Is Nikon ND4 filter enough?

weimng

May 21, 2007
Singapore, North
Does anyone know whether the ND4 filter (2 stops) is enough for me to shoot those kind of image with a person standing still while the human traffic flows around him on a busy road?

Sorry for the inapt description, I don't know how else to describe the shot.

Timing will be morning, location is orchard road.

Waiting for my 10-stop filter to arrive from B&H, unfortunately I need to take this shot before the filter arrives, only the ND4 filter is available for rental.

Help help! Any solutions? Do you think ND4 is enough?

Does anyone know whether the ND4 filter (2 stops) is enough for me to shoot those kind of image with a person standing still while the human traffic flows around him on a busy road?

Sorry for the inapt description, I don't know how else to describe the shot.

Timing will be morning, location is orchard road.

Waiting for my 10-stop filter to arrive from B&H, unfortunately I need to take this shot before the filter arrives, only the ND4 filter is available for rental.

Help help! Any solutions? Do you think ND4 is enough?

Really depends on the lighting condition at the time you are shooting.

Just know that ND will increase your shutter speed by 4 times (when at the same ISO and aperture).

So if without the filter, the camera is shooting at 1/100s, with the filter, the shutter speed will become 1/25s.

for that kind of shots you need at least one second of shutter speed, if you are shooting at Sunny day situation (subject with distinct shadow under the sunlight), a 10 stop ND filter may just barely enough.

if you only have ND4 filter available, your best bid is shooting in INDOOR.

Last edited:
for that kind of shots you need at least one second of shutter speed, if you are shooting at Sunny day situation (subject with distinct shadow under the sunlight), a 10 stop ND filter may just barely enough.

if you only have ND4 filter available, your best bid is shooting in INDOOR.

Catchlights, thks for the experience sharing, seems like i have to buy another filter just for this, sigh... $$ :cry:

Really depends on the lighting condition at the time you are shooting.

Just know that ND will increase your shutter speed by 4 times (when at the same ISO and aperture).

So if without the filter, the camera is shooting at 1/100s, with the filter, the shutter speed will become 1/25s.

Thks for the education :D

Catchlights, thks for the experience sharing, seems like i have to buy another filter just for this, sigh... $$ :cry:

Thks for the education :D

I meant to say ND4 will increase your shutter speed by 4 times.
ND8 will increase it by 8 times.
Sorry if I caused you confusion.

From my experience shooting landscape, I get about 1s of shutter speed on a typical sunny/semi-cloudy day at around 6pm (ie. sun beginning to set) with a CPL and an ND8 stacked, using f22 and iso100.

If there are only ND4s for rental, you can consider renting 2 and stacking, although vignetting may arise.

Something like this?

5046163223_84d66b6f86.jpg

I shot this without any ND filters. You can do the shot by adjusting ISO to the least, then the shutter speed to the required blur that you want of the moving people, and let the cam choose the aperture (or go fully manual and you determine the aperture as well).

Something like this?

I shot this without any ND filters. You can do the shot by adjusting ISO to the least, then the shutter speed to the required blur that you want of the moving people, and let the cam choose the aperture (or go fully manual and you determine the aperture as well).

The people here are probably walking fast enough, and (it's indoors right?) there is probably less avaliable light, so the shutter speed was slow enough to make any filters unnecessary.

So yup, TS: choose your location wisely and you might not even need an ND4.

From my experience shooting landscape, I get about 1s of shutter speed on a typical sunny/semi-cloudy day at around 6pm (ie. sun beginning to set) with a CPL and an ND8 stacked, using f22 and iso100.

If there are only ND4s for rental, you can consider renting 2 and stacking, although vignetting may arise.

Shooting at F22 is not really recommended due to small aperture diffraction. In bright sunny locations, your best bet will be a 10 stop ND filter. Slightly darker conditions, a 6 stop ND would be nice.

Shooting at F22 is not really recommended due to small aperture diffraction. In bright sunny locations, your best bet will be a 10 stop ND filter. Slightly darker conditions, a 6 stop ND would be nice.

True. It is not advisable to shoot at f22. I usually don't. I'm just saying that with CPL+ND8+f22, that is the shutter speed I get in those lighting conditions. Hope I didn't give the wrong idea.

I usually use that as a reference so I know how long more I have to wait to get a double digit exposure time for my +0EV shot (usually I do exposure blend). Since I can only get 5 stops (CPL+ND8), I have to rely on reduced ambient light to get a longer shutter speed when shooting.

Last edited:
Hi yes, this is the shot i want, anyway thanks to all who replied! I went for the 10 stop eventually. Problem solved. Thks thks!

Something like this?