is my photo really not sharp enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionct

Jun 24, 2009
I receive some comments from my friends said that the photo i have taken with my newly bought 500D is not sharp, in fact, i cant tell if the photo appear to be sharp or soft.

some photo i have post here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543098
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543228

I am not sure if it is something to do with the camera or the lens or my skill ?
Is generally nikon photo more sharp than canon?
Can some one tell me how to improve the sharpness of the photo?

it is sharp enough to me(chinatown shots).

I didn't see any comments in either thread which stated your photos weren't sharp.
Personally I think the sharpness is acceptable.
In your Botanical Gardens series, it's unclear where you're focusing on. The eye gets drawn to an object which is not sharp (out of focus), and so it gives the feeling that the photo is not sharp. Same for portraits... if the eyes are not sharp (but the teeth are, for example), generally the photo doesn't look sharp.
Your friends are Nikon DSLR users?
Sharpness can usually be enhanced a little in post-processing, using the 'unsharp mask' feature.
PnS cameras usually apply some sharpening when processing internally.

from what i can see, sufficiently sharp

if your friends happen to be pixel peeper breed, ignore them. they will never be happy.

anyways, sharpness has more to do with lens, so i see a sharp photo, means the lens is ok. doesn't mean i looked at all.

there are other factors like handshake, movement in the elements in the picture themselves, the list of things that can make a picture "not sharp" seemingly can go on and on.

I receive some comments from my friends said that the photo i have taken with my newly bought 500D is not sharp, in fact, i cant tell if the photo appear to be sharp or soft.

some photo i have post here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543098
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543228

I am not sure if it is something to do with the camera or the lens or my skill ?
Is generally nikon photo more sharp than canon?
Can some one tell me how to improve the sharpness of the photo?

how sharp your friends expecting? :sweatsm:

are they talking about the purposedly blurred out parts of your photo and commenting on it? then u need to tell them this is photography bokeh effects :sweatsm:

I didn't see any comments in either thread which stated your photos weren't sharp.
In your Botanical Gardens series, it's unclear where you're focusing on. The eye gets drawn to an object which is not sharp (out of focus), and so it gives the feeling that the photo is not sharp. Same for portraits... if the eyes are not sharp (but the teeth are, for example), generally the photo doesn't look sharp.
Sharpness can usually be enhanced a little in post-processing, using the 'unsharp mask' feature.

some of them r nikon user, not all. but just some of them commented nikon photo could be sharper than canon, but i really don't know how to tell the sharpness.

so is sharpness soemthing to do with focusing? out of focus means soft?

nikon photo same as canon btw

but if you ask me, pentax photos are sharper.

please bbbbbbb pentax. thank you!

Hi TS,

I feel that your photos are sharp enough... Only 3 are not that sharp I feel... Chinatown #5, Botanical Garden #2 & #4... Maybe like someone mentioned, it might be due to the confusion of your focus point which makes the overall appear less sharp? Or maybe because you zoom in on the subjects (realise all the 3 unsharp ones are zoom images), any tiny camera shake is being amplified? Check what shutter speed you used on these 3 photos and let us know k...

Hi TS,

I feel that your photos are sharp enough... Only 3 are not that sharp I feel... Chinatown #5, Botanical Garden #2 & #4... Maybe like someone mentioned, it might be due to the confusion of your focus point which makes the overall appear less sharp? Or maybe because you zoom in on the subjects (realise all the 3 unsharp ones are zoom images), any tiny camera shake is being amplified? Check what shutter speed you used on these 3 photos and let us know k...

ok, mode and aperture and shutter speed
chinatown #5 - P F5.6 1/5s
botanical garden #2 - Macro F5.6 1/60s
batonical garden #4 - Av F6.3 1/20s

Ya, those photo are a bit blur cause by the hand shake and zoom in i think.

nikon photo same as canon btw

but if you ask me, pentax photos are sharper.

please bbbbbbb pentax. thank you!

haha ok pentaxian, think i should not started the brand war here ... all brand should produce nice camera, think lens is more critical :bsmilie:

ur pics are relatively sharp to me. maybe can ask ur frens to define sharp.

ok, mode and aperture and shutter speed
chinatown #5 - P F5.6 1/5s
botanical garden #2 - Macro F5.6 1/60s
batonical garden #4 - Av F6.3 1/20s

Ya, those photo are a bit blur cause by the hand shake and zoom in i think.

Ok yah.. Maybe its the slow shutter speed handheld plus zoom combo... Anyway, those landscape photos appear pretty sharp.. so dont worry about it...

Tell your friends you purposely make it unsharp for artistic effect... ;p

Just make sure your shutter speed is fast enough and you should be alright.
Apart from that, let your friends worry about sharpness while you go get great pics!

yr pics r generally sharp. you want a sharper edge, can adjust yr picture style as well or use USM.

Ok yah.. Maybe its the slow shutter speed handheld plus zoom combo... Anyway, those landscape photos appear pretty sharp.. so dont worry about it...

Tell your friends you purposely make it unsharp for artistic effect... ;p

ya ya i do really want to make it artistic, they don't know what is art la..haha

your photos are sharp. unless you tell us what you were trying to focus on specifically and did not achieve.

don't mind your friends too much especially when their basis is brand. the brand wars will never end...:confused:

ZerocoolAstra said:

powergoo said:
yr pics r generally sharp. you want a sharper edge, can adjust yr picture style as well or use USM.

orionct said:
sorry, what is USM ?

hahaha you haven't been reading thoroughly!

Sorry to interupt, seen your photos in FLICKR and generally it sharp.But notice that you did not follow the rule of thumb for your speed setting. I do not know are you using a tripot throughout. If so it's OK. Otherwise

#0950 (Flickr)
Focal length = 41mm
Speed = 1/250 (This is perfect, without IS/VR also not blurr):bsmilie:
F5.0
ISO=200

Focal length = 55mm
Speed = 1/30:bigeyes: (too slow and might cause blurr is handheld , suggest set to 1/60 min)
F5.6
ISO=3200

Focal length = 47mm
Speed = 1/15 :bigeyes: (too slow and might cause blurr is handheld , suggest set to 1/50 min)
F5.6
ISO=3200

Status
Not open for further replies.