Is my lenses spoilt?

Cyberduck

Dec 25, 2009
Hihi,

I took my K-x out to take a couple of shots after a long time of non-use (abt 2 months) with my FA50mm prime and the shots turned out like that..

bunny2.jpg

bunny1.jpg

Could it be a problem with my lenses or camera??

Hope the pros here can highlight the issue to me! D:

Any issue with photos taken with your 18-55mm kit lens?

Any issue with photos taken with your 18-55mm kit lens?

I just took the kit lens out after reading your comment and shot the same position with same lighting and the shots did not have the brown colouring.

Take a piece of white paper in bright lighting and see if the same thing happens with both lens.

Florescent lighting does this, it actually flickers at a very fast rate. Your shutter speed is higher than the flickering rate, so it will capture the scene only partially lit as it is flickering.

Set a lower shutter speed (<1/60) and try again to see if it helps.

Florescent lighting does this, it actually flickers at a very fast rate. Your shutter speed is higher than the flickering rate, so it will capture the scene only partially lit as it is flickering.

Set a lower shutter speed (<1/60) and try again to see if it helps.

Tried using both kit and the prime to snap the same area and I believe it is as you've said. The lighting I used was indeed a fluorescent lamp.

IMGP6168.jpg

Captured using the prime in AV mode and shutter speed was at 1/500

IMGP6167.jpg

Captured using the kit lenses in AV mode and shutter speed was 1/80 (not as significant)

Thanks everyone for the prompt and useful responses :)

The KX has a problem with some lighting, usually tungsten. Set your white balance to flourescent and see.

Cyberduck, that's typical flicker from a florescent tube. We can't really detect the flicker with our naked eyes but it is there. Solution is to shoot at a lower shutter speed. Nothing wrong with your camera.

tsammyc, there's plenty of variation when one mentions tungsten lighting, so don't automatically assume the camera didn't get it right. Plenty of light bulbs vary in terms of the color temperature they put out. In reality, very few incandescent lighting come close to the rated color temperature, which does affect the color output coming from the camera. In such situations, it is best to shoot in RAW and adjust the color during post processing.

Usually when the KX auto white balance is off, its pretty obvious, so I just go to manual white balance and try a few settings until it looks right. I'm a JPEG-only shooter.

tsammyc said:
Usually when the KX auto white balance is off, its pretty obvious, so I just go to manual white balance and try a few settings until it looks right. I'm a JPEG-only shooter.

Would you mind post some photos so our gurus would comment... I doubt that is due to warm tungsten...