is my equipment good enough?

quain

Aug 10, 2010
Hi,

I am new to photography, I love to take candid shot n some landscape n decoration photo, also my son school performance like school concert. Currently this r the equipment I have:

EOS 6D
24-70MM F2.8L MK1
70-200MM F4 non IS

Dun Noel whether is my equipment good enough?

Hi,

I am new to photography, I love to take candid shot n some landscape n decoration photo, also my son school performance like school concert. Currently this r the equipment I have:

EOS 6D
24-70MM F2.8L MK1
70-200MM F4 non IS

the question you should be asking is "am I good enough?" :bsmilie:

but yes the gear should be enough.

Hi,

EOS 6D
24-70MM F2.8L MK1
70-200MM F4 non IS
600RT-EX flash

I suppose I am not good cox just started, now still looking at how to get good composition photos. Is there a need to upgrade to Mk2 for my 24-70mm n 70-200mm f2.8? And getting a 16-35mm ?scare spending too much to learn

I suppose I am not good cox just started, now still looking at how to get good composition photos. Is there a need to upgrade to Mk2 for my 24-70mm n 70-200mm f2.8? And getting a 16-35mm ?scare spending too much to learn

if you got the money and think upgrading to Mk 2 will help get better photos (it won't) why not? :cool:

So from what u say mk2 doesn't have big different in the photo quality? Also 70-200 f2.8 is a heavy fellow is it worth to take candid shot using tat lens? Is my f4 good enough?

Hi,

EOS 6D
24-70MM F2.8L MK1
70-200MM F4 non IS

U are already using considerably the mid tier or higher equipment already. So.. do you think it is good enough? Yes they are. But they are still not the best yet.
Moving on. Now are you good enough? The equipment would only be as good as the user. :)

Hi,

EOS 6D
24-70MM F2.8L MK1
70-200MM F4 non IS

Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

I'm really2 confused.. $2000+ full frame camera, 2+ years since you joined Clubsnap, with 2 L lenses (and probably more), and you still need to ask this question? ;p

to learn composition you dont need F2.8 lenses.
If the 24-70 is not wide enough for you.. and you can afford a 16-35 then just go ahead..If you are unsure..you can rent them.

Some people would tell u this. If you dontknow how it can help you or unsure about what you are buying. Dont buy. However, end of the day its really up to you. :)

Thanks a lot.

Btw wat is ur opinion on having a f4 n f2.8 for 70-200mm?

N getting a battery grip?

Short answer - They make your job easier.

long answer - Too much to explain....it really depends. You need to do research on what and how the battery grip can do or works for you and whats the differences between F4 and F2.8. If you need, you need to buy. No choice. However most people buy because they want, can afford or to look cool.

no right or wrong tho.
I always said. As long end of the day..you are happy. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi,

EOS 6D
24-70MM F2.8L MK1
70-200MM F4 non IS

these are very PRO gears, if it is still not good enough, noting is good enough.

Thanks a lot.

Btw wat is ur opinion on having a f4 n f2.8 for 70-200mm?

N getting a battery grip?

more expensive and more heavier on your set up, it definably make you look very pro.

it will make you produce many more and shaper of the same kind of photos you always shoot at a faster rate.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

I'm really2 confused.. $2000+ full frame camera, 2+ years since you joined Clubsnap, with 2 L lenses (and probably more), and you still need to ask this question? ;p

more like, if you have the above equipment and you have to ask this question, you should probably as whether your skills is good enough :bsmilie:

there's only one thing u need to upgrade, ur "photography skills" .

You can look in the mirror, or at your produced photos, to ask if you are good enough to push your great gear to its limits.

Wise man tell me:
"Buying better gear to take crap photo, only make crap photo more sharp. Still crap photo!"

I would like to think...TS dosent really know what he is buying. :dunno::confused:

TS: Read more and shoot more. Then u will know more. ;)

Thanks a lot for the advise, I will need to train more.

Thanks a lot for the advise, I will need to train more.

Camera body and lenses wise, you are alright... man... I wise I have the same equipment as you. Anyway, what you should do now is to improve on your techniques... however there are things that you might also look into and think of getting if you have not,

1) Dry cabinet (very very important, top in the list... Singapore [if you are from here] is a humid place, you do not want a garden to start growing in your camera.
2) monopod/ tripod or both (with a good tripod head)
3) flash (430EXII or 580EX should be good enough or the much cheaper third party option like the Yongnuo [I have one and loved it to bits] and Nissin)

2 pieces of advice:
1. Read more
2. Shoot more
Only then, you will find the answers to your question and reach the stage of enlightenment. :)