Is Nudity Photography a taboo subject here?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2004
112
0
0
#1
Was wondering why there isn't any showcase of nude photography. Don't get me wrong, not referring to pornography. Nude photography can be very well capture from the art point of view.
 

OzOn3

New Member
Jul 12, 2003
1,050
0
0
32
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
#2
I guess because CS do have some under-aged members.. so it wouldn't really be appropriate to expose them to nudity..
 

Sep 15, 2003
1,590
0
0
Singapore
chester.sg
#3
IceCoolBeer said:
Was wondering why there isn't any showcase of nude photography. Don't get me wrong, not referring to pornography. Nude photography can be very well capture from the art point of view.
Lack of models I believe is the reason. But if you are willing to pay, I believe the models will be willing. Would you pay a lot for such sessions?
 

Apr 10, 2004
112
0
0
#4
OzOn3 said:
I guess because CS do have some under-aged members.. so it wouldn't really be appropriate to expose them to nudity..
Sad. It will be good if that particular forum has an age requirement.
 

Apr 10, 2004
112
0
0
#5
pianodancer said:
Lack of models I believe is the reason. But if you are willing to pay, I believe the models will be willing. Would you pay a lot for such sessions?
There are backpackers in Singapore who will do it for a reasonable price.
 

zaren

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
10,961
28
48
#6
nude photography can be found in several photography books in the bookshops here.

but, there's a fine line betwixt art and the obscene.
 

agape01

Senior Member
Feb 13, 2003
2,574
0
36
Somewhere Out There
Visit site
#8
However, to my small and limited knowledge the end result will be that most of the shots taken will end up to be of the obscene nature rather than an artistic one.

The reason for me to say this is because in order to get artistic shots, we need to have the knowlege to know the type of shots that are considered to be artistic. In the end, most of the shots will turn out to be of the rather obscene nature even if guidelines are set in place.
 

zaren

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
10,961
28
48
#9
agape01 said:
However, to my small and limited knowledge the end result will be that most of the shots taken will end up to be of the obscene nature rather than an artistic one.

The reason for me to say this is because in order to get artistic shots, we need to have the knowlege to know the type of shots that are considered to be artistic. In the end, most of the shots will turn out to be of the rather obscene nature even if guidelines are set in place.
waitaminute.... the "A" in R(A) is "Artistic". so... going by those standards, a lot of flesh can be shown here (with a suitable R(A) warning of course)!
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#10
OzOn3 said:
I guess because CS do have some under-aged members.. so it wouldn't really be appropriate to expose them to nudity..
From the official viewpoint, OzOn3 got it right. There are under-aged members present in the forum, and administratively there's no practical way for the admins/mods to screen members for age and gender (this being the age of the Internet, it's easy to fake age and other details).

There are other considerations as well. Like it or not, this is still Singapore and ClubSNAP is still hosted by a local ISP, which means we're bound by local regulations. If nude photography is allowed, very soon the admins will be paid a visit by SBA/MDA. There's also the problem of copyright and leeching - all you need is one leech to gain access to any such photos and soon you'll have nude photos plastered all over sggirls.com and the like.

For all intents and purposes, if you're really interested in nude photography as an artform, it should be pursued in private and not in public. Meaning you should engage professional models in private and the results should be shared in private as well among selected people and critics. I can safely say that even if we allow such photos to be posted publicly, you will get 90% OT replies and posts.
 

Dec 14, 2003
808
0
0
37
Toa Payoh
Visit site
#11
Only CS is RESTRICTED to nude photos. That is also because we are Singapore.

The only thing u see is bikinis and cover up of private areas. So bored......YAWNS.......which is obviously getting a little boring.

Unless the ADMINs are ready to accept it? (Which is highly unlikely)

I do not think CS is the only website which has underage members. There is no way to restricted young adults to viewing the content (Unless parents put a stop). If not in CS, it's available on other websites.

It's also up to the Singapore Goverment to bend some rules and regulations and be more flexible. Anyway I know the Admin people will have some comments on this as this is a very very touchy and sensitive subject.

No flaming. Just my humble comments....Thanks!
 

OzOn3

New Member
Jul 12, 2003
1,050
0
0
32
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
#12
Godzilla Invades said:
Only CS is RESTRICTED to nude photos. That is also because we are Singapore.

The only thing u see is bikinis and cover up of private areas. So bored......YAWNS.......which is obviously getting a little boring.

