Is my CRT monitor dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrinx

Nov 5, 2004
Bartley Rd / Upper Paya Lebar
My image CRT monitor has been flickering on me for the past 3 weeks? It has never done this prior to 3 weeks ago. Does this mean it's about to go kaput?

If so, I've got to start thinking about replacements. CRT vs LCD etc etc... and must start finding money already. :)

flickering, change of colour, on and off are signs of old age. hmm to me crt has better colours. I owned like 6 lcd's already, but i'm getting back to crt
. but if u like the looks, less strain on the eyes, get the lcd.

If cost is an issue, go with CRT. its dirt cheap now and you can't go wrong. :D

Go to SLS and look for shops that sell 2nd CRT. can get really big ones @ good prices. Maybe even indulged yourself with a.. a.. "It's a Sony.." ;p

for monitors, bigger screen is always better

for me, minimum is 19"
:)

I like the looks of a LCD monitor cos you know, slim & sleek. :) Less eye-strain also important consideration cos I spend quite a bit of time on the computer.

But but but, 19 inch LCD quite ex right? What's the price now & what are the good brands/models?

If you wanna change to LCD, you have got to get another graphic card that can support DVi and the LCD which can also support DVi.... Its got to be an investment.... Heard that LCDs can last 50,000 hours and philips lcd even give 3 years warranty.

50,000hrs / 8hours usage a day / 365 days = 17 years of usage... dont know how true it can be..

syrinx said:
I like the looks of a LCD monitor cos you know, slim & sleek. :) Less eye-strain also important consideration cos I spend quite a bit of time on the computer.

But but but, 19 inch LCD quite ex right? What's the price now & what are the good brands/models?

I'm using a Samsung 910T (19") now, $888 only, cheap cheap, very affordable for people like you :sticktong

If you're into serious photo editing, make sure it's a 24bit panel. Just check with the sales people, if it's 16.7m colours, it's 24bit, if it's 16.2m it's 18bit. :)

If you want, you can come my house I can show you big big screen. Hehehe.

bigtummy said:
If you wanna change to LCD, you have got to get another graphic card that can support DVi and the LCD which can also support DVi.... Its got to be an investment.... Heard that LCDs can last 50,000 hours and philips lcd even give 3 years warranty.

50,000hrs / 8hours usage a day / 365 days = 17 years of usage... dont know how true it can be..

DVI is not necessary unless you really need it, but of course, if the LCD supports DVI, no point wasting it, but I'm still happily running analog off my LCD and I have no problems watsoever.

My samsung is also 3 yrs warranty :)

if getting LCD and you want the best, Sony is the choice.

Drudkh said:
if getting LCD and you want the best, Sony is the choice.

Isn't Apple the choice? :) Do correct me if I'm wrong...

SNAG said:
Isn't Apple the choice? :) Do correct me if I'm wrong...
Nope, i would still go for sony or eizo as mentioned by Adam. ;p

syrinx said:
My image CRT monitor has been flickering on me for the past 3 weeks? It has never done this prior to 3 weeks ago. Does this mean it's about to go kaput?

If so, I've got to start thinking about replacements. CRT vs LCD etc etc... and must start finding money already. :)

you are damm solid, can withstand flickering for so long. please get your eyes check as well. :bsmilie:

My advice, "Go buy a new one"

The last time my old monitor went kaput, I was quoted a repair bill of $300 for the 15" monitor when it costs exactly the same to buy a 17" monitor.

I'm eyeing the 30" ACD actually, cos it's 'wide' enough for me to open PS, NC and browser :bsmilie:

The new EZIO coming up actually offers up to 95% of ARGB gamut range, issit true? I'm a bit swayed again. Haha.

Syrinx, wanna take over my 2mths old 910T? :bsmilie:

Wah, so confusing man.... I just found out got such a brand as eizo!! :embrass:

Espn, your offer a bit tempting... Price must also be very tempting lah!!

ahbeng said:
you are damm solid, can withstand flickering for so long. please get your eyes check as well. :bsmilie:

Heh heh, it's an on & off problem so still can tolerate lah.... I'm somebody who can tahan something for very long one. HA HA HA...

syrinx said:
Wah, so confusing man.... I just found out got such a brand as eizo!! :embrass:

Espn, your offer a bit tempting... Price must also be very tempting lah!!
Don't worry la I also didn't, until I wanted to replace my CRT, then I found that the market is very low on CRT stock, especially the Sony ones, I gave up and took a switch to LCDs.

You can still get stock of the 910T at Challenger Funan, $889, you can compare the 710T and the 910T as they are on display, if your eyes are good, shouldn't be hard to tell the difference between the 18bit vs 24bit difference. :)

Not to mention the 910T has a 1000:1 contrast ratio. :devil: Heeheehee

syrinx said:
Heh heh, it's an on & off problem so still can tolerate lah.... I'm somebody who can tahan something for very long one. HA HA HA...
Yeah, this we all know, ;p and when you spend, it's really...

BUY BUY BUY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.