Is Nikon D70 a good camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
our friend is rite. no lite grey for af-s 17~35. others lenses with black / grey colours include

af-s 28~70
af-s 70~200
af-s 300 f2.8
af-s 400
af-s 500
af-s 600

af-s 300 f4 comes in sliver / black

espn said:
Canon has a D30, D60 also...which starts with a D.

Silver is a stupid colour for a 1.8K DSLR, I'm sure everybody agrees. No choice, the company (hint: starts with C) want to segregate the models by using asthetic issues.

White is no choice, cannot forget the lens got flourite inside, if it's black, the heat will ... oh well ... go figure... anyway N brand also has gray coloured lenses... AF-S 17-35, AF-S 28-70, AF-S 80-200, AF-S 500/4.

And don't forget, you're inside a Nikon forum, so either you bash the C brand with us, or you stay out. Shoo!

:blah:

None? I thot I remembered there was? :think: Maybe I was mistaken... :embrass:

JAG said:
Re: a 4 year warranty like the offer best denki has... Is it really necessary to get an extended warranty for the d7 camera? do they break down often enough or give problems?? And would the warrenty be good coverage or would one end up paying for spare parts and everything?
Can any 'regulars' comment that whether extended warranty is recommended or not?

The D70 is a fine camera if you can get the black paint version.

contacted said:
Can any 'regulars' comment that whether extended warranty is recommended or not?

It's hard to say with mass produced electronics if and when it will fail. For example - I have a Canon Powershot G1 that has served me well for over 3.5 years so far with no problems, my sister's Canon Powershot G2 failed after 13 months, ie just after the warranty expired.

So sometimes you can get a great item, sometimes you can get a lemon - it's up to you whether you consider paying a little extra for the peace of mind of extended warranty or to not worry about.

dun mind if i chip-in in the already crowded discussion. my advice to u may not be nice but bear with me.

i think choosing a DSLR is a very personal choice becos it involves personal taste. the specs/features/reviews can't tell u the whole story. juz like hi-fi, by looking at the specs, reading review rating it 5stars, wudn't guarantee a good product nor suit ur taste. u have to go & try it to see if u really like it.

my experience recently was: i went down to best denki at taka. they have a few booths there & i tried D70, 300D & E1.

i found the 300D to be the easiest to use. E1 is next. D70 is a nightmare. me having no prior DSLR experience, was looking for digital alternative for my film sys. even tho i own a nikon sys, i wudn't say their D70 is fantastic.

my first impression was, its plasticky, it feels cheap despite all reviews saying that its very solid, difficult to use & lastly, the image i took using flash is under expose even tho i've adjusted the ev to +0.7. on the contrary, the same shot i took with the same compensation w/o flash, turns out brilliant.

my advice to u is: go down to the shop & try out the 2 big names. try to figure out how to use it on ur own w/o anyone's help. if u can start to figure out in less then 2mins, i think thats ur sys. while u r there, try to figure out how can u magnify the image on the D70 LCD display. (hint: need to press certain a button & turn a certain knob) it took me 15mins to find out, the sales guy dun even know & told me D70 can only go 2x magnification.

dun worry about brands, they r both very good. can't go wrong with either of them. i m tempted to buy the C but i have my reservations for my N.

Nope I'm a newbie like you :). I don't really know about taking pictures. :(
Thanks for your support my friend :)
neokn said:
Hi nikor_d,

Have you had experience with digital SLR?
Me is a newbie and D70 is my first digital SLR.
What I can say so far is that it has met most of my expectations...
fast startups, almost no shutter delays...

Guess if you are a newbie like me, D70 will be a good entry digital SLR.
My 2 cents.... :embrass:
Hope they are useful...

I agree on the personal taste part.... Funny... I went to test 300D out... First feel... Plasticky!!!!! :p I perfer the feel of D70... And i can figure the buttons out... I guess to each its own... So test it out, and then get the one that you like...

Got my first try on the D70, shooting a few pics at ISO400 and a long 300mm lens, equivalent to 450mm.
Pic came out sharp and clean, contrasty, colour spot on. Shot hand held with support from a post box.
One thing that distracts me is the shutter/mirror recoil - much louder and vibrates a great deal compared with my F80. I understand that those pro bodies like F100 and F5 shutters are much louder and shake more. Puzzling as I thought that the smaller sensor needs a smaller mirror and smaller shutter, so mirror recoil problem should be much less. Theoretically, the mirror area should be half, and the pentaprism should be about 30% the weight compared with the full-frame.

However, my pictures didn't suffer from any blur at 1/500s shutter speed. So far, any one got any problem with mirror recoil, or am I just too sensitive to this? Or should I wait for the replacement of the D100, which should arrive by the end of the year, as the D100 would be 3 years old already. The D2H came 3 years after its predecessor. ?????

I doubt the D200 will be launched ahead of the D2X. D2X is schedule for this year. The 'D200' is still unknown.

smallaperture said:
One thing that distracts me is the shutter/mirror recoil - much louder and vibrates a great deal compared with my F80. I understand that those pro bodies like F100 and F5 shutters are much louder and shake more. Puzzling as I thought that the smaller sensor needs a smaller mirror and smaller shutter, so mirror recoil problem should be much less. Theoretically, the mirror area should be half, and the pentaprism should be about 30% the weight compared with the full-frame.

Correction.. the F5 has a mirror balancer.. that actually dampens the slap of the recoil, and also aids in faster mirror return to achieve it 8fps and AF accuracy. Therefore the F5 would have a lot less mirror vibration. Not much has gone into resigning the mirrors.. or the shutter mechs.. However do not that the D70 features an electronic shutter.. where the CCD is switch on and off to achieve the 1/8000 speed..

espn said:
I doubt the D200 will be launched ahead of the D2X. D2X is schedule for this year. The 'D200' is still unknown.

Well the D70 was unknown until it was announced..

However, my pictures didn't suffer from any blur at 1/500s shutter speed. So far, any one got any problem with mirror recoil, or am I just too sensitive to this? Or should I wait for the replacement of the D100, which should arrive by the end of the year, as the D100 would be 3 years old already. The D2H came 3 years after its predecessor. ?????[/QUOTE]

Someone told me that the mirror in the D70, and for that matter the D100 is a Full-FRAME mirror, and the pentaprism is also a full-frame thing. Why? Nikon redesigned the electronics, but the entire mirror/shutter etc was taken wholesale from the F80! Nikon didn't even border to reduce the mirror or pentaprism accordingly. Maybe, it takes a lot of redesigning to do that. Maybe, the difference in material cost is immaterial, so is the manufacturing cost.

Now that so many D70 have been sold, and no one complains of mirror recoil in fast shutter or slow shutter speed nor problem with blurred images, I guess this should not be an issue. How I wished the shutter of this D70 babe FEELs exactly the same as that of the F80! Or the replacement of the D100, rumoured to be called the D200 or D120 or D180, with even better technology like the new sensor technology of the D2H, bigger 2.5 inch LCD panel, optional battery grip with shutter button, MLU, and other goodies and most of all sold at less than $2500. I will be the first on to grab it.

HI lads anybody like to joint me for outing? Not sure where to go any suggestion ??? :)
nikor_d said:
:) Hi lads

Is Nikon D70 a good camera. :)

join the NC and meet all the sith lords ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.