Unless the ADMINs are ready to accept it? (Which is highly unlikely)

I do not think CS is the only website which has underage members. There is no way to restricted young adults to viewing the content (Unless parents put a stop). If not in CS, it's available on other websites.

It's also up to the Singapore Goverment to bend some rules and regulations and be more flexible. Anyway I know the Admin people will have some comments on this as this is a very very touchy and sensitive subject.

No flaming. Just my humble comments....Thanks!
Dude, young members are kids below 18, or whatever you deem fit. They are in no way young adults. They probably do not have the ample experience and maturity to think for themselves, and to concretely seperate right from wrong. Though this does not apply to all, i believe it is correct for majority.

btw, covering up of private parts boring meh?? what's your intention in this forum?? ahhahaah! just kidding :D
 

mr_jason

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,081
0
0
Singapore
www.pbase.com
#13
Godzilla Invades said:
The only thing u see is bikinis and cover up of private areas. So bored......YAWNS.......which is obviously getting a little boring.
Why boring? The shots arn't good enough? Or you just want to see more skin?

As said before, the point of nude photography is not for exposing private parts to the world ala porno style, but to capture artistic aspect of the human body, such as it's curves.

Not meant as a flame, just want to clarify what you meant by the quoted statement.
 

Canonised

Senior Member
Aug 27, 2003
2,998
4
0
#14
Godzilla Invades said:
Only CS is RESTRICTED to nude photos. That is also because we are Singapore.

The only thing u see is bikinis and cover up of private areas. So bored......YAWNS.......which is obviously getting a little boring.

Unless the ADMINs are ready to accept it? (Which is highly unlikely)

I do not think CS is the only website which has underage members. There is no way to restricted young adults to viewing the content (Unless parents put a stop). If not in CS, it's available on other websites.

It's also up to the Singapore Goverment to bend some rules and regulations and be more flexible. Anyway I know the Admin people will have some comments on this as this is a very very touchy and sensitive subject.

No flaming. Just my humble comments....Thanks!
For one, we are still SINGAPORE .... you cant change this fact. Many things we dont like, but most of us can live with it. There are nude drawing studio and the ppl in the trade know where they are. Once it's opened to public, u get all kind of unwanted attention. So it's still best and correct that CS object to any nude postings. I support. Nude photog shld n must still be PRIVATE!
Maybe ICECOOLBEAR or GODZILLA can start a "private club" for matured photog (for above 21 yo) and then we can have private studio shoots and can then share privately the critiques. Anything involved with nudity is touchy, legal complications, social implications, as well as financial costs. Count me in if you decide to form this informal group... ;-)
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#15
Hi all,

Just to reiterate that Larry has correctly summarised our official stance on posting of nude images, although to nitpick a bit, "nude" as a definition would entail an image showing a person completely exposed.

Artistic nudes have been posted before and there are no restrictions on such images. "Artistic" nudes are defined as where a model is partially clothed or unclothed, but areas of .. erm .. controversy are covered up. Now obviously, there is a very very subjective differentiation on what invidividuals may deem "artistic" or "obscene" thus its very difficult to pre-define whether an image will be allowed or not.

For members who are interested in doing nude photography, you may want to start your own SIG within ClubSNAP and get willing models to pose for you. The only caveat is that the images cannot be posted inside ClubSNAP unless
a) we can create a above-18 category sub-forum; or
b) SBA/MDA, censorship rules in Singapore change.
 

Amfibius

Deregistered
Jan 26, 2004
509
0
0
46
Perth
#16
OzOn3 said:
They probably do not have the ample experience and maturity to think for themselves, and to concretely seperate right from wrong. Though this does not apply to all, i believe it is correct for majority.
Seems to apply to many "grown up" Singaporeans too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well it's YOUR country and YOUR forum. Hey, I might think 95% of you are excessively prudish and sometimes intolerably conservative, but I suppose it's my choice to want to come and visit this forum. Your attitudes towards nudity are your own to fix.

To agape01, SO WHAT if the photos are "obscene"? You can criticize them like you would a normal photo! An "artistic" shot of a nude model with a cabbage on her head and carrots coming out her ears might appeal to me less than an "obscene" shot of another model showing full frontal nudity.

Since when has exposing a little bit of breast harmed anybody? In fact, I think that this culture of secrecy with the guise of "protecting" our children is misguided. Children should be taught that our bodies are beautiful, and that we come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. In fact, if I have one criticism of most nude photographers is that they only want to shoot pictures of slim women or muscly men (well, mostly slim women). Nude images of fat women are usually joke images. Hardly anybody shoots normal men and women in the nude. Even fewer people want to photograph elderly men and women in the nude.

