is Nikon D5000 the best entry DSLR?

leobox1

Jun 15, 2008
hi all,

i want to step into the DSLR world.

Budget is 1000 - 1200.

This can bag me a D5000.

I heard it is good because it is just a lesser model of the D90.

D3000 i was told is not so good in low light..

am i correct? is there a better model or brand? appreciate the kind replies...

hello.

The Pentax K-x is worth considering. Do check it out.

Define "best", than we might be able to provide an answer. So far: it's one option that fits into your budget. Other options are still there. Have you considered Pentax, Sony etc?

Just choose the one you like best. At entry level, most dSLRs have the same performance.

hi all.. sorry for my noobish-ness..

best as in best imaging capabilities.. low light / sunlight

i'm not really good in cameras, however, i do think that a Canon 550D will be a good choice.

good enough to satisfy most of photographers, so i'm assuming its good enough to satisfy you. even the 550D is good enough.

There is no best camera. Every camera has its own pros and cons. But D5000 is definitely good enough.

any idea where can i buy it at a good price? a reputable shop... i see the promo now is 1199

hi all,

Budget is 1000 - 1200.

This can bag me a D5000.

It could be, but you have to elaborate on what you've researched on. In many ways, I consider it so (thus I am using one) but it may not be for another person.

hi all,

Budget is 1000 - 1200.

This can bag me a D5000.

Pentax K-x won the best entry-level TIPA award for 2010.....

Last edited:
hi all,

Budget is 1000 - 1200.

This can bag me a D5000.

D5000 pales very much in comparison to Pentax K-x (TIPA 2010 best entry level dslr). But well if you want Nikon. D5000 is still very usable.

Pentax Kx.
$790 with the 18-55mm kit lens.
The difference to what you listed :

1. Built in Shake Reduction
2. Better high ISO noise reduction
3. On camera lens drive motor
4. Total compatibility to legacy lenses.

It offers great value.

Sunlight is easy for all cameras. Nothing to be worried about.
All entry level DSLR are better than most PnS cameras when it comes to low light. I suspect you refer to image noise. For pixel peeping reviews please have a look at www.dpreview.com, do a side by side comparison. But please keep in mind that differences appearing in the lab, expressed in funny numbers and differences of certain values might not be visible to you in daily shooting. Don't overrate.

If you are referring to low light, High ISO performance for the least money, nothing comes close to the Pentax K-x now.

If that's your definition of "BEST" then answer is no. Like any other brands and features, they have their strong points and weak points. We try to squeeze out the strong features and make do with the weak features. Photography is about being creative with what you got.

The strong point for this camera you have in mind is the ease of use. Everything else is quite normal. So if you already have a rough idea how to press the button to take a picture, you can then consider others like Canon, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Ollympus etc.

K-x is definitely worth it! would have gotten k-7 over D90 if not for budget constraint haha!

hi all thanks for the replies..

seems like many bros suggest K-x over D5000.

have to admit i am a noob.. the reason why i so onto D5000 also because it is like a D90.. and i know D90 is good..

on the contrary i never heard b4 pentax so i tot it is a DUH brand..

D90 is ok... honestky betrween D90 and 550D, I would go for 550D. For that kind of budget, you might want to consider 500D as well.

I think you should go for other models rather than D5000. Once you start owning a dslr, you might want to get more lenses. and the problem with D5000 is it doesn't have a built in motor like the D90. At the end, you'd end up paying much more for the lens.