Is Nikon D7000 still an "oiler"?

flyeminent

Dec 24, 2010
Hello fellow members,
I recently decide to upgrade my Nikon D5000 to D7000. I almost made my decision until I read some posts in thread "D7000 user...fall in!!!". Those posts are mainly about the suspicious "Oil spots" on D7000 sensor. Then I start searching for related information on Google and did found that lots of people talked about this. Some D7000 owners start to call the camera an "oiler" and shared their stories of getting D7000 repaired and refund. Here is a typical flickr thread which you might be interested.
So anyone who recently bought D7000 (body or kit set) still spot this crucial problem and how do you guys deal with it?
I am wondering how Nikon is going to handle this, bury the "rumor" or publish it soon?:think:

Hello fellow members,
I recently decide to upgrade my Nikon D5000 to D7000. I almost made my decision until I read some posts in thread "D7000 user...fall in!!!". Those posts are mainly about the suspicious "Oil spots" on D7000 sensor. Then I start searching for related information on Google and did found that lots of people talked about this. Some D7000 owners start to call the camera an "oiler" and shared their stories of getting D7000 repaired and refund. Here is a typical flickr thread which you might be interested.
So anyone who recently bought D7000 (body or kit set) still spot this crucial problem and how do you guys deal with it?
I am wondering how Nikon is going to handle this, bury the "rumor" or publish it soon?:think:

I am one happy user of the D7000 for the last 6 months... so far, no such issue.

this thread makes me think again if i still want to upgrade my D90 to D7000.... haha......

this thread makes me think again if i still want to upgrade my D90 to D7000.... haha......
i am not bothered by this... I just directly upgrade from D90 to D7000.
hahaha....

Im not bother by it also, haha

So far no problem also

Great, you are a firm and royal D7000 owner. May I know when did you buy it? And have you ever shot at large f number (22) for long exposure?
i am not bothered by this... I just directly upgrade from D90 to D7000.
hahaha....

Actually my bro had this camera for more than six month now... so did one of my colleagues... never hear any complains from them too. I think just get the D7000 and have fun with it. There is a small percentage of faulty sets out there... it was the same for all brands of cameras, don't worry too much.

Check for the problem at higher than f11.
Many may not be shooting at f16 or higher to spot the problem.
I probably use f16 and higher only a couple of times a year.
It may also be totally irrelevant if you don't even shoot at f16 and higher, which can be the case.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you. Only when I decide to shoot landscape and I normally shoot at f/14 (it is a personal preferences). I heard that the oil spots are only probably visible at f/22 or even higher.
Btw, do you also use D7000 as well?
Check for the problem at higher than f11.
Many may not be shooting at f16 or higher to spot the problem.
I probably use f16 and higher only a couple of times a year.
It may also be totally irrelevant if you don't even shoot at f16 and higher, which can be the case.

IIRC, this was only a problem with a very small percentage of the first batch. And it is something a trip to NSC would have fixed permanently.

Happy user since april 21st 2011, no problems occurred too. i always check for dust around f16-22 and no such problems.

Just use bah, no point worrying abt something that hasn't come up yet.

I hope so.
By the way, do you know how exactly I should do to spot this potential sensor problem when buying the camera? Manual Focus on a white paper and shoot at large f number with long shutter speed? Really appreciate your helps!;)
IIRC, this was only a problem with a very small percentage of the first batch. And it is something a trip to NSC would have fixed permanently.

Glad to see that you are a happy D7000 user. Maybe it is just 1-2% chance to have such a fault sensor.
Happy user since april 21st 2011, no problems occurred too. i always check for dust around f16-22 and no such problems.

Just use bah, no point worrying abt something that hasn't come up yet.

flyeminent said:
I hope so.
By the way, do you know how exactly I should do to spot this potential sensor problem when buying the camera? Manual Focus on a white paper and shoot at large f number with long shutter speed? Really appreciate your helps!;)

You do the same thing that is done to check spots. Close the aperture to the smallest, overexpose by 1 Ev or so, and set the lens to MF mode. Take a shot, zoom in on the picture and sweep the picture till u cover the entire image. Dust spots have weird random shapes. Oil spots are mostly round and much bigger.

But the percentage of this is now so low, after such a long production run. If you get one with the problem, time to buy 4d or toto.

Last edited:
Great hints for beginners to check the new camera upon purchase. Actually my friend did the similar thing for me when I bought D5000. But I was so eager to shoot with it and don't query what and why he was doing that. Thank you very much!
By the way, how to differentiate whether the spots are caused by dust/oil in the lens or on the sensor? Because I am going to attach my 18-200mm lens on D7000 to check spots if I buy it. Is it wise or kind of stupid to do so?
You do the same thing that is done to check spots. Close the aperture to the smallest, overexpose by 1 Ev or so, and set the lens to MF mode. Take a shot, zoom in on the picture and sweep the picture till u cover the entire image. Dust spots have weird random shapes. Oil spots are mostly round and much bigger.

But the percentage of this is now so low, after such a long production run. If you get one with the problem, time to buy 4d or toto.

I got it last December and no issue so far.

Glad to hear that!
The people start to talk about this issue since June 2011. You have a quick hand to get the first batch of D7000!
I got it last December and no issue so far.

flyeminent said:
Great hints for beginners to check the new camera upon purchase. Actually my friend did the similar thing for me when I bought D5000. But I was so eager to shoot with it and don't query what and why he was doing that. Thank you very much!
By the way, how to differentiate whether the spots are caused by dust/oil in the lens or on the sensor? Because I am going to attach my 18-200mm lens on D7000 to check spots if I buy it. Is it wise or kind of stupid to do so?

Like I said, oil spots are bigger and round and are mostly near the bottom of the image (top of the sensor). Dust are more random in shape if bigger. As for oil, the more you shoot, the more you see. So after 5-10 shots you should see quite a number. So seriously speaking you will not be able to see much if at all when buying. Only after you use it for around 100 plus actuations. If you see it later, just bring it into NSC.