Nude photography is the same as any other type of photography. There are cliche shots and there are excellent shots, just like 3/4 of the pictures posted here are cliched. I am not here to pass judgement about whether pictures are "obscene" or not, nor do I have time for the monkeys who do. The picture is either well-taken or poorly taken, it either fulfils its objective or it does not.

In any case, it's your board. My comments won't change the way you think, but hopefully some of you will open your minds a little.
 

Apr 10, 2004
112
0
0
#17
Amfibius said:
Seems to apply to many "grown up" Singaporeans too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well it's YOUR country and YOUR forum. Hey, I might think 95% of you are excessively prudish and sometimes intolerably conservative, but I suppose it's my choice to want to come and visit this forum. Your attitudes towards nudity are your own to fix.

To agape01, SO WHAT if the photos are "obscene"? You can criticize them like you would a normal photo! An "artistic" shot of a nude model with a cabbage on her head and carrots coming out her ears might appeal to me less than an "obscene" shot of another model showing full frontal nudity.

Since when has exposing a little bit of breast harmed anybody? In fact, I think that this culture of secrecy with the guise of "protecting" our children is misguided. Children should be taught that our bodies are beautiful, and that we come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. In fact, if I have one criticism of most nude photographers is that they only want to shoot pictures of slim women or muscly men (well, mostly slim women). Nude images of fat women are usually joke images. Hardly anybody shoots normal men and women in the nude. Even fewer people want to photograph elderly men and women in the nude.

Nude photography is the same as any other type of photography. There are cliche shots and there are excellent shots, just like 3/4 of the pictures posted here are cliched. I am not here to pass judgement about whether pictures are "obscene" or not, nor do I have time for the monkeys who do. The picture is either well-taken or poorly taken, it either fulfils its objective or it does not.

In any case, it's your board. My comments won't change the way you think, but hopefully some of you will open your minds a little.
:thumbsup:
 

drebel

New Member
Mar 7, 2004
182
0
0
#18
OzOn3 said:
Dude, young members are kids below 18, or whatever you deem fit. They are in no way young adults. They probably do not have the ample experience and maturity to think for themselves, and to concretely seperate right from wrong. Though this does not apply to all, i believe it is correct for majority.

btw, covering up of private parts boring meh?? what's your intention in this forum?? ahhahaah! just kidding :D
mmm.. sorry cant help but OT a bit... why are they called 'private parts' but with 'public hairs'?? strange english, no wonder mine still so lousy.. ;p
 

J

Jason H0

Guest
#19
u cannot show the flash of your private parts but the hair growing out on it u can show to others ...that's why it called pub(l)ic hair.

drebel said:
mmm.. sorry cant help but OT a bit... why are they called 'private parts' but with 'public hairs'?? strange english, no wonder mine still so lousy.. ;p
 

VampTreSS

New Member
Feb 18, 2004
722
0
0
www.v1da.com
#20
Amfibius said:
Seems to apply to many "grown up" Singaporeans too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well it's YOUR country and YOUR forum. Hey, I might think 95% of you are excessively prudish and sometimes intolerably conservative, but I suppose it's my choice to want to come and visit this forum. Your attitudes towards nudity are your own to fix.

To agape01, SO WHAT if the photos are "obscene"? You can criticize them like you would a normal photo! An "artistic" shot of a nude model with a cabbage on her head and carrots coming out her ears might appeal to me less than an "obscene" shot of another model showing full frontal nudity.

Since when has exposing a little bit of breast harmed anybody? In fact, I think that this culture of secrecy with the guise of "protecting" our children is misguided. Children should be taught that our bodies are beautiful, and that we come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. In fact, if I have one criticism of most nude photographers is that they only want to shoot pictures of slim women or muscly men (well, mostly slim women). Nude images of fat women are usually joke images. Hardly anybody shoots normal men and women in the nude. Even fewer people want to photograph elderly men and women in the nude.

Nude photography is the same as any other type of photography. There are cliche shots and there are excellent shots, just like 3/4 of the pictures posted here are cliched. I am not here to pass judgement about whether pictures are "obscene" or not, nor do I have time for the monkeys who do. The picture is either well-taken or poorly taken, it either fulfils its objective or it does not.

In any case, it's your board. My comments won't change the way you think, but hopefully some of you will open your minds a little.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

p/s: Anyone who's interested to do photography of such genre, do msg me. We could organise our own shoots..
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom