. Dirty words are not allowed here, so I have to set ** into the name to fool the censorship. :bsmilie: Sorry all Olympians. I don't know which one, but not the D50 since I don't think that is better than the E-500. Sorry all Nikonians. :dunno: Why would I rather have a good N**on than an Olympus? It is a dream I had ever since F3 came out some times during the late 1970's. But, since I ever since the early 1980's have had several Olympus SLRs, even now I decided to go for Oly. The only reason actually is the fact that I have several good lenses and other OM stuff I want to reuse. If I had to replace everything that would just be too expensive, so money was again a limiting factor. But if I had not had all that stuff, well that would have been a different story.

Anyway, if I were you, and would absolutly not have had a burning need or desire to get a new camera today, and would absolutly wanted an Olympus, I would wait for the successor of E-1. I would not buy E-1 unless it is practically given away. Whatever people say, I belive E-500 is better. E-1 is just too old in the digital world, so that is not a surprise. I don't think E-330 is better either, whatever E-330 owners say. I was not prepared to pay extra for Live view, I don't think it's worth it. However, I did a lot of reading before I went for the E-500 about one month ago. And I can tell you a secret, I did not regret my decision yet. Maybe one day before I get too old, I'll be getting my dream camera, until then I am very happy with the one I have.

E-500 performance is good, espcially taking multiple shoot in jpeg (unlimited until CF card is full)....if you don't mind, made in China and cheap platic body (my personal opinion),then E-500 is good budget camera.....

I'm E-500 user too..

whats your budget?? do you shoot in the rain to need the waterproof body? Else, i believe the E-500 is good enough. We wont even know when the E-3 (or E-XX) bodys are coming out. Personally i have the E-500, and i loved it. Was tempted to get the E-330, but my budget stopped me.. haha.. saving up for better ZD lens!

Bleh :sticktong , I still love my E-300, as finicky as it can be sometimes.

At times it surprises me, at times awes me, at times frustrates me so bad that I wished I've gotten a C**** instead (read: high ISO noise).

But every time I retrospect, and look at all those photos that I've taken previously, and watched how I've improved with each shot taken (but mostly looking at the photos the pros take with the E-300 and wondering WHY THE H*** CAN'T I TAKE PHOTOS LIKE THEM), I realise that the E-300 still can be pushed a long way more, despite it's limitations.

I just need to be a better photographer.

Well, the point that I'm trying to make is that the E-500 is supposed to be an improvement over the E-300.

So yeah, the E-500 is good, just look at Hacker's old shots taken with it.

Sometimes I wish I could take photojournalistic shots as well as plastic too. :thumbsup:

Cliffy said:
Hello, I have been using my Olympus C750UZ for 3 years, it is my first camera, and still running strong.
...Any comments or things that you want to tell me?(would appreciate that)

I too have (and still use) a camedia model (C3040). My personal experience with OLY cameras:
- easy transition cause the menu layout is similar for Camedia and E system
- colours are brilliant
- no more optical limitations faced by P&S: different lens for different applications
- more features and functions so it can take awhile to master

While I can quote my photography teacher : "What makes the photographer is not the gear, its the photographer himself", having good glass and body (camera, that is), does make a slight difference to the end product.

If I am given a Leica R9 and a set of lenses of my choice, will that automatically/immediately make me a legendary photographer? Yes... a legendary JOKE that is... my pictures will all turn out crap because suddenly I am trying to control a different beast and to learn a new system that will take months, even years, pending on how often I shoot.

Point is, Olympus' entry level camera system gives you a very decent set up to start off... when your skills surpasses what the E-300/330/500 and Standard Grade lenses can offer, you then move up to the High and then Super High Grades. You then go through the pleasure and joy of mastering and bringing out the best from the new glass, and you will be wowing people with your shots.

I am far from reaching mastery, very far. But at least I have a set up that I know will help me get there. Learning how the various optical lenses distorts perspective and how to control and manipulate light is the key to better pictures... I remember a saying from my school days... "Don't blame the (loose) trunks if you can't swim well".

Any camera system these days can start you off in photography, but plan ahead if you think you want to go all the way and be a lifelong photographer. Canon and Nikon makes ok lenses, but if you want to go art photography and continue with the legacy of film-like finishes, personally I think only ZD+Oly can deliver the results and feel.

OK, C+N users, you can kick my royal behind now... :bsmilie:

u2nofear said:
...if you don't mind, made in China and cheap platic body ...
I do actually mind. If I knew that the cam was made in China before I paid for it, I would probably waited for a made in Japan real Oly E-1++. Maybe that would have been a mistake, but thats just the way I am. The reason for my 'No thanks' would be political and prejudice on the quality. I never bougth something Made in China which I was happy with. Always bad quality (sorry Chinese guys). It's like the term 'Made in Japan' we used on every item that got broke in the early and mid 70's regardless if it was made in Japan or not. That was a stamp of bad quality on everything, specially cars, except cameras. Than the products of Japan got better and better, up until now, when I think they make the best cars and almost everything else. I really hope that this camera is a breakthrough in Chinese quality, and from now on I will say 'I want to buy Chinese cameras in the future.'

And Cliffy, don't worry about the plastic, it does not feel like one. And certainly does not feel cheap. Also it is actually a metal camera with a plastic skin that feels really nice to hold. If I knew how to paste a pic from my HD I would show it to you. Now I have to wait until Gallery is up. The funny thing about my pics (I found them on the Internet somewhere) is the fact that exif says some of them are taken by a Nikon D100 camera. I wonder if Nikon was out on a recognesence tour and they wanted to see the guts of E-500. Camera info is removed from some of the pics.

Oly is second to None in camera construct at the price point that you paid. So don't
worry about that :)

There is also the E330 which you might want to be considered.

Also, as a previous owner of C-750, an experience to share is you must get use to
changing lens. The C-750 is such a compact machine that deliver 10x optical zoom
(unless you get the 18-180mm ZD lens).

The E-x will cost a lot more than E330. So unless you are prepared for that. Otherwise
to start off, best to get one of the E300/E500/E330/E1 body and put extra money on
good lens instead.

Cliffy said:
Why does my prosumer cam seem better? (metal body, made in Japan) lol.

So should I wait for a successor of E-1, or get the E-500?

Cliffy said:
If I can get the E1 body that is for sale for 850(1000 if include the lens), I will, if not, I will get the E500:)

Hi pls clear your PM..
just wanna let you know i have the E-1 body left only
However i only have a 14-45mm lens . Pls pm me.:D

1000 for a E-1 Body + 14-45lens is a good buy!

I prefer this......1200 for E-500 body + 14-45lens

u2nofear said:
E-500 better :thumbsup: ,as E1 don't have built in flash (someone can correct me ?); External flash FL36 about S$300 . See below E1 Spec:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/specification/220/show.html
An other important point. Even if the flash is not comparable with any external flash, if you don't have one, you'll have to buy one eventually. And actually the built in flash is very good. I don't even know if the red-eye reduction system is working in my camera. Never needed to test since I never caught a 'red-eye'.

Status
Not open for further replies.