Is Nikon D5000 good for newbie??

unicarbon

Jun 1, 2010
Hi all, i am into this new hobby in photography and very keen to get a nikon D5000 but need some advice is it a good model for newbie?

Pls advice me thanks alot.

hi,

Have you actually felt the camera in your hands?
Do you think you will fall deeper into this hobby?

If so, perhaps you could consider a higher end model like the D90?
Its good for beginners and doesn't really restrict you with its capabilities.
Price wise, they are roughly the same.

Cheers

Consider your budget, know the limitations of the D5000 (no buil-in AF motor), and choose wisely. Try out the cameras from Canon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax too. The D5000 is a very simple cam, but for the same money you can get more powerful options.

hi thanks for the advice....i have not really hands on the D90 and also not sure will i fall deeper into this hobby but will look out on the D90.

Consider your budget, know the limitations of the D5000 (no buil-in AF motor), and choose wisely. Try out the cameras from Canon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax too. The D5000 is a very simple cam, but for the same money you can get more powerful options.

maybe you can let me know for that kind of price which are the few models that have more powerful that i can choose.

thanks

definitely a good camera for novice. a D5000 have live view if i am not wrong.. definitely easier to use than a D90. if u have the money, get the d5000, after u maximised its uses and find u need more options and flexibility, get a d90 or D300s. anyway, heard from rumors that a d90 replacement is coming out in july.. A bad point about d5000, cannot autofocus using lenses that r not AF-S. but most new lenses from nikon now r AF-S.

maybe you can let me know for that kind of price which are the few models that have more powerful that i can choose.

thanks

All you need to do is some sneaker-research... Walk into the shops and look at the prices. Or look at the priceguide here on CS.

You would quickly learn that a D5000 kit is about 1150.
for the same money, you can get a Pentax K-X with a dual lens kit, or a Sony A500 (seriously good camera), etc.

Do consider how the camera feels in your hands too.
Some "powerful" cameras feel like $2.99 toys.
Since a camera is not something you buy, use and dispose of soon after, I'd advise putting more thought into forming a shortlist based on budget, features, etc, then try them out.

Thanks for all the advice...

^^

Peeves me too, but I just cave in, shoot raw and fiddle with WB post. I love Lightroom 2 for it's RAW processor, further edits in GIMP, cause I'm cheap.

A good starter combo would be:

D5k body + 17-50 f2.8 Tammy
D5k body + 18-55 VR Nikkor + a good tripod / flash
D5K body + 18-55 VR Nikkor + 35mm f1.8

Can view my flickr to see some of the shots taken by a D5k :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondocheesemonster/sets/72157623000515425/

It's all in your feel....bro

I don't see why not.

Hey TS, loving my D5k all the way:lovegrin:. Will be getting the 17-50 f2.8 in the near future. Flash after that (maybe). Just got my tripod earlier ;).

Cheers! :bsmilie:

a newbie wont be able to know whether good or not unless actual use for some time in the field.

my advice is spend some money on a rental service to try out the camera + lens for a few days.

If your budget is limited and you dont need the swivel lcd n video, can consider a used D80 instead and use the savings for lens/gear that could benefit the photography you do.

Last edited:
yes you should get it.

Truthfully, any camera is good for a newbie, even the high end D3s.

But it's a question of whether you can master the basics and apply it when taking the shots.

I nearly bought it, but because I didn't like the grip, ended up buying the Canon instead. So, it's a matter of ergonomics ... you have to like the camera in terms of grip and holding, as you'll be the one walking around with it in your grip.

Cheers!

Truthfully, any camera is good for a newbie, even the high end D3s.

But it's a question of whether you can master the basics and apply it when taking the shots.

I nearly bought it, but because I didn't like the grip, ended up buying the Canon instead. So, it's a matter of ergonomics ... you have to like the camera in terms of grip and holding, as you'll be the one walking around with it in your grip.

Cheers!

you didn't like the grip? :bigeyes:
so far most i've talked to that have considered the D5k are put off by the price and the lack of AF motor, but never the grip/ergonomics :angel: