Is my i-Case Drybox faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sodium99

Apr 7, 2005
I just bought a i-Case drybox for my lens yesterday but the hygrometer on the box still shows RH at 65% now. I left an extra hygrometer inside the box & it shows 55%.

Do drybox takes much longer to bring the RH down to 30-40+%?? I had read people with the same drybox getting 30% overnight.

The box hygrometer is definately not accurate but I'm more concern about the RH readings inside the box.

Should I bring it back for a 1-to-1 exchange? Oh yes, I did removed the plastic wrapper on the silica gel unit before using. Any advices?

what's the colour of the silica gel in the box? pink or dark blue?

its blue. brand new.

look at getting a pump handle one... i bought one at cathay a while back... pump out the air so the humidity becomes less it works pretty well and their fairly cheap only like $70 i think?

its blue. brand new.

maybe you can try putting a thirsty hippo in to see if it works better. could be the silica gel being too weak, having a damp item (neck strap) inside, faulty hygrometer, leaky box, etc :dunno:

i don't use that white box of silica gel cos i don't think it's very effective.

$70 for a dry box that have to pump.. might as well top up to get an electric dry-cabi?

It does take some time. If you are in a hurry, just throw in a "Thirsty Hippo", as mentioned by a lot of fellow CSers here.

look at getting a pump handle one... i bought one at cathay a while back... pump out the air so the humidity becomes less it works pretty well and their fairly cheap only like $70 i think?

wow.. just a crazy thought.. why not try keeping equips inside those 'space / vacuum bags' where you use vacuum cleaner to suck out the air from the airtight bag? Its like shrinkwrapping your lens everytime you store it. how would vacuum storing condition compared to low-humidity storing condition? would it work??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.