Is Nikon D70 a good camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do call me along, would love to touch a D70 and get to know all the masters in DSLRtography. :D

so this lens tat come wif the D70 kit good enuff for macro & landscape ?

is there a cap for that lens ? .....

r there any webby that discuss about different lense for this D70 ?

thanks in advance :)

I am not sure about landscapes but I am really having problems with the limited angles for interior shoots.

Guess that is why Nikkor is doing so well, have to buy more to get more,

Just wondering is it possible to get another 3rd party lens. been quoted Af DX12-24mm lens at $1640 by MS Colour ??? :dunno:

When I bought the D70 kit it did come with the lens cap.

Hua Luo Han said:

Idworks said:
I am not sure about landscapes but I am really having problems with the limited angles for interior shoots.

Guess that is why Nikkor is doing so well, have to buy more to get more,

Just wondering is it possible to get another 3rd party lens. been quoted Af DX12-24mm lens at $1640 by MS Colour ??? :dunno:

Sigma 12-24 @ around 1100 w/GST. :thumbsup: Not that much different from the Nikkor...you can even use it full-frame.

Have learned the pro and cons between the Sigma and Nikon 12-24. Sigma is full frame but the Nikor 12-24 is sharper and more constrasty in images, and not to mention it is faster too.

But alas, given the choice between the two, how would one choose?

crazypaladin said:
Have learned the pro and cons between the Sigma and Nikon 12-24. Sigma is full frame but the Nikor 12-24 is sharper and more constrasty in images, and not to mention it is faster too.

But alas, given the choice between the two, how would one choose?

If i am not wrong and from the samples on the net, there is noticeably less CA from the Sigma. BD from the Sigma is first rate too, it most probably has less than the kit AF-S 18-70. But a lot of people who has seen my photos mix this "distortion" from perspective up with BD, so do take note esp if the photos are tilted up (whether or not the effect is intended).

Sharpness i think is not too far off, just some careful USM will do the trick (it responds nicely), will probably be pushing the limit at S8R sizes. Contrast just use PS or custom curves lor. :) You don't need fast speeds for Ultra WA, unless it's indoor....just have to use stronger and more careful flashing (off-cam is recommended due to super WA). Not sure about colour. Try a 2nd hand Sigma first lor, if you are scared of 3rd party depre. There is no fight in prices. :)

:cheers:
Looks like you have got your camera... :cool:

nikor_d said:
Nope I'm a newbie like you :). I don't really know about taking pictures. :(
Thanks for your support my friend :)

Hua Luo Han said:

What do you mean by good enough?

Do you mean can it focus close enough for macro shots? Well, I did take a few flowers and they turn out OK.

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3188560&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3334030&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

For landscape, the zoom range of 18-70 is equivalent to 27mm-105mm for 135 format, so IMHO it is an excellent all round lens. Yes, you can do nice landscapes with it:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3334031&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3334029&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

I think the lens is good enough. The question is whether the photographer is good enough. :D

Hua Luo Han said:
i newbie mah :embrass: :D

just got my d70 yesterday at ms-colour ;p

Good choice! :thumbsup:

Hope you also bought the 18-70 DX lens. For what it can do, this lens is really good value.

Welcome to the club!

Ansel said:
Good choice! :thumbsup:

Hope you also bought the 18-70 DX lens. For what it can do, this lens is really good value.

Welcome to the club!

bought the kit wif tat lens and now reading & understanding the manual :sweat: manual so thick :sweat:

:bsmilie:

tried a few shots, CF card so fast "READY" :eek: was using the CP5700 last time, every shot takes time to be written into CF card

tried a few shots, CF card so fast "READY" :eek: was using the CP5700 last time, every shot takes time to be written into CF card[/QUOTE]

Hey, so, it's like between a genuine Ferrari and a toy car, in terms of speed and performance, as fast cars and sweet racequeens are still fresh in our vision.

Hua Luo Han said:
bought the kit wif tat lens and now reading & understanding the manual :sweat: manual so thick :sweat:

tried a few shots, CF card so fast "READY" :eek: was using the CP5700 last time, every shot takes time to be written into CF card

Reading manual is a good start. No, it is not that thick lah, just right. I normally read it when I am doing my "business" in the toilet. :embrass:

Yes, the D70 is fast. You are spoilt already. You won't be able to use the other "slow" cameras anymore.

Try shooting with the RAW mode, and use either the Pict Project software or Nikon view to process the pix. You will soon discover the power of the D70 and what RAW can do.

Hua Luo Han said:

Reading and understanding the manual is one thing, trying out practically is another whole new experience. Once you get the hang of it, you will start having the "Buy this buy that" symptoms ;p

Welcome to the D70 club.

All cameras are good. There is no such thing as good or bad cameras.
The most important thing is "THE MAN BEHIND THE CAMERA"!!! :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.