Is my tamron 28-75 sharp? (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Hi people,

below are two shots taken from my s3pro 12meg resolution, with the tamron 28-75 lens at f2.8 and f.4 75mm.

f2.8
tf28.jpg

f4
tf4.jpg

The above pics is 100% crop of a 12meg file. If I shoot at 6meg, the lens look sharper :)

f2.8 at 70% (roughly 6meg cam)
tf28s.jpg

do you guys think the sharpness is acceptable? I can go MScolor to exchange for a better copy but I am not sure if I will get a better copy. Most Tamron lens are soft wide open right?

opinons wanted from users of this lens please :)

erm there are differing copies. its difficult to tell just by looking at trees. can u take people? or text? its a better judge that way.

my copy is really sharp at 28mm 2.8 but not as sharp 75mm 2.8. but its all still acceptable.

here are the text shots

28mm f2.8
ta28mmf28.jpg

75mm f2.8
ta75mmf28.jpg

the 28mm is definately sharper than 75mm. But it sharpends up nicely at f4 so I don't really want to go and change it. There CA is also less than my 50mm f1.4 prime.

eh bro...ur kinda shots with the text are mostly used to test front/back focusing. haha. :bsmilie: it wont give u a good picture of how good/bad sharpness actually is. if you really wanna use the text test...

stick newspaper on the wall...make sure its flat. take pics from ur cam on a tripod using mirror lockup and timer. take at 2.8,4,5.6 etc.

but from the limited view of the text, it looks as sharp as mine. and ur right it sharpens up very well at f/4. the weird thing about mine is that f/4 is better than f/5.6.....im puzzled :think:

if u want test shots, i did a test today with my copy (canon mount on 350D). went to botanics. u can find 4 pics there at my blog: shangjun.blogspot.com

take a look...ive posted the relevant exif info there also. then u can decide for urself if its sharper than yours or not.

i didn't post any f/2.8 shots. but the difference is very very very minimal.

can post a full picture with focus at a object?
I also own this tamron.
my 1st tamron is terrible, then I get another one which is working fantastic.

newmemberz said:
can post a full picture with focus at a object?
I also own this tamron.
my 1st tamron is terrible, then I get another one which is working fantastic.

this tamron was terrible initally. bought it off a CSer here. but after servicing (did a total lens overhaul according to tithes) it became fantastic

wind30 said:
Hi people,

below are two shots taken from my s3pro 12meg resolution, with the tamron 28-75 lens at f2.8 and f.4 75mm.

f2.8

f4

The above pics is 100% crop of a 12meg file. If I shoot at 6meg, the lens look sharper :)

f2.8 at 70% (roughly 6meg cam)

do you guys think the sharpness is acceptable? I can go MScolor to exchange for a better copy but I am not sure if I will get a better copy. Most Tamron lens are soft wide open right?

opinons wanted from users of this lens please :)
No, not sharp but I think all of them are like that. I used to have a Tokina which also looks like that when blown up.

not sharp at all. you might not focus well or handshake, or the lense has some problems. Tamron 28-75 is a sharp lense.

just to share my experience.
these are non processed pic with in-camera +2 sharpening.
dsc5303fb1.jpg

and a 100% at the extreme corner
dsc5303crd8.jpg

Also using this lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.