is nikon suitable for beginner?

superkiev

Dec 20, 2013
jurong
Helo senior.
I've been looking up at google for nikon for beginners. And found out it is not suitable at all due to lack of exposure simulation.
But I really like D5300. So I hope to get some advice regarding this exposure simulation.
I find it hard for beginner to learn the exposure without the simulation.
Thank you.

I've been using a D5100 as my entry to the DSLR world. Imo you don't need exposure simulation since with the metering system is quite accurate and anyway with digital cameras it doesn't cost you that much to retake your shot. If you really need guides for every step of shooting, go for the D3300. I didn't go for the entry model because I already understood the basics such as how ISO, aperture, shutter speed affect shooting and what minimum shutter speed to use in relation to the focal length.

By exposure simulation, do you mean Live View?

There is also exposure simulation in every DSLR. It is called image review. After you take the picture, can press play and see.

If you are going to stay on the LCD all the time and depend on the LCD to make exposure decisions, how are you going to learn and improve?

All dslr are suitable for beginner, but is beginner ready to learn? As long as u learn, you can overcome anything.

As for exposure simulation, dunno where you get this term. If you have such a concern, u can use mirrorless cameras.

Last edited:
Thank u all for the reply. By exposure simulation I mean a preview what ur picture will look like after you shoot.
Well anyway I will take the advice and practice not to depend on the lcd too much

Thank u all for the reply. By exposure simulation I mean a preview what ur picture will look like after you shoot.
Well anyway I will take the advice and practice not to depend on the lcd too much

What's the difference in taking a shot first and review the picture? you can delete if you do not like and taking an additional shot do not cost you anything unlike the film days.

Oh btw my wife jumped into dslr without prior learning. So I guess u should be fine.

Wondering how other photographers learn about photography in the early days?
in the days of film, no auto focus, no auto exposure, only have one aperture ring, one film speed dial, one shutter speed dial and one shutter release button. one film forward level. with no other fancy dials and features?

okie okie that is a little bit too far, anyway, my point is; you don't need so many bells and whistles on the cameras, that is just a marketing hype, they make you think you need all these to take good photos.
and given too much assistance will make just the photographers too lazy to use their brain.

just like baby about to able to learn to stand, if you give them a baby walker, babies will only take longer time to learn to walk, and slowing down developing other motor skills too.

forget about the all these features on the cameras, you have the brain, use your own. you will learn photography faster.

Thank u for all the encouragement. Off to go to the camera shop now :) meanwhile I will just use auto and see what is the setting from the camera first and learn from there.

Congrats on taking the first step. Wish you all the best.

Pls update which camera u bought.

Even without the exposure simulation, u can use the highlights warning feature in nikon that will show u if there are any blown highlights (via blinking area)

Nikon D5300 is more than competent enough to learn with and produce great photos, for beginners and more advanced photographers alike.
However, Exposure Simulation can be a useful feature for beginners, as it tells you whether WYSIWYG on your live view LCD.
So if that feature is critical for you, get a Canon DSLR instead.

I'm all for technology to help to make photo taking easier for photographers.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
Thank u for all the encouragement. Off to go to the camera shop now :) meanwhile I will just use auto and see what is the setting from the camera first and learn from there.

Wow. I think only the large electronics chain stores are open. Have fun!

Why not a mirrorless like the Nex cameras? The Nex 6 was great for me when I first started out a year ago. Covered me nicely every step of the way. Great camera.

I've been looking up at google for nikon for beginners. And found out it is not suitable at all due to lack of exposure simulation.

You mean beginners need to simulate their exposure?

Beginners just want to take the photo and be done with it. Who cares about simulation.

With digital, you can take as many photos as your memory card or camera battery life allow. You can also delete any photo you do not like. There is no need for simulation. Simulation is an unnecessary additional step.

Hi just share with you my experienced when i started out, a professional advise me that if i were to pick this as a hobby it is better not to enter into entry level camera because as you learn more and practise more you soon will outgrow the camera and want to "upgrade". These in turn incurred more cost. D5300 is relatively new price range therefore you may wish to look around a good second hand model basically D7xxx and D5xxx are quite good in current context. Good luck!

actually can buy new set of d7000 from technogadget. That would be the most value for money camera that can pass off as a semi pro.

Congrats on taking the first step. Wish you all the best.

Pls update which camera u bought.

Thanks..bought d5300 finally. Too bad red color is out of stock sighh :(

Can't stop admiring the capability of dslr. I think I have missed out a lot when I am still using a point and shoot camera :p

Still trying to figure out how to read the meter.

Does anyone know how to see the exposure setting from the picture we have taken?