is Nikon D5000 the best entry DSLR?

Sony (and minolta) also has white pro grade lenses

Yeah I know but still I don't see many Sonys around...I see more red rings than anything else these days...People are getting richer, getting L glass before even knowing how to hold DSLR :bsmilie:

ive been using nikon for quite a while but i believe the right camera to get now has to be the canon 550D. the d5000 is pretty old and not that cheap for what you're getting. remember that you also dont have the AF pin, which means you can only use autofocus with the AF-S and AF-I lenses (and the latter are all super telephotos).

personally, i feel that the best two brands in the market are canon and nikon since they have the widest range of lenses, flashes and cameras.

nonetheless, go to a camera shop and try out the different DSLRs. get a feel of each and then choose what you like

just my two cents worth ( :

Answering your question: HELL YYEESSSS!! :sweatsm:

But then again, im a bit biased :lovegrin:

Cheers!

I'm newbie here too.
Looking at the posts and recommendations by the experts, seems like too many choices to select.
Very confusing lei which one will be the BEST of all.

I'm newbie here too.
Looking at the posts and recommendations by the experts, seems like too many choices to select.

Leica M9:thumbsup:

I'm newbie here too.

Ok above post joking only:bsmilie:

There is NO best camera.Go down to stores and get a hands-on and do your own research.Here's the current entry-level DSLRs:

Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
Nikon D3000/5000/90
Sony A230/330/380/500/550
Pentax K-x
Oly E-450

Do visit review sites like DPreview too:)

Frankly speaking, with an addition $200 to $300, you could get a better camera which you can also learn from entry level point of view...

I'm newbie here too.

Ask yourself these few question before buying.
  1. Are you planning to shoot as hobby or professionally
  2. What is your Budget?
  3. Have you survey all the brands in the market?
  4. Have you gone down to take a look and have a feel of it? If have which one are you more confortable with?
  5. Don't monkey see monkey do.. Think first..

I'm newbie here too.

If you're looking at the cameras priced roughly the same...e.g. entry level dslrs. Then actually all of them are about the same in terms of performance. Some will come with special features/conditions. You just have to see which fits your requirements.

hi all,

i want to step into the DSLR world.

Budget is 1000 - 1200.

This can bag me a D5000.

I heard it is good because it is just a lesser model of the D90.

D3000 i was told is not so good in low light..

am i correct? is there a better model or brand? appreciate the kind replies...

Don't know what you have been hearing or reading... but your impressions are all totally skewed... :nono:

Ok above post joking only:bsmilie:

There is NO best camera.Go down to stores and get a hands-on and do your own research.Here's the current entry-level DSLRs:

Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
Nikon D3000/5000/90
Sony A230/330/380/500/550
Pentax K-x
Oly E-450

Do visit review sites like DPreview too:)

Actually, the A390 is in shops already. MUCH better grip than the A380. :)

Me thinks the best entry level camera is the Nikon D700. :devil:

learn from the best. get D3s.
or a hasselblad. :angel:

anw juz joking. from my experience, it really doesnt matter. the camera are more or less the same. maybe the convienence of accessing the function differ. the main component such as aperture control, shutter speed, iso, etc are available in every slr. just c which one u lyk n how deep ur wallet is.

my 2 cents:lovegrin:

hi,

i am new as well and this is what i found out through a lot of reading and some field photography.
it doesn't really matter very much once you have chosen a DSLR, most will give you the desired results. Lightings and compostion are skills which cannot be taught but rather, they can be inspired by others.
What I felt, is the most important is actually the lens you are going to buy next.
Are you going to be able to use the same lenses which you have acquire now for your next upgrade of body? Probably, a full frame camera?
I am using 550D at the moment and have acquired 100mm f/2.8 IS, tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and my latest EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM which I am still playing with..and I must say, for a newbie like me, the pictures I have taken, I myself are happy with the results.
All you need bro, is a lot of patience and passion, with trial and error, you will be able to produce the desired pictures you want.
Meanwhile, welcome to CS and have fun snapping away.
Cheers

hi all thanks for the replies..

seems like many bros suggest K-x over D5000.

have to admit i am a noob.. the reason why i so onto D5000 also because it is like a D90.. and i know D90 is good..

on the contrary i never heard b4 pentax so i tot it is a DUH brand..

Pentax is one of the oldest camera makers - Almost 20 million lenses in circulation, and all new Pentax bodies are back-compatible with any Pentax lens ever made.

I think you need a phase one or hasselblad or the new leica s2. If you want a small camera like the mirrorless cameras that's the rage now, i recommend the leica m9:thumbsup:;p

Of course, i was just joking. 550D is the one to get these days though. Until nikon releases something to whack it

Last edited:
btw bros.. the dpreview said K-x no AF indication in viewfinder?? is this going to be a hazzle... does it mean when taking photos, i must look at live view, select points and go back to view finder?

i know i sound like a nag... but dpreview said d5000 : 75%, k-x 73%..

sorry la.. i really not rich so every bit counts... hope u all dont blow up !!!

Hey Bro...don't know about the D5000 but I got a cheap D60 last year at discounted price and the photos looks ok for family and general portraits. :)

Pentax is one of the oldest camera makers - Almost 20 million lenses in circulation, and all new Pentax bodies are back-compatible with any Pentax lens ever made.

It is really not that old. But one of the more established ones. Started in the 1950s. Pretty much the major japanese camera manufacturers today started making consumer cameras in the 50s.

The oldest is still Kodak. First consumer camera sold is by Kodak in 1888.

Last edited:
It is really not that old. But one of the more established ones. Started in the 1950s. Pretty much the major japanese camera manufacturers today started making consumer cameras in the 50s.

The oldest is still Kodak. First consumer camera sold is by Kodak in 1888.

Unfortunately, kodak isn't making dslrs now.:( wonder why...:think: